Apple Macbook Pro 2016 - Shipping

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks, I note that there are various reports of the MBP with Touch Bar starting to ship. Anyone ordered on in the UK and had their order go from Processing to Preparing for Dispatch?

I ordered on the day of the announcement but went for 16Gb over the base level. Mine still says 2-3 weeks 17-24 Nov.

I'm torn. I'm an Apple fan who owns a large chunk of their product lineup but the price hike for the new PRO line has put me off (and that's coming from someone who isn't as sensible with money as I should be).

I'm struggling to see the appeal.

Please do let us know what your impressions are when you get it.

I'm not fussed by the touchbar but was interested in the form factor so I popped into the Apple store and whilst it is smaller than the old one it isn't thaaat much smaller and not enough to make me go wow!

My local Apple Store still doesn't have them in.................

I'm still trying to justify it to myself to order one, i'd be looking at c£2.5k to get something vaguely future proof and powerful enough with reasonable storage etc and even then it would have a 6th gen Skylake processor. Just having a quick play around the web and I could configure a windows based system with a 7th gen Kabylake and more storage etc for half the price. As much as I hate Windows 10 ecosystem, £1200 in the pocket is a big draw!

Last edited:
I seem to have a little GAS for one but the price hike is silly and right now I can't justify. Maybe see what the NY brings. What typical windows based options are there for a decent editing laptop?

There is £100 off with John Lewis and Curry's (ends tomorrow), not a lot, but still better than nothing
They have it in stock (JL), but inly space gray, so need to figure out if i want that or wait till after christmas and see if any other offers come along.
I've tried 13' touch bar in store today and love it, new keyboard is very nice, so is the touch bar

I'm torn. I'm an Apple fan who owns a large chunk of their product lineup but the price hike for the new PRO line has put me off (and that's coming from someone who isn't as sensible with money as I should be).

I'm struggling to see the appeal.

Please do let us know what your impressions are when you get it.

Has it arrived yet?

Hi folks, sorry, have been away for the last 10 day taking photos and generally not worrying about life...bliss.

The MBP arrived whilst I was away. Sadly the shipping notification wasn't real, it hadn't actually shipped, they'd just sent the courier the shipping details in advance. Ergo, I had to leave for me trip without it. It arrived last Tuesday but I only got back last night. So far I've got as far as opening the brown box it was shipped in. I can't bring myself to tear open the cellophane wrap on the white box...:ROFLMAO:

Hi folks, sorry, have been away for the last 10 day taking photos and generally not worrying about life...bliss.

The MBP arrived whilst I was away. Sadly the shipping notification wasn't real, it hadn't actually shipped, they'd just sent the courier the shipping details in advance. Ergo, I had to leave for me trip without it. It arrived last Tuesday but I only got back last night. So far I've got as far as opening the brown box it was shipped in. I can't bring myself to tear open the cellophane wrap on the white box...:ROFLMAO:

:))) you'll just keep admiring the box?!
You got 13' right? Its not going to be your main machine? I am torn between 13' and 15'. I like how small and lightweight is 13' model, but as it will be my main computer, 15' should be better for every day photo editing..

:))) you'll just keep admiring the box?!
You got 13' right? Its not going to be your main machine? I am torn between 13' and 15'. I like how small and lightweight is 13' model, but as it will be my main computer, 15' should be better for every day photo editing..

Yup, been staring at the beautiful box. I've gone as far as to open it up and hold it so far...not opened the MBP itself. This takes time...:cautious:

Yes, Space Grey 13" 16Gb, 256GB SSD. This isn't my main machine, I have a 5k iMac i7 2015 upstairs. This is for using when travelling, on workshops, etc...oh and editing when watching TV :popcorn:

They turned up at the Apple Store in Liverpool today. I just happened to be off work and wondered in for a nose. Walked out with the Space Grey 13", 8GB, 512GB SSD model.

I wasn't sold on the bar until I used it.... fantastic.

My only complaint so far is the feel of the keyboard.

Now I've seen the 15" Space Grey and used the touch bar I must admit that I really like it. Fabulous machine.

I have had my 13 inch delivered and its a great machine.

Touch bar, is fiddly, but nice to have. The keyboard is very nice and is pretty quick to type on.

It is quick and responsive, I use final cut pro a great deal, and it works very well on this machine.

One mega issue I have is with the USB C - When I use a USB C cable with my Samsung T3 it runs at 38-40 MB/s, when I use a USB adapter and a USB 3.1 - USB C cable, it runs at 400 MB/s, crackers

Got my 15" touchbar model yesterday.
Sold the iMac to a friend so will be adding a display soon but no weddings to edit now until next year so no immediate rush.

Erm, it's still sealed in the box. Haven't had chance to open it yet.

I have been waiting for the new MacBook Pro for over a year now and I must admit the price is putting me off.
I currently have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 15" i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM with a SSD drive.
The bulk of my usage has been Lightroom and it has really struggled with the Sony A7RII 42.2mp RAW files (80mb) but having recently moved to Fuji with 24mp (40mb) files the need for a replacement could potentially wait BUT the lack of a SD slot on future MacBook Pro's is also a negative.
So I am considering the 2015 MacBook Pro which Apple are still selling.......

I have been waiting for the new MacBook Pro for over a year now and I must admit the price is putting me off.
I currently have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 15" i5 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM with a SSD drive.
The bulk of my usage has been Lightroom and it has really struggled with the Sony A7RII 42.2mp RAW files (80mb) but having recently moved to Fuji with 24mp (40mb) files the need for a replacement could potentially wait BUT the lack of a SD slot on future MacBook Pro's is also a negative.
That is what I ended up doing - got a quad core i7 16GB 512SSD for basically £1,300 less (it was refurbished from May 2016) then what a new one would have cost.

Although having seen the new one and used it in store, and especially in Space Grey, it is a work of beauty. I couldn't care less about a built in SD Card slot myself. Mine is hooked up to a thunderbolt dock as it is anyway. Part of me wished I was willing to wait and work another day or two. I was just so fed up with my Windows machine :(

I think if you are considering the 15inch then its a good idea, especially just for stills, video is a different matter.

for a 13inch, the size of the new 13inch is fab, its the weight of an air, but with much better performance. For me the 13 inch is the only portable size I want. Sure the Mac Pro at home kicks its butt ox. However the 13inch is amazing travel machine, so glad I updated. The touch bar is nice to have but not essential.

Is this the first time ever an apple product has been launched where the response from fans is different to "please take my money"?

I was listening to a podcast yesterday where the guy had pre ordered the top spec macbook pro (4K+!!!!!) and has already sent it back as it was essentially the same as what he had already - without an SD card slot! The same guy has appleitis so surprised to hear that.

Is this the first time ever an apple product has been launched where the response from fans is different to "please take my money"?

I was listening to a podcast yesterday where the guy had pre ordered the top spec macbook pro (4K+!!!!!) and has already sent it back as it was essentially the same as what he had already - without an SD card slot! The same guy has appleitis so surprised to hear that.

No the MacBook Pro is updated yearly but for some reason this year everyone wanted a revolutionary laptop. The one I have bought is far far better than my 2013 model. Yes it costs a lot, but so does my car, and its a lot better than my 2013 one. Now if you think all cars are cars and all laptops are even (apart from the specs) the MacBook Pro is not for you.

Personally I liked the exclusivity they used to carry, then everyone got one.

How are people getting on with the keyboard?

I'm not loving it. The lack of play in the keys makes typing louder and the amount of times I seem to miss type and have to rewrite the whole sentence.

Loud typing? That brings back memories of the old IBM AT keyboard, now that was click!

How are people getting on with the keyboard?

I'm not loving it. The lack of play in the keys makes typing louder and the amount of times I seem to miss type and have to rewrite the whole sentence.

Frank Doorhof did a quick review and the one thing he said he did not like was they keyboard, he said it felt very cheap and not nice to use.

My current MacBook Pro is close to 2 years old now and although I considered getting a new one I'm going to give it a miss as there is too much I don't like about the new one.

No the MacBook Pro is updated yearly but for some reason this year everyone wanted a revolutionary laptop. The one I have bought is far far better than my 2013 model. Yes it costs a lot, but so does my car, and its a lot better than my 2013 one. Now if you think all cars are cars and all laptops are even (apart from the specs) the MacBook Pro is not for you.

Personally I liked the exclusivity they used to carry, then everyone got one.

I quite like the fact that not everyone will have one of these. Their loss imho. Love mine.

Frank Doorhof did a quick review and the one thing he said he did not like was they keyboard, he said it felt very cheap and not nice to use.

My current MacBook Pro is close to 2 years old now and although I considered getting a new one I'm going to give it a miss as there is too much I don't like about the new one.

You have a bit of a problem then, because you'll hate the next one even more. Think about it, Apple are not likely to bow to pressure to reintroduce technologies that they think are archaic, like Ethernet or USB ports. Not only would they be hugely criticised for it, not least by other manufacturers who are now scrabbling into adopt USB-C as standard offerings, but to do that they'd have to compromise the design by making the MacBook thicker. The keyboard too, it's just not going to more 'more travel', again, it would affect the form factor. Of course, they might be able to improve it, but the design fundamentally isn't going to get 'fatter'.

Of course, the next one will be Kaby Lake and therefore will be able to adopt more RAM, but then the current models are not exactly slouchy either. The price is off-putting too, but then prices are up across the industry, it's not limited to Apple. I doubt the next will be any cheaper.

Now if you think all cars are cars and all laptops are even (apart from the specs) the MacBook Pro is not for you.

But you don't buy an expensive car and expect it to feel cheap and the same for laptops. I've not tried one yet, hopefully will this weekend but that's based on reviews.

My gripe is the removal of the magsafe, dont understand why they would remove that other than hoping people will break the MacBook and buy a new one...

But you don't buy an expensive car and expect it to feel cheap and the same for laptops. I've not tried one yet, hopefully will this weekend but that's based on reviews.

My gripe is the removal of the magsafe, dont understand why they would remove that other than hoping people will break the MacBook and buy a new one...

Yeah, I agree with what you say with magsafe, but again, was perhaps too big. Could have maybe redesigned to be slimmer? Though of course, there is a 3rd party USB-C magnetic dongle thing...and you could still use any port. Not sure how good it is, but if folks are that worried...

Have all non Mac laptops broke because they don't have magsafe?

They don't feel cheap at all.

Have all non Mac laptops broke because they don't have magsafe?

They don't feel cheap at all.
I agree, MagSafe never been a selling point to me. I'd rather have just a single cable connected that gives me the power and IO connections.

Being able to charge from either side is very good! Something I've used already. Display is beautiful. Keyboard took some adjustment from the iMac but is getting better with use. After using for a while, you forget what you've come from and just get used to it.
Still waiting for release of the 27" LG display though.

had an imac for ages but never had a MBP before. been waiting patiently most of the year for this one to come out. Have to say, I am actually really pleased. The typing can feel loud but actually I like the feel of it. I had a Lenovo before (work laptop) and I am using the trackpad 100% more on the MBP already!! Hated it on the Lenovo, love it on the MBP.

Never had magsafe so don't know what I am missing, but never pulled a laptop off a table either (and had one for a LONG time now!) .

Like being able to charge from either side. A small thing, but actually when you are on trains and meeting rooms, it can actually be a real help!!

Haven't noticed an issue with the memory size (yet). fast enough for me for now.

Finding the touch bar actually quite useful for some things. A bit like the Apple Watch - not going to revolutionise the way I work, but some of the little things are really helpful in saving time/making things that bit easier.

Having to buy all the dongles? bought 1 so far. Will need to buy more in time, but so be it.

all in all, really pleased I waited for this :)

Back