Apple question

wegotitugetit

On the hit list !!!
Name
alex
Edit My Images
Yes
i have been so tempted to jump over to mac for a while

but as the new prices are way out of my league can any one tell me where is good for second hand as i want to avoid e bay

pref buy from a used shop my current budget is between £300 - £400 poss even a very good push £500 so any sugestion to what version and which one would be gratefull

i do like the flat screen i macs but little expensive for the 20 inch version at £800 area

I've recently picked up a black Macbook, previous to the current gen so quite new, for the bargain price of £450.

I'm still using my Vista PC for storage and the main bulk of my work but this is perfect for taking along on shoots and getting a head start on work etc. It might be a good idea to go down the same route perhaps? You can enjoy the best of both worlds that way...and look like a swanky sod when you get it out in Starbucks :LOL:

me neither lol for what i use a pc for i think i would be better to go over to mac plus i have a lap top so can do both and my brother wants a gaming pc which i have a decent machine so will sell for around £250.00 to £300 and then a bit more cash towards a apple

The problem with second hand computers in general is they get so, old so quickly. Macs in particular have a high initial purchase price and this is reflected in nearly new second hand models. After a couple or three years, nobody really wants them.

Apple themselves have refurbished ones from time to time on their site, which are as new, but you need to study the specs as they sometimes include additional ram as an expensive additional cost which may be included in current models.

The mac mini is a great machine if you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse. But even that is pushing your budget.

Good luck.
Graham

As above, I'd think twice about used. Having said that - I'm on a refurb macbook pro and I can't tell the difference. Saved a whole load of dosh and managed to get the next spec up plus a bit. Check the apple site on the bottom rhs - and look at refurb and clearance section which i think gets updated weekly.

Another thought - have you thought about getting a mac mini? Really good bits of kit, cheap and you can plug your existing usb keyboard, mouse and display in if you have - a good way to save some dosh and go mac.

I love my mac - some don't. I have to work on both, and I much prefer the mac, but I know it's a personal thing.

Good luck!

I second, no sorry third the mac mini.

I have one of the original Intel ones and it's still going strong after 4 years.

Fantastic machine and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.:)

It's worth hanging around until the next Apple product refresh as all the die hards tend to offload there existing kit to upgrade to the newer version.
There's a noticable spike in availability of second hand stuff just after new models/faster processers/etc... have been released.
I think the next expected one is in June, so not too long to wait.

I very much doubt that, as the new imac's and Mac pros have only been out a few week as it is.

Ahh, yesah. Had another look and the WWDC in June appears to be mainly an iPhone and OSX event.
It's unlikely there will be any new hardware (other than maybe an updaed iPhone) released. Sorry for leading you astray....

i want to avoid e bay

Why?

I run a G5 'alloy' tower at home that I got from flebay. You can get some really good bargains on what people regard as 'older' machines. Mine's plenty fast enough for every day use, runs OSX fine with CS3 Suite and plenty of other software. With Photomatix you do have to watch a little progress bar, but it's by no means slow, and I think all Photoshop tasks run without a progress bar coming up.

just sourced a power mac quick silver 1.5 gb for a little of £100 from e bay base unit and os system which was ok once i get into them i will def purchase a good model but for time being this will do needs a bit of memory but baring that good

Have a look here - £650 for an alu 24" iMac. Bargain if you get him down to £600.

As for used macs websites, try these:

www.2ndchancepc.co.uk
www.forevermac.com
www.clocktower.co.uk
www.macagain.co.uk
http://uk.secondhandmac.com/
www.cancomuk.com
www.jigsaw24.com
http://tcsmacs.com/default.asp?cid=2

Don't be perturbed by ebay though; a mate of mine just bought a quad core Mac Pro (the aluminium tower) for £300. The seller said it didn't work but after reinstalling software and update the processor drivers, it's working like a dream. Effectively he's got it half price.

+1 Mac Mini

If you didn't like it as a PC you could run it as a media centre TV.

The new mac mini is an absolutely rip off, it's actually quite disgusting how over priced the new one is. If you can get a second hand one of the first gen design then go for it, as for the new one, better off leaving it and going for an out and out desktop or laptop.

i'd have to say the mini is a good bet perhaps a little pricey but there you go, and the white macbook at the mo. its got all the internals from the metal macbook but £200 less...can't argue with that.
oh and I use a previous rev mac pro and macbook pro, not in a snobby way they're just wonderful to work on.
oh and just for laughs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id_kGL3M5Cg

Back