Apple Screens for PP

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Evening all

As you will see from the amount of posts on here I'm still a beginner when it comes to photography but I'm slowly building my kit up and learning new tricks(y)

I have a question to any photographers that use Apple macs/macbooks etc for PP. I'm looking to purchase an additional screen to run with my macboook pro for PP/Printing etc, I was in the Apple store today and had a look at the Cinema screens and was really impressed with the quality of the image and how good they look. However, I was reading the reviews for the screen and there have been a great deal of people saying that its no use for picture/photo work due to the gloss screen. Has anyone had this experience? I know I'm not a pro and will never take up photography as a profession so would it really have an impact on what i do?

Scott :)

Thanks Phil, I dont think I can use the Thunderbolt screen as my macbook doesnt have the Thunderbolt software on it. I had a look at the Thunderbolt in the shop and It looked absolutely amazing with very bright colours and good quality images!! You are making me jealous!!

Work in Photoshop and rest of CS5.5 most days in my profession and at home for leisure.

I use an imac and 15" macbook pro with standard screen at work. A 4 year old 17" macbook pro at home. I've had no real issues but would recommend the antiglare screen if you can run to it on a laptop.

About to upgrade to a new 15" macbook pro and antiglare hi res screen. Not got space for a Thunderbolt screen but if I did I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The thunderbolt is the same screen at the 27" iMac, which I find excellent for photo work. Now many will tell you it's too reflective, it can be an issue if poorly placed or with VERY dark images (I mean ones with lots of dark areas like black backgrounds) but it has never been an issue for me.

It will work with your macpro, you'll just not get the benefit of the thunderbird hub. At £900 your not quite upto an Eizo , but there must be some very good screens at that price form the likes of HP, Dell and the rest.

Last edited:
Does the thunderbolt screen have any height adjustment or would you need to stand it on a couple of spare phone books if you wanted it higher?

No height adjustment on the screen, in fact when you look at the screen, it's just an imac without the computer inside and minus the cd slot and audio in and out..

Has the same size, stand and connections + Thunderbolt

Resolution: 2560x1440 pixels
Colours (maximum): 16.7 million
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Viewing angle: 178° horizontal; 178° vertical
Brightness: 375 cd/m2
Contrast ratio: 1000:1
Response time: 12 ms

Height: 49.1 cm (19.35 inches)
Width: 65 cm (25.7 inches)
Depth (with stand): 20.7 cm (8.15 inches)
Weight: 10.8 kg (23.5 pounds)1

Built-in Thunderbolt cable
Built-in Universal MagSafe cable (up to 85W)

Three powered USB 2.0 ports
FireWire 800 port
Gigabit Ethernet port
Thunderbolt port
Kensington security slot

Built-in FaceTime HD camera with microphone
Built-in 2.1 speaker system (49 watts)

£899

Last edited:
Back