Appleby Horse Fair - anyone been?

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,

I have relatives who live within walking distance of Appleby and have invited us up next weekend to see the horse fair. I have seen some photos from the event but I was wondering if anyone had any advice - better to take a long or short lens and are there any activities or people that you are best not to photograph?

If anyone has any galleries of the event I would love to see them for inspiration. Thanks.

Hi, just seen this. I've just booked a trip by the local coach company on Sunday, so I'll be there sometime after 11AM.

Started a thread here:-
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/aplleby-horse-fair-anyone-going-on-sunday.545398/

I've been before. It's certainly different. I'm not sure that a short lens would be a good idea. Some of the "visitors" can be a bit iffy if you stick a lens up their noses. And don't try and take a photo of the fighting cocks - the bird variety - they really don't like that!

But it's good for seeing a different side of humanity and a different lifestyle. Some of the travellers are real diamonds, others are just the opposite.

You can get right down to the river side in the centre of town where they go to ride thier horses for a wash. Most do it bareback, and the water gets deep in the middle. Good fun to watch. Then you must walk up the hill to the main camping ground. One side of the road is full of camping and the other is full of stalls and traders.

Only photo I put on flickr is this one, which is still getting regular hits.

Wear a longer skirt, dear! by Frank Yates2010, on Flickr

It's definitely worth a visit, but be prepared for a massive crush of humanity. If you want food and drink take it with you, and make sure your wallet and phone are very secure!

If you're going there on Sunday give me a shout.

my parents live just down the road in Hoff but I've never been on fair week. the main thing I've heard wrt photography is that the women are generally happy (and even keen) to be photographed but the men are for various reasons extremely anti-photograph. I'd probably avoid long lenses personally.

Generally speaking though if you keep your wits about you it's supposed to be good fun.

If anyone has any galleries of the event I would love to see them for inspiration. Thanks.

Here you go. https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=54050400@N05&q=Appleby

Got sick of changing lenses. Last year I just took an 18-135mm (on APS-C), and also my little Pentax Q with a fisheye, but only took half a dozen pictures with that

I've never had any bother at all. Just take the precautions you would take anywhere else where there are crowds of strangers and drink is available. In addition, especially on the flashing lane have your wits about you. Horses don't have good brakes, and I've seen one or two accidents.

I'm hoping to go on Friday

Deffo be careful. You only need some "hardman" thinking you're photographing for the wrong reasons to have a ton of bricks (you can change the B to a P if you want) surrounding you demanding your equipment.

Deffo be careful. You only need some "hardman" thinking you're photographing for the wrong reasons to have a ton of bricks (you can change the B to a P if you want) surrounding you demanding your equipment.

That's one of the reasons for a 70-200. Distance equals safety!!!

Thanks for the replies. I couldn't remember my password to log on from my phone, but they were useful. The weather just about held on Sunday, hope any else there had a good time.

I took the 70-300 (on an FX) in the end and it was useful to getting close-ups of the riders in the river, although I never noticed any problems or issues there, plenty of people with cameras all around the river bank.

The flashing was good fun, although can't get far enough away to get a good pan-blur, will need to sort through my shots at some point to see what came out.

Back