Archer in Dungeon (additional image added)

Name
Marcus
Edit My Images
Yes
Friend of mine uses a natural wood bow and so we set-up this shot and I produced this composite. The background is a free digital download from the interweb somewhere with lighting effects and blending added by myself in CS5.

All lighting is Lencarta Elitepro 600W fired using RF602 triggers. Gridded softboxes at about 2 and 10 o clock, with a 40cm beauty dish at 7 o clock and high above camera. Canon 5D with 24-70 F2.8L.

C&C Welcome.

14/52 - Archer composite by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

EDIT: Additional image

Pete Archer Composite 2 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

EDIT EDITED: Another one

Pete archer composite 3 by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am looking at it on my phone right now and all I can say is Fantastic. I will look at it on my PC later where I'm sure it will look better still. Love the processing. Well done.

Very very nice, looks almost like a still from a blockbuster film. Super editing there.

Superb work, Marcus, the portrait is very nicely lit and processed in it's own right, but the compositing has also been really well executed.

Very well done.

Wow, that's realy really good.
Normally it wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I have to say this really does like a movie poster.
Outstanding work.

Cracker that. :clap:

(sorry but not much more to say)

Just checked this and have to say I'm a bit taken aback by all the positive comments. I didn't put this up just to have everyone stroke my ego, as I'm always looking to improve and TP have generally been right on with C&C.

For reference the archer is the same shot taken three times with three different focus points then put together using masks. The detail in the light goes as far as drawing floating dust spots in the light rays to try and give it some atmosphere.

Please may I join your fan club / subscribe to your newsletters?

Superb!

Only minor cc, maybe a little too centrally composed - but that's my imVho.

Once again you have demonstrated a unique style.

Keep up the good work.

Dav.

Superb image although I would have liked to have seen the arrowhead.

Please may I join your fan club / subscribe to your newsletters?

Superb!

Keep up the good work.

Dav.

Thanks Dav and if you want to join my fan club you will have expanded it's ranks to a massive.... 1. :D

Superb image although I would have liked to have seen the arrowhead.

Thanks, have a few more pics to process which include 1/2, 3/4 and full length so I'm sure the arrowhead will make an appearance! ;)

I like the processing, lighting and style but as an archer I find the pre-draw pose awkward and think that a mid to full draw pose would bee much better, but also appreciate how difficult that can be to maintain with a decent bow.

Mike

I agree with this and also that it would be good to see the arrowhead. If you could achieve that Marcus it would be an extraordinarily good shot as opposed to one that is fantastic! (y)

ok, i am going to buck the trend... but firstly, well done for what you have done.. some pretty good photoshoppery going on there.. (please teach me)

as to the "image" for to me, it is no longer a photo.... it looks like a still from a ps3 or xbox game...

I like the processing, lighting and style but as an archer I find the pre-draw pose awkward and think that a mid to full draw pose would bee much better, but also appreciate how difficult that can be to maintain with a decent bow.

Mike

I agree with this and also that it would be good to see the arrowhead. If you could achieve that Marcus it would be an extraordinarily good shot as opposed to one that is fantastic! (y)

We both agreed that a drawn bow inside, and a shot taken from that angle, i.e. from in front, was just dangerous so this is as drawn as the bow ever got. I'll try and process and post some more shots in this thread over the next few days which show more of the archer and the bow. Thanks for the comments guys.

ok, i am going to buck the trend... but firstly, well done for what you have done.. some pretty good photoshoppery going on there.. (please teach me)

as to the "image" for to me, it is no longer a photo.... it looks like a still from a ps3 or xbox game...

Now this is the question. The background isn't a photo and the base element is a free digital download, but it had to be fixed with all the light elements added. The portrait itself was three photo's with a load of masking, has had detail enhanced with a set of contrasting blending layers which uses a blur as a sharpen :)geek:) then some very serious hard and soft non-destructive dodging and burning going on, then some noise techniques to enhance an illustrative look, then some selective blur, then a selective high pass sharpen. Did I mention selective and global colour and white balance blending? When I get on my main PC, I'll post up the original portrait shot so you can see the original.

Is this still a photo? I nearly didn't post this and a few of my recent others because I'm not sure if they are the sort of thing TP is about ? Does my latest evolution of my photography style qualify still as photography? Answers on a postcard please!

loving that!

Thanks.

Is this still a photo? I nearly didn't post this and a few of my recent others because I'm not sure if they are the sort of thing TP is about ? Does my latest evolution of my photography style qualify still as photography? Answers on a postcard please!

Thanks.

that is the question.......... with no true answer. My opinion is that your image looks more CGI than a photo, so therefore the default is No.

Others may disagree.

that is the question.......... with no true answer. My opinion is that your image looks more CGI than a photo, so therefore the default is No.

Others may disagree.

Very fair comment. Can't disagree with your post at all.

Speaking as someone who is really only just starting to drag myself into the world of digital PP I see what you are doing as just a seamless natural progression to what I'm attempting.
After many years in the darkroom with film I'm finally starting to understand this digital lark :)

I really like this!

I agree it doesn't really look like a photo any more but I think it still qualifies as photography.

I'm fascinated by these images and yours is excellent!

Any chance of a quick run through;)

Speaking as someone who is really only just starting to drag myself into the world of digital PP I see what you are doing as just a seamless natural progression to what I'm attempting.
After many years in the darkroom with film I'm finally starting to understand this digital lark :)

Thanks. I'm interested to see what others think as I think more natural classic photographers may feel differently.

Would you mind posting the originals? IE. the portrait photo and the backround?

I'll try and do that tomorrow when I get a bit of time in my home office.

I really like this!

I agree it doesn't really look like a photo any more but I think it still qualifies as photography.

Thanks. Part of the training was to achieve a photography style that allowed a relatively easy composite, so although the output maybe doesn't look very natural, the photography is still quite involved.

Marcus!!!! Way to go. This is right up my aAley. and should be babes with Weapons and made into calendars sold to Sci-Fi Loons.

i have not any for 3 years now. but I need to start doing more again...........

Best work I've seen in a long time.

Blimey! Compliment indeed!

I'm fascinated by these images and yours is excellent!

Any chance of a quick run through;)

I've spent a lot of time, effort, blood, sweat, tears, and money to bring my photography and photoshop techniques to a point where I can produce images like this so the most I will give away is what I've posted above in post 21. All I will add is to give Pete the general look he has from the original, is some very involved dodging and burning.

One of my old ones Marcus...

Nice! You look good in leather and a wig.

Last edited:
daryl.jpg

Superb!

Keep up the good work.

Dav.

totally agree....great work, and yes it does look more like cgi than an actual photo, but pushing the envelope is what it's all about isn't it?

compostion is the onslight niggle for me too, would prefer to see the archer more to the right although it takes nothing away from the technique you've used!!

totally agree....great work, and yes it does look more like cgi than an actual photo, but pushing the envelope is what it's all about isn't it?

compostion is the onslight niggle for me too, would prefer to see the archer more to the right although it takes nothing away from the technique you've used!!

Thanks and I think I might end up with a split camp about whether this is true photography or not!

And the original shot. Although this is three images with different focus points blended together using photoshop masking, this otherwise is sourced from straight out of camera raw images before I did any work to the image.

Original Portrait shot for 14/52 - Archer Composite by Marcus Charter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Is it photography? yes, because of the tools you use to capture the image.
Is it a photograph? IMHO NO, it is a composite of several images and manipulated.
Not to take away the fact that I still think it is a great final picture.

Is it photography? yes, because of the tools you use to capture the image.
Is it a photograph? IMHO NO, it is a composite of several images and manipulated.
Not to take away the fact that I still think it is a great final picture.

yep i agree.

Very talented in the use of photoshoppery though... and a big (y) to that..

Back