Architecture Lens

Edit My Images
Yes
Recommendations on a post card.

Not tilt and shift though.

Was looking at buying a 10-20 but just thought i'd throw the floor open and ask.

Just a tad concerned about Distortion...

So am I , Bob, I have a T/S 24mm L which I bought some years ago for a specific project, superb, but I now feel it is surplus to requirements for general use, and am considering selling it.
Just the job, I'd have thought.
George

I think the 10-20mm is very popular, thats the one i'll be getting for my architecture shots :)

I use the 10-20 sigma everyday for interior and exterior shots. Provided you keep it straight and level on all axis then it's great. If there are verticals near the edge of the frame then they can develop a slight curve.

lots of examples on my website if you want to take a look!

The main problem with it is if you have a high building. You cant get close enough to fill the frame without tipping the camera back and then the verticals go mental, but it's the same with any lens to a degree. Only photoshop or a PC lens will save you then!

surplus to requirements for general use, and am considering selling it.

For that reason.....Architecture does, and will, make up alot of my shots....but not enough to justify a specific lens. I can't see this being too handy for general shots.

Maybe i'm wrong? Could it be properly used as a landscape lens as well? *edit* ok after research it can be landscape*edit*

another reason is cost over a 10-20 or a prime....

Two points, Supersat, firstly I assume you'll never go full frame as your 10-20 won't work on it, and secondly......you could make me an offer!!

George

For that reason.....Architecture does, and will, make up alot of my shots....but not enough to justify a specific lens. I can't see this being too handy for general shots.

Maybe i'm wrong? Could it be properly used as a landscape lens as well? *edit* ok after research it can be landscape*edit*

another reason is cost over a 10-20 or a prime....

The TS-E24L works fine as a standard 24mm when set into neutral. It's not quite up to the standard of the 24L prime but will still be my favoured choice against a zoom. I have all three Canon TS-E's and they're excellent at doing what they're designed for.....the exact usage you're intending.

Bob

you could make me an offer!!

Would love to but I dont have that kind of money about at the moment....:D

FF wise.....maybe in the future....i figure I may as well buy for what kit I have now and then If i do upgrade then sell the 10-20 and get a 17-40L or similar...

If your planning on much architecture a TS lens is really the only choice. You can correct is PS later, but getting correct at the first stage is preferable, especially if your going to be doing this a lot. It can also be used for landscapes as mentioned. It's much easier with a TS lens to set the camera using a spirit level, and drop or raise the front to put the horizon on a third rather then the middle. The only thing is with a 1.6 crop, the 24mm will be a bit limiting for larger structures.

:puke:sounds like this extension of a hobby is going to cost me an upgrade to FF.....

I was thinking that 24 was a bit long.....

I think for the time being a 10-20 is going to be the best option then...?

Although I totally agree with all your posts i'm just not in a financial position to do it properly it seems..

I think for the time being a 10-20 is going to be the best option then...?

Only if you will (can) step back enough, keep the lens axis on the horizon, and then use only the top 50% of the resulting images. Otherwise the perspective distortion will drive you crazy (in addition to the optical distortion...).

If finances are an issue the 10-20 would give you nice ultra wide viewpoints you'll just have to be carefull with the converging verticals when you tilt the lens up at all.

Of course a 24 T/S on a 5D would be a better solution but I assume your money tree like mine has failed to grow the past few years.

Back