Are 1920 x 1080 monitors awkard for photos ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Guys,

Seen a good offer for a 22" 1920 x 1080 monitor but am concerned the res might be awkward for working with photos (nearly 2:1)

Do others use this res of monitor ?

If so how do you find it ? - i'm currently using 1685 x 1050

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

Guys,

Seen a good offer for a 22" 1920 x 1080 monitor but am concerned the res might be awkward for working with photos (nearly 2:1)

Do others use this res of monitor ?

If so how do you find it ? - i'm currently using 1685 x 1050

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

my iMac is a 24 inch 1920 x 1200 and it's fine.

For the last three years I've been using a laptop with a 17" 1920x1200 display. For six years prior to that I used a laptop with a 15.1" 1600x1200 display. I love high resolution displays and fully appreciate the amount of information that can be presented at once. No matter whether editing photos, surfing the web, checking email or working on spreadheets it is all good. I hate low resolution displays - irritating little things that require way too much scrolling. My bedroom laptop has a 12" 1280x800 display. Compared to my DTR it is a pain to use.

"Bedroom Laptop"...........:eek:

2:1 should not be much of a problem to work on any photograph providing the overall screen is big enough.

if you were trying to use that ratio on say a 17" screen for portrait images it may become a problem, on a 22" screen however its more or less equivalent to say a 17" screen with a ratio 3:4

if that makes any sense!

Oh, if we're talking aspect ratios rather than physical pixels, then 1920x1080 is your standard HD resolution and 16:9 aspect ratio. My main HDTV is 1920x1080 and that is exactly where I display my images at home. Where possible I will actually crop my images to 16:9 so that they fill the display perfectly, corner to corner. Where framing does not permit that, or aesthetics will be spoiled, I leave uncropped or crop in what ever other way is advantageous.

As far as working on images, what with tool palettes and toolbars and status bars and task bars to be accommodated, I don't see that there is any particularly useful relationship between the shape of a picture and the shape of the workspace. That said, for something like Photoshop or Lightroom, the extra width is probably a bonus, as they rob space from the sides of the screen far more than the top and bottom.

Just because the monitor res is almost 2:1 doesn't change the way the images will look. Just changes the amount of real estate on your screen.

I'm using a 24" 1920x1080 monitor right now, and it's very nice to use! Takes a bit of getting used to, but when you do it's hard to believe how you coped before :D

It's fine for landscape format images, but not so good for portrait.

With mine you can rotate the monitor by 90 degrees but try using the mouse then.....:puke:

you know windows can rotate the screen to match..

press ctrl and the alt key at the same time and while doing this hit the arrow key (or direction) that u want the bottom of the screen... so if u want ** screen upside down, hit ctrl alt and the up arrow

You can also pick up 2 monitors and run one in portrait and one in landscape. Using LR or Aperture or whatever you can then assign a photograph to either monitor given its orientation. You'll need a main monitor too, so 3 in total.

As for resolution, The bigger the better I find.

It's fine for landscape format images, but not so good for portrait.

With mine you can rotate the monitor by 90 degrees but try using the mouse then.....:puke:

I'm sure with Nvidia if you rotated your monitor display like that you could also set conditions for other hardware to change, like the settings for the mouse so it works with the new layout. If you don't have a Nvidia GC then you can always do it manually ;)

I'm sure with Nvidia if you rotated your monitor display like that you could also set conditions for other hardware to change, like the settings for the mouse so it works with the new layout. If you don't have a Nvidia GC then you can always do it manually ;)

You can also do it with ATI.

press ctrl and the alt key at the same time and while doing this hit the arrow key (or direction) that u want the bottom of the screen... so if u want ** screen upside down, hit ctrl alt and the up arrow

heh, then just rotate your head to match ;) (unless the screen rotates, but most dont)

I use a 24 inch 1920 x1200, which is great for editing images-but not so good for viewing images if the pixel size is 800 or less on the long side.

Similar problem when posting on TP.

I firstly re-size to 1500 pixels on the longside and sharpen at this size, then re-size them to 800 so I can post them here. At 800 pixels the image isn't large enough to assess the correct sharpening.

I would be more worried about the type of panel (you only want IPS type).

The resolution seems fine to me, it will work a treat with 2x open document on each side if you need to write reports or work with spreadsheets.

I am also a massive fan of the larger res screens.

Use them a lot for my college work so I can have research on one side and then my personal work on the other, also makes editing nice and easy as I can have all of my tools open as well as the image that I am working on

I use 1920x1200 on the Macbook Pro and Mac Pro which is very usable but strangely you get so used to it so quickly you always crave more. I am now looking at how I could afford a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I have just stuck a 15" syncmaster on the pro which is rotated by 90 degrees (there is a tick box on the mac to allow this) so effectively I have an extra 1/4 stuck to one side of the 24" on the pro! Just get the biggest you can afford at the quality that you need.

I doubt you are going to miss the 120 pixels off the bottom that a 1920x1080 would give but I just tried making the doc bigger by 120 pixels and it did make it a bit more awkward.

I always wondered with the larger monitors (say 26" or larger) whether it would be better value to buy a flat screen telly?

Oh, right, I guessed there must be some way of doing this......I'll jot that down and have a go!

Muchas gracias...

I always wondered with the larger monitors (say 26" or larger) whether it would be better value to buy a flat screen telly?

Just buy a Samsung, basically they're a monitor with a TV tuner inbuilt.

Back