Are any of England, Scotland, Wales or N Ireland Countries, or just part of 1 (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mind you I suppose he's as much "their's" as those two other great "English" sportspeople - the Canadian Greg Rusedski and the South African Zola Budd. :LOL:

Tenuous though their claims are, they are claims to be British, not English, so the Scots can be as embarrassed as the resat of us.

Mind you, if all the people in the World that claim to be Scottish visited at the same time it would get a bit crowded up there.

Mind you, if all the people in the World that claim to be Scottish visited at the same time it would get a bit crowded up there.

Good point, strangely though you never hear of anyone from other parts of the world claiming to be English, or celebrating their English roots, in the way those of Scots, Irish or Welsh descent do. ;)

Good point, strangely though you never hear of anyone from other parts of the world claiming to be English, or celebrating their English roots, in the way those of Scots, Irish or Welsh descent do. ;)

yes, the English never seem to have the insecurities of the minor nations in the Uk.

A bit off topic... One thing that annoys me though, when Scotland win something, eg if Andy Murray wins on the Tennis. He is a "British person that wins it", yet if he loses, He is a "Scottish person that loses it".

I think just over Five million would agree with you though !!!!!

Good point, strangely though you never hear of anyone from other parts of the world claiming to be English, or celebrating their English roots, in the way those of Scots, Irish or Welsh descent do.
Borrowed from FITP.
Graham, what have they got to celebrate ? !!!!!!

;):):D

I bet it's pretty common people don't know where they are until you say 'Next to England' though :LOL:

I was going to take the bait. You are not worth the bother though.
I am surprised the mods have let this tripe go though. Others have been banned for less. Their forum their rules I guess. :shrug:

Thanks for proving my point - absolutely no bloody sense of humour...:razz:

Notice how all the 'English' posters are laughing at you all bouncing off the walls over this now...

Why? 'cause we just don't care...:LOL:

Notice how all the 'English' posters are laughing at you all bouncing off the walls over this now...

They do get a bit excitable up don't they?

Must be all that fat in the diet.

Here's tae us, Whas like us? Gie few an thur aw deed

As the average Englishman moves about the home he calls his castle, watch him enjoy a typical English breakfast of toast and marmalade invented by Mrs Keiller of Dundee, Scotland; see him slipping into his national costume, a soiled raincoat, patented by Chemist Charles MacIntosh from Glasgow, Scotland. ; and follow his footsteps over the linoleum flooring invented in Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

On The Road

Out he goes - along the English lane surfaced by John MacAdam of Ayr, Scotland (known as the MacAdamized road), smoking an English cigarette, first manufactured by Robert Croag of Perthshire, Scotland. He hops aboard an English bus, which is using tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop, of Dreghorn, Scotland and later completes his journey by rail. (A reminder the James Watt of Greenock, Scotland invented the Steam Engine). At the office he is presented with the morning mail containing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers of Dundee, Scotland; and periodically during the day, he reaches for the telephone, invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born of Scottish parents.

At The Dinner Table

At home in the evening, our English cousin's wife is preparing his national dish of roast beef of old England - prime Aberdeen Angus, raised in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. This sets the patriotic heart beating a little faster, and he enters the dining room whistling "Ye Mariners of England" written and composed by Thomas Campbell of Glasgow, Scotland. After dinner there follows a scene typical of English domestic bliss. Young Albert is packed off to Boys' Brigade, founded by Sir William Smith of Glasgow, Scotland; Ted goes to the Scouts, the present Chief of which is Sir Charles MacLean of Duart, Scotland; and little Ethel plays on her bicycle, invented by Kirkpatrick MacMillan, a blacksmith of Dumfries, Scotland. Mother, in the kitchen, bleaches clothes with bleach invented by James McGregor of Glasgow, Scotland. dad listens to the news on the television, invented by John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an item about the United States Navy, founded by John Paul Jones, of Kirkbean, Scotland. Maybe, just maybe, he will remember that the radar with which the U.S. and other fleets are equipped was invented by Sir Robert A. Watson Watt, of Brechin, Scotland.

Homework

Once the children come home, Dad supervises the homework, using logarithms invented by John Napier of Edinburgh. The English course contains familiar books such as "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson, and "Robinson Crusoe", based on the life of Alex Selkirk, of , Scotland. If by now he has been reminded too much of Scotland, he may in desperation pick up the bible - here at last to have something without Scottish associations; but he is disillusioned - the first man mentioned in the bible is a Scot, James VI, who authorised its translation.

Its hopeless. Nowhere he can turn to escape the efficiency and ingenuity of the Scots. He could take a drink - but we supply the best in the world. He could stick his head in the oven - but the coal gas was discovered by William Murdoch of Ayr, Scotland. He could take rifle and blow his brains out, but. of course the breach loading rifle was invented by a Scot. Anyway, if he survived, injured, he would simple find himself on an operating table, injected with Penicillin, discovered by Alexander Flaming of Darvel, Scotland; given an anaesthetic discovered by James Young Simpson of Bathgate, Scotland; and operated on be antiseptic surgery pioneered at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. On coming out of the anaesthetic, he would probable take no comfort in learning from his surgeon that he was as safe as the Bank of England, founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

Poor fellow his only hope would be to receive a transfusion of good SCOT's blood which would entitle him to ask "wha's like us?"

oh dear, some people really do take life too seriously.

I like the last bit about Banks though, it is true we have a lot to thank Scots for RBS, HBoS

Last edited:
A bit petty considering that comment was a an ongoing joke he was having with Tim Henman and the English media blew it out of proportion....but hey why let the facts get in the way of pettiness ;)
I saw him make the remark about a Portugal game to a camera - Tim was nowhere to be seen, so it didn't seem like a joke between the two of them. Anyway, no matter, he's just one chap and his brother seems nicer anyway.

As the average Englishman moves about the home he calls his castle, watch him enjoy a typical English breakfast of toast and marmalade invented by Mrs Keiller of Dundee, Scotland;
blah blah blah, etc etc
Poor fellow his only hope would be to receive a transfusion of good SCOT's blood which would entitle him to ask "wha's like us?"
Ah, that's beautiful

(A reminder the James Watt of Greenock, Scotland invented the Steam Engine).

What tosh. The first steam engine was patented in 1668 by Thomas Savery who's an Englishman. It wasn't until 1765, a full century later, that Watt came onto the scene to make refinements to the steam engine. Furthermore, the first application of the steam engine into a locomotive was in 1814 by George Stephenson, another Englishman, who earned the title 'the father of the railway' and who's work was the catalyst to facilitate the industrial revolution.

Sadly my history isn't comprehensive enough to cover all those other claims (in fact I stopped reading more) but if they're anything like as inaccurate as the one above...:bang:

Last edited:

I am bouncing nowhere. Like I said you are not worth the bother.
I am not entering into an anti english slanging match either.

What tosh. The first steam engine was patented in 1668 by Thomas Savery who's an Englishman. It wasn't until 1765, a full century later, that Watt came onto the scene to make refinements to the steam engine. Furthermore, the first application of the steam engine into a locomotive was in 1814 by George Stephenson, another Englishman, who earned the title 'the father of the railway' and who's work was the catalyst to facilitate the industrial revolution.

Sadly my history isn't comprehensive enough to cover all those other claims (in fact I stopped reading more) but if they're anything like as inaccurate as the one above...:bang:

IIRC, Mr Bell was a clerk in the patent office and borrowed the idea of the telephone from the true inventor.

IIRC, Mr Bell was a clerk in the patent office and borrowed the idea of the telephone from the true inventor.

Something like that happened to the guy who invented the sewing machine didn't it? Gave up and went on a round the world trip, came back to find the Singer company making a fortune. Settled out of court quite amicably though I think.

I saw him make the remark about a Portugal game to a camera - Tim was nowhere to be seen, so it didn't seem like a joke between the two of them. Anyway, no matter, he's just one chap and his brother seems nicer anyway.

IIRC, he was coming back from the practise nets when he was with Henman, and Tim was off camera since it was an interview with Murry. Both player have said it was a comment said in jest and blown out of context

In fact a quick search and I found this...even from the Scot hating Daily Mail

Why joke is wearing thin for Andy

Let me return to the topic of Andy Murray and this whole anti-English argument for what I truly hope is the last time - although I doubt it.

Some of the nonsensical criticism Britain's No 1 has received is laced with such misplaced venom and outrage that it makes me despair.

So, for the hard of thinking, let me state here that: I did the interview with Andy Murray and Tim Henman a couple of years back where Murray talked about 'supporting whoever England were playing against'.

It was a clearly a sarcastic remark. He was responding to teasing from your columnist about Scotland's absence from the 2006 World Cup and derisive laughter from the mischievous Henman.

It was reported in that context in this newspaper at the time and the exchange was run as a transcript.

A couple of days later a red-top got excited about the comments, lifted a couple of them into a 'story' that took on a life of its own and from there the truth was lost.

It is astonishing how this has run and run.

An extremely talented columnist pal of mine declared unequivocally the other day that: 'I don't think his remarks about England were a joke. There are some people who just don't like the English and I believe in my marrow that Murray is one of them.'

Based on what?

I did the interview - and it was a joke, as I have said before.

But as I said...why let the facts get in the way of the English pettiness ;)

IIRC, he was coming back from the practise nets when he was with Henman, and Tim was off camera since it was an interview with Murry. Both player have said it was a comment said in jest and blown out of context

In fact a quick search and I found this...even from the Scot hating Daily Mail
Fair enough, I take it back.

Hold on, what's this...
"He doesn't drink"!
what kind of a Scotsman is he?

Dear Trig,

Can you understand the phrase, "Gwanbileyerheid"? If yes, please do so ;)

A word with Scottish origins, that has been adopted the Engerlish, seems, to me, describes you perfectly - Numptie! Or, to be perfectly correct - Numptie Troll.

As the average Englishman moves about the home he calls his castle, watch him enjoy a typical English breakfast of toast and marmalade invented by Mrs Keiller of Dundee, Scotland; see him slipping into his national costume, a soiled raincoat, patented by Chemist Charles MacIntosh from Glasgow, Scotland. ; and follow his footsteps over the linoleum flooring invented in Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

On The Road

Out he goes - along the English lane surfaced by John MacAdam of Ayr, Scotland (known as the MacAdamized road), smoking an English cigarette, first manufactured by Robert Croag of Perthshire, Scotland. He hops aboard an English bus, which is using tyres invented by John Boyd Dunlop, of Dreghorn, Scotland and later completes his journey by rail. (A reminder the James Watt of Greenock, Scotland invented the Steam Engine). At the office he is presented with the morning mail containing adhesive stamps invented by John Chalmers of Dundee, Scotland; and periodically during the day, he reaches for the telephone, invented by Alexander Graham Bell, born of Scottish parents.

At The Dinner Table

At home in the evening, our English cousin's wife is preparing his national dish of roast beef of old England - prime Aberdeen Angus, raised in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. This sets the patriotic heart beating a little faster, and he enters the dining room whistling "Ye Mariners of England" written and composed by Thomas Campbell of Glasgow, Scotland. After dinner there follows a scene typical of English domestic bliss. Young Albert is packed off to Boys' Brigade, founded by Sir William Smith of Glasgow, Scotland; Ted goes to the Scouts, the present Chief of which is Sir Charles MacLean of Duart, Scotland; and little Ethel plays on her bicycle, invented by Kirkpatrick MacMillan, a blacksmith of Dumfries, Scotland. Mother, in the kitchen, bleaches clothes with bleach invented by James McGregor of Glasgow, Scotland. dad listens to the news on the television, invented by John Logie Baird of Helensburgh, Scotland, and hears an item about the United States Navy, founded by John Paul Jones, of Kirkbean, Scotland. Maybe, just maybe, he will remember that the radar with which the U.S. and other fleets are equipped was invented by Sir Robert A. Watson Watt, of Brechin, Scotland.

Homework

Once the children come home, Dad supervises the homework, using logarithms invented by John Napier of Edinburgh. The English course contains familiar books such as "Treasure Island" by Robert Louis Stevenson, and "Robinson Crusoe", based on the life of Alex Selkirk, of , Scotland. If by now he has been reminded too much of Scotland, he may in desperation pick up the bible - here at last to have something without Scottish associations; but he is disillusioned - the first man mentioned in the bible is a Scot, James VI, who authorised its translation.

Its hopeless. Nowhere he can turn to escape the efficiency and ingenuity of the Scots. He could take a drink - but we supply the best in the world. He could stick his head in the oven - but the coal gas was discovered by William Murdoch of Ayr, Scotland. He could take rifle and blow his brains out, but. of course the breach loading rifle was invented by a Scot. Anyway, if he survived, injured, he would simple find himself on an operating table, injected with Penicillin, discovered by Alexander Flaming of Darvel, Scotland; given an anaesthetic discovered by James Young Simpson of Bathgate, Scotland; and operated on be antiseptic surgery pioneered at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. On coming out of the anaesthetic, he would probable take no comfort in learning from his surgeon that he was as safe as the Bank of England, founded by William Paterson of Dumfries, Scotland.

and you think you're the smart ones?

We live in the nice bit with the lesser counties (the lack of an r is intentional) do all the leg work :p

As an aside I think the seriousness banned section would greatly improve this thread :p

No, I don't know the phrase. But sorry if I upset you, I just thought your speach was a bit much, and deserved some teasing.

Oh, I'm not upset. Though I seem to have a better understanding of our common language than you do, I can spell 'speech' correctly. ;)

I am bouncing nowhere. Like I said you are not worth the bother.
I am not entering into an anti english slanging match either.

:LOL:

This is too funny...why bother posting anything at all in that case?

"gwanbileyerheid!"
...awesome...
...on a par with:
"hadawayanshyte!"

One thing that never fails to amuse is (some) Scots' vitriolic hatred for all things English, personified in the character of MacGlashan from the TV series 'Absolutely'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolutely_(TV_series)

Yes, it's all our fault, apparently...lol

Last edited:
One thing that never fails to amuse is (some) Scots' vitriolic hatred for all things English, personified in the character of MacGlashan from the TV series 'Absolutely'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolutely_(TV_series)

Yes, it's all our fault, apparently...lol

I think you are confusing TV with real life there, I've been meeting Scots all my life and never yet found one who hated all things English. We play the ABE game but it's just that, a game. If you do find Scots saying "the English this or the English that" they are generally of the same stock as the folk doon sooth who say "the immigrants this and the immigrants that", all just Daily Mail readers under the skin.

I do agree with your last sentence though :)

What does it matter, take all people as you find them and as they treat you.

Can`t be bothered with all this racist ******.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love a bit of English/Scottish banter but this is in serious danger of becoming serious. Can we rein it in a bit please or I may have to close it.

A few thoughts on this thread.

When Arkady posted his original drivel I thought this thread might go the way it has.
Never having used the report button before, but thinking this might be a good time to bring this to the Admin/mods attention, I gave it a wee poke. Even gave my reasons for doing so.

Result. Nothing.

This got me thinking. As Arkady is so clearly thinking he is superior to all Scots,Welsh & Irish & as the result from me poking yon wee report button was a big fat zero I am now assuming the admins/mods (with possibly one exception) are in agreement with him.
I then get to thinking that maybe they want an all English TP & us poor second rate Scots etc members are just to be tolerated.
Maybe somebody would like to clarify that one to a dunnderheided Scots man.

I would point out though that I at no time have gone in for slinging insults at the English or anyone else for that matter. This is the opposite of Arkady who feels he has to massage his king sized ego at others expense.
I have an English friend on here who has gone out of his way to help me when I get stuck with computers etc. Cheers Tom (erding) One day I will shake your hand.
I have also welcomed several English members to my part of Bonnie Scotland & have tried very hard to make sure they got the pictures they were after.
So you see not all Scots are English haters as Arkady would have you believe.
It all seems a bit petty to me.

A few thoughts on this thread.

When Arkady posted his original drivel I thought this thread might go the way it has.
Never having used the report button before, but thinking this might be a good time to bring this to the Admin/mods attention, I gave it a wee poke. Even gave my reasons for doing so.

Result. Nothing.

This got me thinking. As Arkady is so clearly thinking he is superior to all Scots,Welsh & Irish & as the result from me poking yon wee report button was a big fat zero I am now assuming the admins/mods (with possibly one exception) are in agreement with him.
I then get to thinking that maybe they want an all English TP & us poor second rate Scots etc members are just to be tolerated.
Maybe somebody would like to clarify that one to a dunnderheided Scots man.

I would point out though that I at no time have gone in for slinging insults at the English or anyone else for that matter. This is the opposite of Arkady who feels he has to massage his king sized ego at others expense.
I have an English friend on here who has gone out of his way to help me when I get stuck with computers etc. Cheers Tom (erding) One day I will shake your hand.
I have also welcomed several English members to my part of Bonnie Scotland & have tried very hard to make sure they got the pictures they were after.
So you see not all Scots are English haters as Arkady would have you believe.
It all seems a bit petty to me.

As mod (a Scottish one at that) had replied to Arkady's post before you had reported it, it's pretty safe to assume that it was already known about. Speaking personally, I took it as being in jest and, to be honest, you assumption about what Admin/mods want as far as English and Scots on this forum are, quite frankly, ludicrous.

With that in mind, I think what has started out as a bit of fun and banter has now lost any sense of both so it's time to draw the curtains on this one I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back