Are film cameras more sexy than digital ones?

What about the 6, if it isn't sexy, why isn't it ?
Does it look too modern, are we saying curves are out, even small radius curves.
Is it the lack of chrome detail, or is it just an ugly shape generally.
Well the 6 in many ways is ultimate medium format sensibleness - hand holdable, easily usable at eye level, no reversed image - 35 mm handling pretty much, so an all round desirable photographic tool. Not sure abput sexy though, I wouldn't want to play with it like I would with the F3 or the Bronny.

It just shows how irrational this all is I suppose. :shrug:

I keep looking at MF cameras and thinking, yes, they're hot. Right up to the point of getting home and thinking "right, let's get the memory card connected to the 'puter".

Fillum? No thanks! Retro look cameras? Ding dong!

There is something about a film camera in a nice fitted leather case, silver ones in particular. I have a super silette range finder I'll post a picture of later that will blow your mind.

Kodak Retina.. can you get sexier and more tactile than a folding camera with lever film advance?

Manual everything.. could automatic anything ever be sexy.. .. ?

What about the 6, if it isn't sexy, why isn't it ?
Does it look too modern, are we saying curves are out, even small radius curves.
Is it the lack of chrome detail, or is it just an ugly shape generally.

The lack of chrome is a small part of it for me. It's a very functional looking camera but it's too smooth and lacks texture to make it look interesting/sexy.

I was in a photographic shop years ago and I pro who I knew only vaguely had gone bust and was selling his gear including two black MX bodies. The shop were offering him derisory money despite the fact he'd bought most of his gear from there in the first place. The guy was desperate and near to tears but they wouldn't budge on the price. In the end I told him that if we stepped outside I'm sure we could come a better arrangement which would suit us both if he could follow me to nearest bank.

We did the deal which suited us both - I got the two bodies, a cracking light meter and some other bits and pieces, but I wasn't very popular in the shop for a while afterwards. :D

Not to try and be unpopular, but myself running an independent secondhand shop (video games and the like) I've banned customers before for doing exactly this kind of thing. This kind of vulture behavior literally steals business away from independents, whose overheads can be rather shockingly high. In my view, only if the selling customer categorically rejects the offer made by the shop and the shop won't go any higher is it ok to approach the person and make an offer on their gear, out of the store premises. Otherwise you are going into another mans shop and setting up camp trying to buy and sell where he is paying rent.

*And with that rant over...*:puke:

These are some bloody gorgeous 35mm bodies on here! :cool: The Konica Eyeborg does have a look of the Cylons about it though...

Not to try and be unpopular, but myself running an independent secondhand shop (video games and the like) I've banned customers before for doing exactly this kind of thing. This kind of vulture behavior literally steals business away from independents, whose overheads can be rather shockingly high. In my view, only if the selling customer categorically rejects the offer made by the shop and the shop won't go any higher is it ok to approach the person and make an offer on their gear, out of the store premises. Otherwise you are going into another mans shop and setting up camp trying to buy and sell where he is paying rent.

*And with that rant over...*:puke:

These are some bloody gorgeous 35mm bodies on here! :cool: The Konica Eyeborg does have a look of the Cylons about it though...

I hope you enjoyed your little rant. Not wanting to be unpopular and expressions like '"vulture behaviour" don't really sit too well together though do they?

If anyone was guilty of vulture behaviour it was the shop staff. He'd gone there with quite realistic and modest expectations of what he'd be likely to be offered and was being offered about half of what any reasonable person would expect to get.

They didn't bar me from the shop - I spent considerable amounts of money in there most weeks so that would have been pretty dumb of them don't you think?

I hope you enjoyed your little rant. Not wanting to be unpopular and expressions like '"vulture behaviour" don't really sit too well together though do they?

If anyone was guilty of vulture behaviour it was the shop staff. He'd gone there with quite realistic and modest expectations of what he'd be likely to be offered and was being offered about half of what any reasonable person would expect to get.

They didn't bar me from the shop - I spent considerable amounts of money in there most weeks so that would have been pretty dumb of them don't you think?

Fair enough, I'm just giving a direct comparison to my line of work thats all ;) Unfortunately we do get some people hanging around purely to try and pounce on people selling stuff to us to get it first :crying: Any customers who are regulars just get the standard "Please don't do that" from me though.

If the price offered to the guy in your example was daylight robbery though, surely that would affect your opinion of the shop in question? Have you shopped with/sold to that store on occasions after it happened?

Fair enough, I'm just giving a direct comparison to my line of work thats all ;) Unfortunately we do get some people hanging around purely to try and pounce on people selling stuff to us to get it first :crying: Any customers who are regulars just get the standard "Please don't do that" from me though.

If the price offered to the guy in your example was daylight robbery though, surely that would affect your opinion of the shop in question? Have you shopped with/sold to that store on occasions after it happened?

The shop ceased trading many years ago actually - around the time Jessops were taking over the world. I did continue to use it because it was reasonably local and I needed regular supplies of film, paper and all the rest of it. I just wouldn't have dreamed of trying to trade gear there.

i like (and own) an OM10, not sexy i guess but solid little slr

Defo more sexy, mainly due to them being a far better tactile experience.

Hello Old Friend by The Real Ffoeg, on Flickr

I love my FA and have done since the day I bought it '85, and could never dream of selling it. I really should run a roll through it :)

I can't remember if it's been mentioned already, but surely the Rolleiflex?

031_Rolleiflex_T_1958-xxxx.jpg

Not 'sexy', but once again I think very elegant.

IMHO this is the epitome of a sexy camera.

I would argue that it's not just confined to cameras - it's pretty much everything. Nobody takes pride in what they do any more. Hell, most things are designed to break when the warranty period is up so they can squeeze more money from you.

XgiZI.jpg

or

NLYJb.jpg

?

Put my first roll of FP4 into the Pentax ME SE tonight and the sheer excitement in taking that first shot was sooo cool. Its a different experience and I reckon its sexier!!!

I would argue that it's not just confined to cameras - it's pretty much everything. Nobody takes pride in what they do any more. Hell, most things are designed to break when the warranty period is up so they can squeeze more money from you.

XgiZI.jpg

or

NLYJb.jpg

?

Maybe, probably, or there's just a joy in using older technology for some of us. I know people who own expensive record decks, valve amps and vinyl collections because they reckon the sound is better (I'm just about tone deaf and can't comment); 1960s sports cars because they're more fun to drive and so on. I have an F2 and FM, and write with a pen that uses ink.

Maybe, probably, or there's just a joy in using older technology for some of us. I know people who own expensive record decks, valve amps and vinyl collections because they reckon the sound is better (I'm just about tone deaf and can't comment); 1960s sports cars because they're more fun to drive and so on. I have an F2 and FM, and write with a pen that uses ink.

I don't think i use film because it's an old medium, i use it because i prefer it to the alternative. In fact, i'd go as far to say that using new technology because it's new is even stupider. Film, Vinyl, Tube Amps, HAM Radio, old cars... even 4/8/16 bit computers - there are very strong cases for using them not because they're old, but because they're better. Or at the very least because they do different things, in a different way. But increasingly we're seeing that we don't get the option to. There's no money in that. The money's in releasing new products every six months that are ever so slightly better than the last one so everybody buys it even though they already have something that does exactly the same thing.

Maybe i was just born in the wrong decade, i don't know :p

I keep all my digital stuff in Peli cases, all the film stuff is kept in the display cabinet between uses!

I just adore the Nikon FM, it is the best looking camera I have and the cheapest. (£20 with 50mm lens, bag, flash, film, batteries, manual, strap....... :) )

Back