Are none formal academic organisations worth getting qualifications from?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
I was looking at The British Academy of Photography which isn't formally a college or university and they are accredited to BTEC for HNCs and HNDs in photography. For the HNC the home study is £1,195 which isn't bad at all compared to a college or university that would charge £9,000 for tution fees for one year for the HNC. I was wondering even though the HNC from The British Academy of Photography is formally accredited by BTEC is it worth getting over a college or uni HNC? The reason why is a professional place that wants to hire someone might frown on a HNC that isn't accredited by a college or univeristy. Do you think that NOT being accredited by a college or university might "close" some doors when prospecitve emoployers see that it isn't via a college or unviersty?

If it doesn't make any difference at all I would rather get a BTEC HNC via the British Academy of Photography and save myself £8,000, I just want to make sure that if I did go that route that perspective employers would be happy to take a none college or uni qualified person on. What are your thoughts on the matter?

From all the advice I’ve read on here over the years, I don’t think anyone looking to hire a photographer cares about qualifications at all, they’ll be interested in your output.

For a long time photography qualifications have been about personal development for your own satisfaction, not as credentials for employment (which is a whole other can of worms).

Simply my view of the world.

If your intention, where you refer to "employers", you mean those that will pay for your services as a freelancer offering weddings , portraits etc of social photography then as @Nawty says qualifications will count for little. Your body of work & portfolio will be your 'qualification' for those jobs.

If however you are looking for PAYE employment then (sadly?) in common with many skill based professions the way ahead has changed and many if not all organisations will expect to see some "formal qualifications"......................and within that there will be your course photographic work that show you can handle their more specific potential roles.

So to coin the phrase "the devil is in details" of what you hope to be doing with your photography

PS in the former, your ability to find clients will be more about your business/sales ability compared to if you are PAYE employed.

Yep, if you want to make a business from photography you are much better off getting training/qualifications in running a business.

BTEC would also provide the accreditation for an HNC etc at a college or university. I did a BTEC accredited science qualification in the early 80s at a technical college.

As the guys above suggest, these courses are generally not about teaching you how to be a competent photographer, able to embark on a career.

Last edited:
You mention employers. If you're looking for a job that will be employing you as a photographer (forensic photographer for example) I would imaging they would be looking to see formal quals on a CV. Awarding body (if that was your question) wouldn't matter I suspect.

If you're actually talking more about clients - i.e. you work for yourself and contract out, then as stated above, your work will speak for itself and marketing, sales & social media skills will get you more work than raw ability. As Brownie said - it will depend on your definition of "employer".

AFAIK, irrespective of where you study for your HNC in England, Wales and Northern Ireland it is awarded by BTEC. In Scotland the awarding authority is SQA.

Don't think you'll find many job ads in the BJP ... but it's'a good read.

The reason I thought it used to have a jobs section (as well as classifieds) was that..........................wracks brains! .........my brother 'back in the day' got the mag and thought he sometimes read that section????

Still is ...

Great that it still exists for those that want to hold & read what is a niche magazine.

Last edited:
A BTEC HNC in photography presumably has the same pass criteria no matter where you got it.. Now it's a long time since I made out a CV .. But do you actualy put where you got the qualification from or just the qualification?

Back