Are the Hitech Soft Grads too soft?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I own the Hitech soft grads for a while, and always have the same problem. I find the transition zone (from dark end to clear end) too wide. On the widest lens setting the transition zone covers 50% of the framein the middle, leaving only 25% fully dark on top and 25% fully clear on the bottom - if you know what I mean.
If I zoom slightly it is becoming pointless to use them, as I cannot fit fully dark and clear areas into the frame :/

Any clues/help?
Thanks
Pietrach

I think that I'm right in saying that they work best on full-frame sensors and 35mm film, as on a crop sensor, you get a more 'gradual' gradiation effect due to the smaller area of the filter that is covering the smaller lenses :shrug:.

I don't think that I explained it very well, but Rick is probably right (heh, Rick Wright - Pink Floyd humour :p), you might be better off with a hard grad on a crop sensor :|.

Thanks guys. I will stick to what I have for a bit longer just to make sure if I am better of selling them or just getting hard grads and use them both.

Back