Are there any good recruitment sites that advertise photography related jobs?

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been looking for possibly going for a photography assistant job and having been using job search sites like Reed.com, but to be honest they don't really host many photography jobs. Do any of you know of any good recruitment sites that offer photography style jobs other than the likes of Reeds.com and Monster.com? I am looking for a job in the north west of England mainly Manchester. Trying to figure out which specific websites host such jobs. Any feedback welcome.

I don’t know of any specific sites and I think you’ll need to get more proactive than that and actually talk to photographers and put yourself out there. Pretty sure no photographer can afford to use an agency, and few who can afford an assistant on a part time basis, let alone full time.

Being an assistant is a good way to get experience but don’t give up your day job... many people do it for free, just for the experience- it’s a very competitive market.

Last edited:
I suspect that you're looking at the right sorts of websites, but the reason you're not seeing any jobs advertised is that there aren't any such jobs. Or at least there aren't any that are filled by advertising on the open market.

A few years ago I wanted to recruit a customer service person. I put a tiny little advert in the local newspaper and I received 149 applications. Sifting through them was a *huge* amount of work, but as an employer you have to do it properly because you can't afford to run the risk of an unsuccessful applicant claiming that you discriminated against them. (As it was, my short list was 90% white despite the pool of applicants being much more diverse, and I agonised over that and thoroughly reviewed my selection criteria before concluding that I really had selected the "N" best candidates.)

These days the rise of websites such as Reed and Monster makes it far easier for people to apply for jobs for which they're really not suitable, which creates more work for the employer. Plus, I expect that reviewing the credentials for a photographer is much harder than for, say, an office administrator. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if employers who have such vacancies do everything they legally can to fill them without going out to the open market via jobs websites.

This is all speculation of course. Take it with a suitable punch of salt.

I have been looking for possibly going for a photography assistant job and having been using job search sites like Reed.com, but to be honest they don't really host many photography jobs. Do any of you know of any good recruitment sites that offer photography style jobs other than the likes of Reeds.com and Monster.com? I am looking for a job in the north west of England mainly Manchester. Trying to figure out which specific websites host such jobs. Any feedback welcome.

If you’re not a member of redeye, then it’s worth joining as sometimes assistant work comes up via their emails. It’s not a recruitment site, but worth keeping an eye on.

https://www.redeye.org.uk

I suspect that you're looking at the right sorts of websites, but the reason you're not seeing any jobs advertised is that there aren't any such jobs. Or at least there aren't any that are filled by advertising on the open market.

A few years ago I wanted to recruit a customer service person. I put a tiny little advert in the local newspaper and I received 149 applications. Sifting through them was a *huge* amount of work, but as an employer you have to do it properly because you can't afford to run the risk of an unsuccessful applicant claiming that you discriminated against them. (As it was, my short list was 90% white despite the pool of applicants being much more diverse, and I agonised over that and thoroughly reviewed my selection criteria before concluding that I really had selected the "N" best candidates.)

These days the rise of websites such as Reed and Monster makes it far easier for people to apply for jobs for which they're really not suitable, which creates more work for the employer. Plus, I expect that reviewing the credentials for a photographer is much harder than for, say, an office administrator. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if employers who have such vacancies do everything they legally can to fill them without going out to the open market via jobs websites.

This is all speculation of course. Take it with a suitable punch of salt.

And nowadays it is job seekers allowance to people have to be seen to be applying for jobs, which might be why you got so many applications.

Screening is really pretty simple, set your criteria first and then rank CVs against them objectively based on evidence. That covers you for any comeback and also allows you to sift them pretty quickly.

You might try ringing around the school photography companies. The start of the school term in generally a fairly busy time for them and they may still need more photographers.

Many of the guys and gals I worked with at Colorphoto also ran their own businesses and would chat to the newbies to see what experience they had and offer them evening and weekend work.

And nowadays it is job seekers allowance to people have to be seen to be applying for jobs, which might be why you got so many applications.

Screening is really pretty simple, set your criteria first and then rank CVs against them objectively based on evidence. That covers you for any comeback and also allows you to sift them pretty quickly.

You might want to pick up a newspaper, Universal Credit has been replacing JSA for 4 years now.

Whether people can or should just be scattergun applying for jobs they’re unsuitable for ought to not happen... but people are people.

You might want to pick up a newspaper, Universal Credit has been replacing JSA for 4 years now.

Whether people can or should just be scattergun applying for jobs they’re unsuitable for ought to not happen... but people are people.

Last I heard Universal Credit was on hold?

Last I heard Universal Credit was on hold?

That’s the problem with ‘the news’ it distils stories down into sound bytes. It leads people to believe things that are far from true. There are currently around one and a half million UC claimants, mostly former JSA claimants.

What’s ‘on hold’* is the forced migration of claimants from their legacy benefits and tax credits onto UC (managed migration). All new claims are straight to UC, along with what’s called ‘natural migration’ where people on a legacy benefit report a change of circumstances which moves them to UC.

*The ‘pause’ announcement is nothing more than news fodder. The way UC has rolled out includes periods of testing policy on small numbers, that was always going to happen with managed migration, but the numbers and timing have been changed (not dramatically). Most of these 5 million people to migrate are current tax credit claimants.

Last edited:

You need to quicken the process - I throw all the CVs towards the bin, those that don't land in the bin are lucky, so I interview them! :p

I started photography a couple of years ago and my friend recommended this to me and it's pretty satisfactory at the moment. http://biSPAM/2De4EVe

Last time we had a vacancy we used indeed, we got over 250 applicants, I think most are automatic as they are rubbish and don't even fill the criteria, we hate recruiting, its time consuming and generally just painful. its one of the biggest things that's stopped us expanding.

what type of photography are you trying to get into ?

Few years ago I was going through application forms for a job, one guy had put down something like " some skills used in previous job are not transferable" - used to be an army sniper.

And nowadays it is job seekers allowance to people have to be seen to be applying for jobs
Sounds exactly like it was in 1992 when I was briefly unemployed - you had to evidence that you were seeking work (copy letters, compliment slip from any employer you approached in person)... Not long after I started claiming, I took over the Job Club I attended (pretty much solely to get the stamps to send out my dozens of mailmerge-generated application letters per week) because the chap running it was a total idiot ("put everything on your CV in excruciating detail" - eh, no, 2 sides of A4 absolute maximum)

Back