are there DSLRs which take pics with rear screen view?

Edit My Images
No
i.e. not with the eye piece thing

like the compact camera's?

The new Sony A350,just got myself one,really nice camera for the price

Some of the latest Canon dSLRs have something called 'LiveView' which gives you the image on the rear screen rather than looking through the viewfinder

Its a feature of the ESO 450d for sure

thanks.
why didn't they introduce this alot earlier?

what's the price range from on canon and nikon (if they do one)

Olympus were first to do this I think,
Nikon do as well for the D300 and D3.
I don't use it, but I can see its uses.

thanks.
why didn't they introduce this alot earlier?

because it's very difficult to do with the mirror inbettween the sensor and the lens. Even now most implementations have 'interesting' focussing arrangements and aren't necessarily as easy to use and fully functioning through the view finder.

^^ I agree, if you still favour the screen you may aswell still favour a bridge or p and s camera. imho of course ;)

Just to add I can see it being useful for low down macro shots etc, but not for general use

The 40d has got liveview, but the lens cant auto focus, i dont think, while using it

one situation where its brilliant is during weddings, i used the screen on my 40D and then focused manually. The shutter is so quiet then its fantastic

40D cannot autofocus with Live view though you can manually focus and it will let you know whether it is in focus and you can also use the magnifier to check the focus. I normally use the viewfinder but sometimes I use the live view for tripod work as it can be easier to set up the shot. It can also be handy in reducing mirror shake as the mirror is already up. If you haven't got Live view you won't miss it but it can be handy. Wouldn't choose a camera on whether it has it or not though and using the viewfinder is easier in 90% of situations due to the reflection on the screen. Loads of compacts now don't even have a viewfinder and I find it very difficult to actually take any pics due to the reflections on the screen.

Olympus E410 is the cheapest DSLR with live-view soon to be repaced by E420, Sony A300, Canon 450D, Pentax K20D, Nikon D300.

The 40D will autofocus with Live View but the screen goes blank whilst the mirror drops back down and returns again once you release the af button.

I'd go with the E-420. Olympus imo are the king at live view at the moment and you cant go wrong with the Olympus brand anyhow.

Though, as pointed out, you are probably best looking at a bridge camera or a point nd shoot. dSLRs are best used through a viewfinder. Its hard to picture a 600mm lens being used with live view.

Suppose the new age of photographers is upon us with the all digital age.

Another vote for Olympus if you want live view. Their DSLR's are also very compact and the lenses superb.

Personally I shoot almost entirely on manual so I really value the information I get in my viewfinder. Not too sure how I would take to seeing that on the rear screen.

Change?................................I'm off to hide under the duvet! :)

I had to take a photo on a compact P&S camera a few months ago, using the rear screen to view, and it felt incredibly wierd after nearly 18 months using the view finder on my 400D

Even with LiveView on the camera, i still think i'd use the view finder 99% of the time.

My D300 has it. It will focus while using Live view and it has two modes. Only on tripod mode will it focus whilst the view is on the lcd. I can see its uses if its awkward to use the viewfinder, but I prefer the viewfinder all the time.
Allan

Taken with live-view on the Olympus E-3... it certainly has it's uses :)

The 40D will autofocus with Live View but the screen goes blank whilst the mirror drops back down and returns again once you release the af button.

Depends. If you use DSLRPro software, you can focus on different parts of the image without it going blank ~ I do this all the time.

The E-3 has a superb live view too, as well as it being fully articulated, and you too get a camera that's awesome in every other respect including the best kit lenses available. :)

2nd that bout the lenses not to mention how small and light they are, had the E410 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm ED lenses. Excellant kit for the price of £300 when Olym had money back offer on, still can be had for around that price now.

Musicman like that picture.

thanks for the replies. still a real newbie

still alot to explore and learn on the nikon d40.

never really thought about the mirror etc making it harder.

liveview would be nicer on some occasions for sure
- when on tripod and akward angle to look through viewfinder
- at some events like weddings etc.
- when letting someone else take a quick group potrait and not behind camera yourself ;-)
- prolonged use (as eye goes funny with one closed all the time... hee hee)

sounds like d300 nikon sounds amazing

liveview would be nicer on some occasions for sure
- when on tripod and akward angle to look through viewfinder
- at some events like weddings etc.
- when letting someone else take a quick group potrait and not behind camera yourself ;-)
- prolonged use (as eye goes funny with one closed all the time... hee hee)

Another use - I find it handy sometimes when photographing the interior of properties when I want the camera as close into a corner as I can get it. If it's so close to the walls that I can't get my head behind the camera I can still view the image on the screen... very handy that! (y)

Flashy

Just a quick aside - the Olympus E410 has been replaced by the E420, but is currently still available in alot of Currys stores (but not online) for only £280, which is a bargain imho for a great camera. Some stores also have the 50-150ish lens for about £60 too, so if you want a starter kit, you could be pretty well set for under £350.

edit: the time I've used Liveview the most was tripod based macro work, because you can zoom in (on the Olympus 7x i think), so you can make sure everything is pinsharp before you take the picture.

I loved the screen view on my Fuji, but now I wouldnt be without the viewfinder on my 400D, strange how things change :)

Back