are there places which do part ex's on dslr's? (looking to swap d40 to d80)

Edit My Images
No
as there are games, mobile phones, car shops which do part ex's, are there any for DSLRs? (maybe a long shot)

I have the following - all in good condition, with original box, manual, accesories etc.):
-Nikon Silver D40 (flash needs fixing, check my other thread @ £65+vat)
-Nikon AF-S 18-55mm DX F3.5-5.6G IF-ED Zoom Lens
-Nikon AF-S 55-200mm F4-5.6 G ED Lens

I was hoping to sell this, but only found the flash not to work. As wanted to put it towards a second hand (due to budget) Nikon D80 with the 18-135mm kit lens (any estimate on how much i should pay for one?).

What's my D40 complete kit worth if flash working and without flash working?
As have been told at £75 to use a sb-400, as alternative.

Would be great if there were part ex shop, to swap my d40 for the d80.

There are a couple that I know of .. one in Bath and the other in Swansea.

The one is Bath is right next to the Cathedral, and the one is Swansea is in the city centre. Now, I know these are both not so close to where you're at, but still not too far. Also, this tells me that for certain there would be such stores in Bristol too :shrug:.

If you do find somewhere that will take your stuff in p/x it'll likely be for about £10, being that even in full working order (plus the fact that it's silver, not black) the shop would only be able to resell for about £150-200 at most, after getting that £65+ vat repair done.....

With regards to your D40 .. why don't you have it fixed and then sell it?

Part exchange will give you a very Very VERY low price for what you'd expect ... generally, the store will offer you 50% of the price at which they'd be able to sell whatever kit you give them.

So, only think of part exchange if you're in a BIG hurry, really can't be bothered about the price difference, don't have the means to offer this in private sale,your item is in such high demand that even a store would give you top £££ for it (very unlikely, sorry).

With regards to your D40 .. why don't you have it fixed and then sell it?

It would cost nearly as much to fix it as it is worth. A brand new, black D40 with admittedly only the one lens is only just over £200, so what's the point in spending £100 to repair a secondhand less-desireable silver one?

Try LondonCameraExchange im not sure if they do but its worth a shot

thanks for the post.

interested in the one in bath, anyone know the name?

as above:
a) get it fixed plus postage etc. = £100. and as above, probably be able to pick up a d40 with a lens for say £200, it would mean if i could sell mine for £200, only return £100. so could save the £100.
b) part ex would be easier, saves me the £100 to fix and take it on the hit of low part ex given
c) i'm in no rush by all means. would like to know if there is a part ex place, and how much cost to change to a d80 with kit lens would cost me.
otherwise, fix it for the £100 and put it on ebay, hoping to fetch say £300 (with a good advert and throw in bag etc. and hope etc.) on ebay and return £200 to put towards d80 and lens.
d) save the £100 and buy a sb flash gun and use the d40 and not be able to upgrade
e) put it on ebay as it is, but can see not fetch much for it though, without flash not working, but could hedge my bets

a) get it fixed plus postage etc. = £100. and as above, probably be able to pick up a d40 with a lens for say £200, it would mean if i could sell mine for £200, only return £100. so could save the £100.

You can buy a Refurbished D40 with the 18-55 lens for just over £200 with a 12 month Nikon guarantee, or a new one for not a whole lot more. I still reckon that you'd get £150 for your camera plus the two lenses, so in theory you could swap out of a broken silver one into a warranted black one for £50, maybe even £30-40 if there are any silver refurbs kicking around ;)

thanks for the feedbacks.

going to email a few london exchange and digital camera exchange about what the cost to change to a d80 with lens etc.

but good point above, could do a swap for a d40 body and then sell it on ebay as a bundle.

An alternative is to find someone other than Nikon to do the repair for you? There may be cheaper alternatives?

I am not sure if there are others, but there may be :shrug: .. not that they would be cheaper :thinking:

Have you thought of putting it on ebay? You'll probably get a better return on there.

For some funny reason damaged repairable stuff sells for nearly the same price as mit stuff on ebay ....worth a try

thanks guys

i've fired a few emails to wait and see if i get any replies on repairs and part ex's.

i have nikon d80 in my mind for an upgrade and this will be it for a long time, until i get any better or not. or will a d60 too?

also if it was d80, i see they do a lens kit 18-135 or 18-70, apart from range is there much in it?

as might have to end up getting body and lens seperate

I thought the D60 had the same limitation as the D40 in that it will only auto focus with the AF-S lens range. I think that the D80 has a drive motor and will autofocus pretty much all the lenses. But I'm an olympus user.

yeah think you are right.
with this hassle with nikon, and reading on canon 450d, this looks good too me as an alternative to d80.

i've had really bad offers for these trade places.
think i will go ebay route , sold as with faulty flash or try and pick up a flashgun for it

interested in the one in bath, anyone know the name?

Its the LCE in Bath by the cathedral. Be interested to know what you get for yours in relation to selling on price. Have been thinking of doing the same but not sure if its worth it.

can't remember at top of my head, but lens quotes were like £20-30 or something silly

Back