Are there tunnels below blackpool

elderly relative lives in morecambe and worked in the tunnels under Blackpool about 60 years ago, he says they are part of an early flood defence scheme, he says they were built in response to Blackpool councils request to the goverment at the turn of the century to help combat potential coastal flooding, also says they are linked to underground subway crossings and as flood water from the sea pours down into the subways then the immense water pressure will break open weakly built wall sections to expose these tunnels which will then take the flood water away very quickly through a series of tunnels and then inland into a natural geological series of underground caves

Cavers and potholers inland have on occasion reported salt water ingress into the cave systems??????

Sounds like a good way of getting drowned if you ask me

everyone is talking about the tunnels. iv known about there existence for some time now and must admit im very interested in them. i want to set up a team of us to set about finding them and wonder if any of you want to join me on this quest. should you wish to, then email me. my email is johnpauldepp@yahoo.co.uk
come on people lets crack this secret for real

Hi

I am from Blackpool and yes there are tunnels all over the place. As a kid mates and I went into some of them

1. There was an entrance to the railway tunnel near the old central station... It was on Chapel Street and the entrance was set back on the left facing the bridge on the Prom side. Went in there but is was dark and wet so only went about 20 meters.
2. Talbot Road toilets running to wards the tower this had a green metal door that led to a room that led to a tunnel we sneaked in but the attendant caught us
3. Same type of green door at Bathesda square toilets with a very large room behind it.
4. The tunnel between tower and winter gardens does exist and I was in it in the 1970's it was used to move scenery and animals between the two placed in the Tower Company days. Not sure if that was why it was built?
5. Underground car park on the prom near Cleveleys used to have a tunnel running towards Blackpool but that was flooded most of the time
6. There was a tunnel that ran from the tram sheds in Red Bank Road. It ran for about 30 yards then stopped. We used to play in it and the sheds after it closed. Its Sainsbury's now

Years ago I worked at Bonds and Stock office and a old guy there (security guard) used to tell us about Blackpool in the war and sin that went on. He once told us of a complex under the airport and another close by under the old aircraft factory (think thats an industrial estate now (was Hawker). And there was some underground stuff were the Zoo is.. That was a fighter station in the war.

you shouldt have posted that you'll probably go missing now ;)

Last edited:
Still, at least it's 2015.
Thread revival is almost bang on schedule! :LOL:

Throwing another spanner in the works ,there's a whole load under the sea front in Rhyl ,I believe at one time they were flooded and you used to be able to go on boat rides down there ,the entrance is somewhere under the queens indoor market .good for trogs and frogs

There's bunch under London too!
Trains run through 'em and everything! :LOL:

What happened in 2014? Did nobody care about the tunnels or is this thread like Glastonbury and needs to take a year off every now and then?

There's bunch under London too!
Trains run through 'em and everything! :LOL:
There are lots more than just those ones. I have been through a fair few that connects certain buildings. They are not open to the public though. Some amazing rooms and chambers down there. It would be excellent if it was opened up.

There are lots more than just those ones. I have been through a fair few that connects certain buildings. They are not open to the public though. Some amazing rooms and chambers down there. It would be excellent if it was opened up.

Like the tours they do in Paris.

Like the tours they do in Paris.
Yes and in Edinburgh and other places. Problem is that many are actually still being used. Really not suitable to have the general public come in.

i would like to find the tunnel where they have the steam trains stored in case of oil or electric shortages ,loads vanished after the change to diesel power and never ended up in any scrapyards .there there a mate of mine that worked for a gov.org confirmed it years ago but couldn't say any more than yes its fact .buried and sealed up behind them

More spanners......
There are not tunnels but whole shops under the streets in Southport. Our enlightened council decided to raise the road level and totally covered them over.
The council now deny their existence, but they are somewhat to the left of Corbyn and believe we don't need to know about these things.

i would like to find the tunnel where they have the steam trains stored in case of oil or electric shortages ,loads vanished after the change to diesel power and never ended up in any scrapyards .there there a mate of mine that worked for a gov.org confirmed it years ago but couldn't say any more than yes its fact .buried and sealed up behind them

Ooooh a juicy conspiracy!

Ohhh noooo (though he was lovely...in person too).
I mean Leroy Jethro Gibbs :)
Ah, can't say I remember him. Guess that show where I was looking :) But yes as a self confident person, after having to have to look him up, I can see what you mean :)

Box Tunnel is the long running rumour. But I don't believe it personally.

Box Tunnel is the long running rumour. But I don't believe it personally.
i can remember maggie thatchers ban on cruise missiles in the u.k to ,a fair while after that a friend was unloading a fresh consigment arriving from the states ,never ever believe what a government/or the press tells you.
mustard gas was banned in 1925 after the first world war ,it was still being produced in secret up in the hills of north wales till 1965 thats a fact not a conspiracy theory ,in fact we made so much of it that they managed to lose 300,000 tons yep thats correct three hundred thousand tons of mustard gas ordinance on the site up till it closed ,know one knows where it is due to the fact the site was so secret that no records were kept at all ,you can still see formulas for mustard gas and atomic weapons scrawled on the walls in pencil in the still standing buildings

Last edited:
mustard gas was banned in 1925 after the first world war ,it was still being produced in secret up in the hills of north wales till 1965 thats a fact not a conspiracy theory ,in fact we made so much of it that they managed to lose 300,000 tons yep thats correct three hundred thousand tons of mustard gas ordinance on the site up till it closed ,know one knows where it is due to the fact the site was so secret that no records were kept at all ,you can still see formulas for mustard gas and atomic weapons scrawled on the walls in pencil in the still standing buildings

Can you still get in there? I heard it had been knocked down. A few years ago it was high on my "to do" list, but it dropped off when rumours of demolition surfaced.

Back