Are you a member of a local camera club?

Are you a member of a camera club

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • I was but not anymore

Votes: 13 14.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hardly my idea of urbex, all very staged and sounds extremely boring, but whatever floats your members boats.
Ok, substitute digital projector show for slide show, its what the person I responded to didn't want.
And you are rude. You have no idea what the Urbex I am attending is like as I do not even know myself. Why not explain you idea of Urbex and when I have attended mine, I can compare.

Dave

And you are rude. You have no idea what the Urbex I am attending is like as I do not even know myself. Why not explain you idea of Urbex and when I have attended mine, I can compare.

Dave
So all that what even is a slideshow business was polite, I dont think so.
If you are anything to go by your club must be a fun night out.
No interest in how your urbex modelling night goes, save it for a presentation.

FFS!
Stop squabbling!

So all that what even is a slideshow business was polite, I dont think so.
If you are anything to go by your club must be a fun night out.
No interest in how your urbex modelling night goes, save it for a presentation.
Whats worse than a slideshow... someone doing a presentation on their holiday snaps :ROFLMAO:

I joined a club around the same time this thread was created, I joined for social reasons and I'm still there. The talks / presentations can be a snooze fest and it is competition overload... but its geting me out the house one evening a week!

What
Whats worse than a slideshow... someone doing a presentation on their holiday snaps :ROFLMAO:

I joined a club around the same time this thread was created, I joined for social reasons and I'm still there. The talks / presentations can be a snooze fest and it is competition overload... but its geting me out the house one evening a week!
I did try, in fact two spells with a space of three years between visits.
Just didn't get anything from it and expect that feeling was reciprocated.
I'm with the poster above who wants to get out and about using his camera
One presentation was interesting, but others not so much and some were dire

My daughter was in a photo group where she lived and that was much more casual.
Met in the bar of the local hotel and went out a lot doing all sorts of photography.
Varied selection of attendees, one was the former editor of a well known photo magazine.
No competitions or sit down presentations, was about to go myself then along came Covid.

My daughter was in a photo group where she lived and that was much more casual.
Met in the bar of the local hotel and went out a lot doing all sorts of photography.
Varied selection of attendees, one was the former editor of a well known photo magazine.
No competitions or sit down presentations, was about to go myself then along came Covid.
How does something like that get off the ground? Was there a core that all knew each other beforehand?

I'm be interested in organising something locally and being into street photography it lends itself to organising photo walk type events, but would want to reach a different demographic

How does something like that get off the ground? Was there a core that all knew each other beforehand?

I'm be interested in organising something locally and being into street photography it lends itself to organising photo walk type events, but would want to reach a different demographic
I'm not that sure, it was a new town type development and many of the residents were reasonably young. It was very connected from a social media aspect with community groups primarily formed online (i believe)
I have no idea about facebook or any of the other platforms, but presumably that would be a start.
As previously mentioned I have arranged a wander or two in London and one in Cambridge. They were sorted out on here via the meeting up thread, might be a starting point for you too.

You could try Meetup, especially if you're in or near a city:

You could always try looking at the meeting place forum, to see if there is anything of interest.
And or start your own thread for your area in there.

I’ve been taking pictures for 40+ years, only ever as an amateur, over years I have joined two camera clubs, one when in my late teens early 20’s was full of old guys all ‘officals’ of the club and who talked about the gear they owned but never entered the competitions or showed images, were totally dismissive of anyone who didn’t use what they considered ‘proper kit’. I stayed for a few months before getting bored of their incessant droning. My second camera club was when I was working in London and a guy I worked with dragged me along, the club was brilliant, total opposite of what I had endured before. A good mix of competitions and talks, I even managed to win a competition, sadly work got in the way and as a result my attendance at the meetings dwindled, in the end I just stopped going, shame as it was a good club.

Never had the inclination to join another club, maybe I should have a look and see if there are any clubs in the far south west of England.

Back