Are you a member of a local camera club?

Are you a member of a camera club

• Yes

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • I was but not anymore

Votes: 13 14.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Interesting question for me at the moment. I was a member of a really nice club until I moved house. I am considering joining another one again.

I loved the competitions. Not because I felt the need for validation or was desperately competitive but the pleasure of discussing a picture, an idea realised successfully or otherwise, and hearing different views on what works and what doesn't is very much part of any growth.

I'm not afraid of the opinions of others. You don't need to agree with everyone else, judges or not, and if your the sort who has a desperate need to be agreed with all the time, it's a good thing you don't join clubs because you'd probably just spoil them for the others.

Usually sitting alone kills off any positive development and fosters egotistical introspection. The result is pretty tedious stuff we see around us all the time. No creative person has ever produced anything worthwhle in isolation.

But apart from all that, for me, clubs are fun.

Last edited:
Usually sitting alone kills off any positive development and fosters egotistical introspection. The result is pretty tedious stuff we see around us all the time. No creative person has ever produced anything in isolation.

I was fully with you up to this point (especially the bit I emboldened), as I think this bit is staggeringly wrong

Dave

Fair enough but to me it's blindingly obviously true. Can you give an example of someone who has?

Fair enough but to me it's blindingly obviously true. Can you give an example of someone who has?

Only people I know personally - they are not well known generally, but two of them have Fellowships with various societies too. They always work alone and just share images from personal projects from time to time

As ever though, I'm happy to disagree and just leave it at that :)

Dave

Only people I know personally - they are not well known generally, but two of them have Fellowships with various societies too. They always work alone and just share images from personal projects from time to time

As ever though, I'm happy to disagree and just leave it at that :)

Dave

Hi Dave,

I hope I wasn't coming across as trying to provoke an argument. It's an interesting question and discussion of it seems to me to be in the spirit of the idea of why clubs are good for the interchange of ideas. My retort to you was a bit mischievous ( or perhaps I was being a smart ar4se :) )because I was meaning that even if there was some theoretically possible creation that someone came up with, no-one would ever know of it if they remained totally isolated.

I guess my original point was that we all have to learn from someone. Even basics like language, education, basic communication, and if you take photography, we aren't born intuiting how to calculate exposure, dof, etc use photoshop, develop film etc etc so we need to interract. If we don't we'd get nowhere. Some people use the internet some magazines and books but none is isolated.

Artists must feed off each other, and their art grows from past ideas. Musicians do it all the time. They learn, they observe, they give energy to one another and they adapt techniques to help them express their inner vision. I would argue that the most innovative musician or artist in the world relied on others work to realise his goals.

But of course I realise not everyone will agree. We should form a club to discuss ;)

Many years ago I was and by varying degrees found it a stimulating environment......but it depends on the club. That particular one had a few members who already were or later became well regarded and renowned but all of those members were down to earth and freely gave their support to the less experienced. As for the competitions they had a beginners one and an open one.

At that club there was one particular member I now recall who was a master at Cibachrome printing.....stunning large prints he brought in an showed us.

Latterly, I joined a subject specific club whose members have a common interest in the Natural World and so far I have been happy with that decision.

Would I join another general club, very unlikely as it stands now.

PS the well renowned & highly regarded, members of that local club that I speak of, Photographers I mention were involved in the founding of Arena Photographers and having looked at their current membership I note two of them are still 'there' and the group is still going something like 30+ years later.

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I hope I wasn't coming across as trying to provoke an argument. It's an interesting question and discussion of it seems to me to be in the spirit of the idea of why clubs are good for the interchange of ideas. My retort to you was a bit mischievous ( or perhaps I was being a smart ar4se :) )because I was meaning that even if there was some theoretically possible creation that someone came up with, no-one would ever know of it if they remained totally isolated.

I guess my original point was that we all have to learn from someone. Even basics like language, education, basic communication, and if you take photography, we aren't born intuiting how to calculate exposure, dof, etc use photoshop, develop film etc etc so we need to interract. If we don't we'd get nowhere. Some people use the internet some magazines and books but none is isolated.

Artists must feed off each other, and their art grows from past ideas. Musicians do it all the time. They learn, they observe, they give energy to one another and they adapt techniques to help them express their inner vision. I would argue that the most innovative musician or artist in the world relied on others work to realise his goals.

But of course I realise not everyone will agree. We should form a club to discuss ;)

Ok I get you know and no I didn't think you were being an arse lol

Dave

Our local camera club mainly organizes photography competitions and I'm not into that, so no. If I want to show off some of my good works, I'll make a smartshow 3d video for those who may be interested (my family mostly :D). I follow their Facebook group though, they do good job making content for it.

Last edited:

Wasn't Mozart Deaf for the last 10 years of his life? Beethoven was deaf for his last 13 years.
Jackson Pollock was a drunk, not sure he interacted much with other artist.
and I am not sure Van Gogh was much as a social guy, he was deaf in 1 ear and was considered a madman, a failure and committed suicide. It wasn't after he died until his work was appreciated.

I am sure between the 3 of them must have produce 1 thing in isolation somewhere along the deafness, the drunkeness and the madness.

I am not saying interaction is bad, but to say you MUST have interaction as a sweeping statement is wrong. I would say for most people it's helpful, for some is unnecessary and in some cases, unwelcomed by others.

Last edited:
Never had the inclination to join a club...was invited to join a couple when living in France but was even less inclined to participate in meetings in French. :)

My motivation at the moment (since last May) is to take enough photos throughout the year to have a wide choice of images for a project I'm working on. It may or may not come to fruition but it forces me keep going out, whatever the weather, to take the shots! :)

When I lived in Holland (in The Hague) I was a member of the International Photography Club of The Hague - IMAGES... International but mostly British dominated, and internal competitions.. Over time, we moved location, and the international diaspora changed and the programme changed - our Dutch contingent got us in touch with a lot of photographers and as such the programme became more varied.... 12 years since I left so I don't know the status.

RTPS, my current club, is not gear oriented. In fact we have little patience for people who do the hard sell (unless its Fotospeed/Kentmere paper on discount).

For those with feet on both sides of the fence, you do have the option of checking out programmes on the internet (not an option when I started out at Huntingdon or Ripon City (how did we manage then?) - We are getting lots of invitations from other camera clubs to join their Zoom meetings. In my view if we get at least 2 good meetings a month for my subs then I am happy.

Belonged to two clubs over the years but both seemed really focused on competitions a worthless pursuit in my mind so I left the last one a few years ago after a few years of membership. The members were friendly enough but the best time of the year was our summer break when we just met socially once a week in a local pub. Once the 'season' started again it was back to comps when nobody actually spoke to each other. But of course it suited the members so I'm the odd one out not them.

More emphasis should be put on members' needs and not on the committee's wants.

This is pretty much the changes that need to be made in clubs ( not just photographic) , for me personally , to show interest in joining one.

There always ends up being a leader ( shepherd) which everyone else ( sheep) follow.
This or some other person is placed on a ´pedestal’ and in some ways looked upon as iconic .
Their ideas, their methods and their views then become the basis for all to follow.

Some forums follow a similar trait, TP much less so than others that I’ve spent time on, hence why I’m still here ;)

I belong a fairly small club in East Yorkshire. We have a weekly meeting via Zoom at the moment and can't wait to get back to the pub where we normally meet.
Our programme is much the same as all the other clubs - visiting speakers, internal and external competitions, exchange visits with other clubs and also club members showing their own work. We also have an annual programme of Summer Outings and an Annual Trip - last year we just managed the Lakes before shutdown and hopefully this year Anglesey, Our membership stays pretty static but interestingly we have started to get interest from a few younger photographers who want to improve their photography. We are a friendly bunch and not at all aloof or cliqueish as some clubs are reported to be.

I belong a fairly small club in East Yorkshire. We have a weekly meeting via Zoom at the moment and can't wait to get back to the pub where we normally meet.
Our programme is much the same as all the other clubs - visiting speakers, internal and external competitions, exchange visits with other clubs and also club members showing their own work. We also have an annual programme of Summer Outings and an Annual Trip - last year we just managed the Lakes before shutdown and hopefully this year Anglesey, Our membership stays pretty static but interestingly we have started to get interest from a few younger photographers who want to improve their photography. We are a friendly bunch and not at all aloof or cliqueish as some clubs are reported to be.
Sounds fine to me. In a large club it is almost impossible not to appear cliquish to some. The only way we could prevent this is to stop our members being friendly and talking to each other in small groups. It seems to come down to individual personalities. I recall once a potential new member arrived and I was concerned to ensure that he was not ignored and then saw that he was surrounded by other members chatting to him. He is of Chinese background but has a very pleasant an infectious personality and can fit in anywhere. As Membership Secretary I always follow up when members do not rejoin and on one occasion a couple had felt that they were ignored. I then realised, though we have several committee members assigned to go around and talk to new members, they tend to look for someone on their own so failed to notice this couple who sat together and never attempted to talk to anyone else.

Addressing one of the comments above surely a club is run for its members who annually elect a committee. There is a lot of work involved in running a club (certainly a large club) and as Treasurer my duties take an average of 15 hours a week. Most members are happy for someone else to do the work but, if not, they can readily volunteer to join the Committee. Interestingly, we have had several relatively new members join the Committee so opportunities for new ideas.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Well, that's one way of looking at it. But it's not the only way.

Wasn't Mozart Deaf for the last 10 years of his life? Beethoven was deaf for his last 13 years.
and I am not sure Van Gogh was much as a social guy, he was deaf in 1 ear and was considered a madman, a failure and committed suicide. It wasn't after he died until his work was appreciated.

I am sure between the 3 of them must have produce 1 thing in isolation somewhere along the deafness, the drunkeness and the madness.

I am not saying interaction is bad, but to say you MUST have interaction as a sweeping statement is wrong. I would say for most people it's helpful, for some is unnecessary and in some cases, unwelcomed by others.
Well, that's one way of looking at it. But it's not the only way.

Of course people can beleive what they wish. It's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

My point is that artists ( same as any other human ) need to learn from those around them and from who preceded them.

This is the only way you can ever become proficient at any art form. Once you have some basics learned then of course you can decide to rely on your own resources and stagnate in your own mind or you can continue to learn. If you decide to isolate then you are relying totally on the adequacy of what you’ve learned in the past to propel you and how much you’ve picked up will largely decide how far ahead from mediocrity you might be able to go.

I accept that, in this age with it’s emphasis on autodidacticism, and self-absorption some might find this uncomfortable to embrace and tend to romanticise the belief of an artist as an individual divorced from society. I find this preposterous.

I know a bit more about music than painting so to take the examples you give, I’d point out that even if you look at the exceptional talents of such men of genius this applies.

There was nothing wrong with Mozart’s hearing. He studied with Haydn and was exposed and worked with musical production via his father and the various courts of Europe during his lifetime. He was a gregarious and sociable man until his death.

Even though Beethoven was unfortunately deaf in later life, and this enforced some degree of social isolation, he wasn’t happy about it and didn’t see it as something to be desired. He railed against it and continued to try and conduct and perform despite it. In any case he had learned about music before that, and he didn’t learn to write music and hone his talents on his own.
His resume is that he was a singer in a choir in his youth, which is pretty colloborative, and he then studied formally under the court composer for the Emperor, Joseph II brother IIRC. He worked in the Bonn Opera, interacted with court musicians and played in the orchestra. During his entire lifetime he used the learning he’d acquired from other musicians who’d gone before him. Some of his influences included Mozart whom he admired greatly, Bach, Germanic folk music, and a style of the time, of using piano ( quiet ) and forte ( loud ) contrasts in music - it’s name currently escapes me but it was pretty popular at the time. Through all this time he played for patrons, and collaborated with other musicians.

I could go on, but you get the point.

I don’t know very much about painting but Van Gogh was heavily influenced by the impressionists whom he learned from and then reacted against. He met and interacted fully with artists in Paris who were part of the avant grade movement where he took many ideas and had a long friendship and artistic dialogue with Gauguin. He would never have produced anything if he hadn’t been exposed to other artists’ work and ideas.

Drunkenness and madness are handicaps but the people you mention overcame these and still were involved in dialogue with others. Just because you write something alone in your cellar at 2 am, drunk and mad, doesn’t mean you could have done it without having been inspired and educated through contact with others.

The point is we all need the influences of others and the dialogue of ideas to grow. None of them was born knowing how to make music or paint or relied on their own ideas. They all depended on ideas of others.

Lone workers are an impossibility and the extent to which they allow themselves to be exposed to influences other than their own egos largely determines the level to which they are able to rise above mediocrity. This idea of the “lone genius” fits pretty well with the tabloid romance of art but in reality it doesn’t fly at all.

Now I'm off to record some music I invented all by myself in my own world and without any help from anyone ;) :LOL:

Last edited:
I am a member of the local camera club (Falkirk), well officially I'm the syllabus secretary but see myself as a member first. I'm in my third year now (I think!!), I joined after realising photography was one aspect I always enjoyed whilst on holiday. I was a bit surprised at how competition focused the club agenda was and continues to be, that is something you either like or not. It's probably more the informal contact with other members that had progressed my photography further. Can't guarantee my skills have greatly improved but I now know what a poor image is, which is an important part of submitting suitable images to competitions.
Just before the start of lockdown our club, probably led by me, changed to Zoom meetings and we actually continued our sessions right through the summer period when the season is normally over. The TP website also plays a part in the club, a number of the members including myself take part in the 52 week challenge, we have "borrowed" the themes with the same set weekly for the members, we have a theme discussion after our main meeting each week which being honest is one activity that has improved the overall members skill level.

Last edited:
Of course people can beleive what they wish. It's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

My point is that artists ( same as any other human ) need to learn from those around them and from who preceded them.

This is the only way you can ever become proficient at any art form. Once you have some basics learned then of course you can decide to rely on your own resources and stagnate in your own mind or you can continue to learn. If you decide to isolate then you are relying totally on the adequacy of what you’ve learned in the past to propel you and how much you’ve picked up will largely decide how far ahead from mediocrity you might be able to go.

I accept that, in this age with it’s emphasis on autodidacticism, and self-absorption some might find this uncomfortable to embrace and tend to romanticise the belief of an artist as an individual divorced from society. I find this preposterous.

I know a bit more about music than painting so to take the examples you give, I’d point out that even if you look at the exceptional talents of such men of genius this applies.

There was nothing wrong with Mozart’s hearing. He studied with Haydn and was exposed and worked with musical production via his father and the various courts of Europe during his lifetime. He was a gregarious and sociable man until his death.

Even though Beethoven was unfortunately deaf in later life, and this enforced some degree of social isolation, he wasn’t happy about it and didn’t see it as something to be desired. He railed against it and continued to try and conduct and perform despite it. In any case he had learned about music before that, and he didn’t learn to write music and hone his talents on his own.
His resume is that he was a singer in a choir in his youth, which is pretty colloborative, and he then studied formally under the court composer for the Emperor, Joseph II brother IIRC. He worked in the Bonn Opera, interacted with court musicians and played in the orchestra. During his entire lifetime he used the learning he’d acquired from other musicians who’d gone before him. Some of his influences included Mozart whom he admired greatly, Bach, Germanic folk music, and a style of the time, of using piano ( quiet ) and forte ( loud ) contrasts in music - it’s name currently escapes me but it was pretty popular at the time. Through all this time he played for patrons, and collaborated with other musicians.

I could go on, but you get the point.

I don’t know very much about painting but Van Gogh was heavily influenced by the impressionists whom he learned from and then reacted against. He met and interacted fully with artists in Paris who were part of the avant grade movement where he took many ideas and had a long friendship and artistic dialogue with Gauguin. He would never have produced anything if he hadn’t been exposed to other artists’ work and ideas.

Drunkenness and madness are handicaps but the people you mention overcame these and still were involved in dialogue with others. Just because you write something alone in your cellar at 2 am, drunk and mad, doesn’t mean you could have done it without having been inspired and educated through contact with others.

The point is we all need the influences of others and the dialogue of ideas to grow. None of them was born knowing how to make music or paint or relied on their own ideas. They all depended on ideas of others.

Lone workers are an impossibility and the extent to which they allow themselves to be exposed to influences other than their own egos largely determines the level to which they are able to rise above mediocrity. This idea of the “lone genius” fits pretty well with the tabloid romance of art but in reality it doesn’t fly at all.

Now I'm off to record some music I invented all by myself in my own world and without any help from anyone ;) :LOL:

No disrespect but I only quickly glanced at your wall of text. My point is, and I am not sure you have read it probably, I have said it benefits most people but to say 100% of humans is just plain wrong. You should know like anything, there will be 1 exception somewhere, and before you go on about "show me an example". Like I said, I am sure between them, like 4 life time of work, somewhere between the silence, the drunken state and the madness, they would have created 1 piece of art without any input from others.

I am more in disagreement of your certainty that 100% of 100% of humans of 100% of time needed input from others. I mean that level of certainty is almost as arrogant as someone who won't go to clubs to accept the input from others. lol, isn't that the irony.

No, years ago my father worked for Philips in Cambridge when they decided to form a club. It was at the time Philips brought out the PCS system enlarger (anyone remember that?) so the club got given one. Dad joined and I was allowed to join as an associate. All was ok, until they had a speaker who I knew well, at the time I was working for a photographic wholesaler so I knew pretty much every working pro in the area. This seemed to upset several members when he spent some time chatting to me prior to his talk.
Things got worse shortly afterwards when the club decided to hold its first exhibition, I submitted several 12x16 B&W prints I’d printed at home (I never did discover if anyone actually was allowed to use the PCS) only to have them all rejected. When I saw the exhibition prints I was surprised to discover photos that literally looked like holiday snaps included. It became apparent that the higher you were within the hierarchy of Philips staff the more photos you got in the exhibition. My father very bravely expressed this view to the officers of the club and they very grudgingly allowed one photo to go in.
While I know it’s probably not typical of many clubs it, along with tales I heard of a local club put me off them for life....

No, not really but I have been out and about with other photography friends, mainly for birds and wildlife in general.
I have lectured photography in the past in my wife's school, which I enjoyed.

My local CC is pretty much the same as most others, it seems. Usual comps etc. But has some nice old folk (at 61 i`m one of the youngest ;)) We do/did go on trips a couple of times a year, and days out. But since lockdown, with zoom the talks have got better as there is no real restriction to local people, whicch imo is a good thing. Sometimes it can be a pain, but thats the same with anything, Our club is based at a United Srevices Club, so we have a pool table and bar too (y) So a social thing, for a prety anti social hobby.

Last edited:
No disrespect but I only quickly glanced at your wall of text. My point is, and I am not sure you have read it probably, I have said it benefits most people but to say 100% of humans is just plain wrong. You should know like anything, there will be 1 exception somewhere, and before you go on about "show me an example". Like I said, I am sure between them, like 4 life time of work, somewhere between the silence, the drunken state and the madness, they would have created 1 piece of art without any input from others.

I am more in disagreement of your certainty that 100% of 100% of humans of 100% of time needed input from others. I mean that level of certainty is almost as arrogant as someone who won't go to clubs to accept the input from others. lol, isn't that the irony.

Sorry about the "wall" and that I couldn't condense it into a quick internet - friendly couple of buzzwords for you. Clearly i was wasting my time by treating your argument seriously enough to respond to it in a friendly and full way, but this quote from what I wrote might help. I'm guessing you didn't read it : " Just because you write something alone in your cellar at 2 am, drunk and mad, doesn’t mean you could have done it without having been inspired and educated through contact with others" In other words your life experience and learning which necessarily involves contact with others and feeding from their ideas goes into whatever you produce, even if you produce it when you are alone.

Also interaction includes reacting against the views of others, so it isn't in any way ironic to disagree or even to voice certainty about something. I'm pretty certain the earth is round but we can talk if you like. While I'm "going on" again, I will point out that I never ever suggested it was arrogant not to go go clubs and I suspect you've read into what I said from your own perception but hey ho .....

No, I won't "go on" again by actually asking you to back up what you wrote with an example. I suspect you have already given your best examples anyway, however, before I upset you any more and make you call me "arrogant" again because I question your own certainty (which, mysteriously you don't regard as arrogant - that's really what irony is ) I will retire from conversing with you about it and I will wish you well.

Look I will even give you a smiley to show no hard feelings :)

I'd want to do meet-ups like we've done a couple of times wandering round Oxford or London, take some pictures, enjoy company, maybe see some places I'm not familiar with, then share the work back later. Basically acting like a group of mates, rather than anything else.
I agree, while I’d hate going five miles across the countryside together, a small group in a city you don’t know with someone who can show you sights you’d otherwise possibly miss is attractive. There is also the benefit of safety in numbers if you’re shooting later in the evening in an inner city area.

I agree, while I’d hate going five miles across the countryside together, a small group in a city you don’t know with someone who can show you sights you’d otherwise possibly miss is attractive. There is also the benefit of safety in numbers if you’re shooting later in the evening in an inner city area.
I quite like doing 5 miles across the countryside too, as much as I enjoy the city. There are almost always new things to see. [emoji846]

Re isolation Vs external input, humans are iterative. If that were not the case then one would see works of art that had no connection with previous works suddenly appearing. We build on what we learn from others, whether language, fiction, art, science, whatever. We may take their ideas to places they never imagined, but without the previous ideas we would have nothing to build on.

We run an Annual Exhibition but, while it is a competition, all of the entries are displayed so no question of bias to a few members. Occasionally, in the past we have had too many entries though it is limited to ten prints per person but the numbers are also reduced in an equable way.

On one occasion, a group of us visited Oxford for the day and our organiser contacted the Oxford camera Club who provided a guide. Our friendly guide took us to some well known places but also into several of the Colleges which were not open to the public at the time using personal contacts. We were able to capture some excellent images that would otherwise not have been possible. When visiting London, my son (who lives in London) takes me to interesting locations which I would not readily find. He knows I cannot cover long distances with my heavy equipment so we move rapidly around using Uber, buses and the underground.

Dave

Pollock was married to Lee Krasner, an artist, and Van Gogh lived and worked briefly with Paul Gauguin.

Re isolation Vs external input, humans are iterative. If that were not the case then one would see works of art that had no connection with previous works suddenly appearing. We build on what we learn from others, whether language, fiction, art, science, whatever. We may take their ideas to places they never imagined, but without the previous ideas we would have nothing to build on.

Amen to that. Good point about the non-appearance of unconnected art

Last edited:
Of course people can believe what they wish. It's an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Now that really was uncalled for. I would hope that cribbing your thoughts and ideas from others might have improved your manners. ;) As it happens I don't entirely disagree with you. However, you do underestimate the potential of what an individual can create, and to suggest they are somehow mediocre as a result is bordering on offensive.

Last edited:
Now that really was uncalled for. I would hope that cribbing your thoughts and ideas from others might have improved your manners. ;) As it happens I don't entirely disagree with you. However, you do underestimate the potential of what an individual can create, and to suggest they are somehow mediocre as a result is bordering on offensive.

The irony huh?

No, years ago my father worked for Philips in Cambridge when they decided to form a club. It was at the time Philips brought out the PCS system enlarger (anyone remember that?) so the club got given one. Dad joined and I was allowed to join as an associate. All was ok, until they had a speaker who I knew well, at the time I was working for a photographic wholesaler so I knew pretty much every working pro in the area. This seemed to upset several members when he spent some time chatting to me prior to his talk.
Things got worse shortly afterwards when the club decided to hold its first exhibition, I submitted several 12x16 B&W prints I’d printed at home (I never did discover if anyone actually was allowed to use the PCS) only to have them all rejected. When I saw the exhibition prints I was surprised to discover photos that literally looked like holiday snaps included. It became apparent that the higher you were within the hierarchy of Philips staff the more photos you got in the exhibition. My father very bravely expressed this view to the officers of the club and they very grudgingly allowed one photo to go in.
While I know it’s probably not typical of many clubs it, along with tales I heard of a local club put me off them for life....

I love to learn from others and I love constructive criticism from other people but I would find more value if I know they come from a place of experience or skill or professional background. It's like if there is a group of wedding and portrait photographer club, sign me up.

A group of nature, landscapes photographers or photos of their grandkids?

No thank you, I don't even take these genre of photos, why would I join a group that does?

I enjoy a wander either on my own or as in better times with a small group.,
Had a couple of strolls around London with some others from here to the less well known and hopefully more interesting bits.
Planned another one based mainly on the canal route from Kings Cross up to Regents Park, Covid put paid to that.
Hopefully get going again when some form of normality returns, later this year perhaps.

Its nice to meet people, but not too often otherwise it gets a bit too routine and dare I say it boring.

Sorry about the "wall" and that I couldn't condense it into a quick internet - friendly couple of buzzwords for you. Clearly i was wasting my time by treating your argument seriously enough to respond to it in a friendly and full way, but this quote from what I wrote might help. I'm guessing you didn't read it : " Just because you write something alone in your cellar at 2 am, drunk and mad, doesn’t mean you could have done it without having been inspired and educated through contact with others" In other words your life experience and learning which necessarily involves contact with others and feeding from their ideas goes into whatever you produce, even if you produce it when you are alone.

Also interaction includes reacting against the views of others, so it isn't in any way ironic to disagree or even to voice certainty about something. I'm pretty certain the earth is round but we can talk if you like. While I'm "going on" again, I will point out that I never ever suggested it was arrogant not to go go clubs and I suspect you've read into what I said from your own perception but hey ho .....

No, I won't "go on" again by actually asking you to back up what you wrote with an example. I suspect you have already given your best examples anyway, however, before I upset you any more and make you call me "arrogant" again because I question your own certainty (which, mysteriously you don't regard as arrogant - that's really what irony is ) I will retire from conversing with you about it and I will wish you well.

Look I will even give you a smiley to show no hard feelings :)

This is the sentence I have a problem with.

Usually sitting alone kills off any positive development and fosters egotistical introspection. The result is pretty tedious stuff we see around us all the time. No creative person has ever produced anything worthwhle in isolation.

Yes, it is true that nothing is new these dayside everything we do now has been done and what is "new" is a twist of another idea. But I disagree that I need to go to a club for that, especially one that I am pretty certain do not part take in the genre of photography that I am interested in. Also, as a sports reference, practice is only fun when the other side is on a similar level as you are. So 1, the other person need to be playing the same sport and they are on a similar level. For me, it's seems* like a waste of time getting opinions of a portrait from a guy who spent his last 40 years shooting birds (the kind of feathers in case you think there is a joke...pulling it back in). And 2, I prefer it if they are better than me, much better than me. That's not to say an amateur's opinion is not valid, but I prefer the opinion to have the weight of experience, perhaps a story on a similar photo they'd done and even an example to show me.

What I am more interested in, and much more constructive is looking at photos from other people shooting in the genre that I am interested in, I want to learn that, I want to ask them question of how and story behind the photo. I get a MUCH bigger pool (or an ocean) online than I do in a club, I can post a photo on Facebook in. portrait group and get feedback from 100 people in an hour, everyone who is interested in portraiture. I really do feel these days I don't need to go to a club for other people's work or opinion. Plus, I also think feedback from people who shoot mostly in the same genre as more weight a they know the technique better than I do.

*yes there is a chance an outside perspective can be good, I realise that, I know you are thinking it.

There are 2 sides of this coin.

1 - Nobody is sitting alone these days with the internet
2 - In the history of humans, to say NOTHING EVER have been made in isolation, to make that statement you better have proof that everything ever have a previous influence. You made the statement, I could challenge you to back it up, but I won't. It is this disallowance to accept there is a possibility that somewhere down the line, no one ever has made something on his own is ridiculous. I am sure plenty of bedroom musicians write songs alone. Sure you can draw influences from their experience in life and other music they have listened to but the actual production of that piece of music, they wrote it and then recorded themselves with no input from people. Ergo isolation. There is a difference between influence and isolation. You can do a lot of things in isolation. I am not sure if it is a misuse of a word, "nothing exists in a vacuum", that is fine. but "No creative person has ever produced anything worthwhile in isolation." I challenge that.

Last edited:
As I said, I think it depends on the club and its members. As with any form of learning and encouragement, it depends on the creative environment - a subject matter that's inspired at least one song.

View: https://youtu.be/4cVpkzZpDBA

Last edited:
I quite like doing 5 miles across the countryside too, as much as I enjoy the city. There are almost always new things to see. [emoji846]
It’s not walking five miles across country (my dad had me walking ten miles regularly from a young age) it’s more a place to be alone and enjoying the peace and quiet (hopefully!) Cities are different altogether

This is the sentence I have a problem with.

Yes, it is true that nothing is new these dayside everything we do now has been done and what is "new" is a twist of another idea. But I disagree that I need to go to a club for that, especially one that I am pretty certain do not part take in the genre of photography that I am interested in. Also, as a sports reference, practice is only fun when the other side is on a similar level as you are. So 1, the other person need to be playing the same sport and they are on a similar level. For me, it's seems* like a waste of time getting opinions of a portrait from a guy who spent his last 40 years shooting birds (the kind of feathers in case you think there is a joke...pulling it back in). And 2, I prefer it if they are better than me, much better than me. That's not to say an amateur's opinion is not valid, but I prefer the opinion to have the weight of experience, perhaps a story on a similar photo they'd done and even an example to show me.

What I am more interested in, and much more constructive is looking at photos from other people shooting in the genre that I am interested in, I want to learn that, I want to ask them question of how and story behind the photo. I get a MUCH bigger pool (or an ocean) online than I do in a club, I can post a photo on Facebook in. portrait group and get feedback from 100 people in an hour, everyone who is interested in portraiture. I really do feel these days I don't need to go to a club for other people's work or opinion. Plus, I also think feedback from people who shoot mostly in the same genre as more weight a they know the technique better than I do.

*yes there is a chance an outside perspective can be good, I realise that, I know you are thinking it.

There are 2 sides of this coin.

1 - Nobody is sitting alone these days with the internet
2 - In the history of humans, to say NOTHING EVER have been made in isolation, to make that statement you better have proof that everything ever have a previous influence. You made the statement, I could challenge you to back it up, but I won't. It is this disallowance to accept there is a possibility that somewhere down the line, no one ever has made something on his own is ridiculous. I am sure plenty of bedroom musicians write songs alone. Sure you can draw influences from their experience in life and other music they have listened to but the actual production of that piece of music, they wrote it and then recorded themselves with no input from people. Ergo isolation. There is a difference between influence and isolation. You can do a lot of things in isolation. I am not sure if it is a misuse of a word, "nothing exists in a vacuum", that is fine. but "No creative person has ever produced anything worthwhile in isolation." I challenge that.

Maybe its a perception of life that separates our views. For me the fact that everything has been influenced by the work and experiences of others is so obviously true it's hardly worth stating. For you, that is not the case. Anyway, I'm sticking with my statement and I believe it to be absolutely true.

I understand your the idea that you can only learn something from people who are better at something than you. I'd argue that dialogue about a subject enhances experience and knowledge and exposes us to different ideas irrespective of technical expertise or execution of these ideas. You can explore the nature of your genre and that then informse your aims and by pursuing these, your technique improves. I'd further say that the person to person dialogue can never be substituted by online viewing or even. stilted messages on a forum. I'd also say people learn by giving ideas to others and by helping others realise their potential. It isn't just by taking that we learn. I mean if these people who are "better" than you, whatever that might mean to you, don't share their ideas with you for the reaosn that you are not "better" than them, then you'd be pretty much stymied.

Obviously you don't need to join a club to get any of that and I wasn't trying to argue everyone should join a club. I was just disagreeing that anything could be made in isolation. Also, I agree you would be attracted to mix with people interested in the same genre as you. You might not get much insight into photography from the Rugby Club.

Sounds fine to me. In a large club it is almost impossible not to appear cliquish to some. The only way we could prevent this is to stop our members being friendly and talking to each other in small groups. It seems to come down to individual personalities. I recall once a potential new member arrived and I was concerned to ensure that he was not ignored and then saw that he was surrounded by other members chatting to him. He is of Chinese background but has a very pleasant an infectious personality and can fit in anywhere. As Membership Secretary I always follow up when members do not rejoin and on one occasion a couple had felt that they were ignored. I then realised, though we have several committee members assigned to go around and talk to new members, they tend to look for someone on their own so failed to notice this couple who sat together and never attempted to talk to anyone else.

Addressing one of the comments above surely a club is run for its members who annually elect a committee. There is a lot of work involved in running a club (certainly a large club) and as Treasurer my duties take an average of 15 hours a week. Most members are happy for someone else to do the work but, if not, they can readily volunteer to join the Committee. Interestingly, we have had several relatively new members join the Committee so opportunities for new ideas.

Dave
Yes, people form their own attachments in clubs, whether it be by age group, genre of photography, previous friendships, whatever. We have a small committee who double up on tasks and you're right, there's a varying amount of input from people not on the committee, but, whenever there's something to be done - there's always willing helpers. One thing we haven't got is a "Meeter and greeter" and I think we'll include that when we're able to get back together again - I could murder a pint!

Yes, people form their own attachments in clubs, whether it be by age group, genre of photography, previous friendships, whatever. We have a small committee who double up on tasks and you're right, there's a varying amount of input from people not on the committee, but, whenever there's something to be done - there's always willing helpers. One thing we haven't got is a "Meeter and greeter" and I think we'll include that when we're able to get back together again - I could murder a pint!
You might also consider that we have a front desk with a couple of members to greet them but our members all wear badges with their names. We also colour code so new members for their first year or so get a green badge, visitors a blue badge and Committee Members a red badge. One particular advantage of this is that you can easily see a persons name which saves the awkwardness, if you have met them before but forgotten their name. As we have over 130 members (they do not all attend at the same time) it is easy to see how a name badge helps. In addition we have several Committee members, who have no assigned duties in the evening, to mingle and speak to new members often introducing them to another member with similar interests.

Dave

Out of curiosity is anyone a member of a club based in the Kent/South London area? I'd be interested in hearing if you are.

Yours sounds great Dave. I don't know where you are but sounds like the sort of club I'd be keen to find out more about.

Back