B&W Are you being served?

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Went for a bite to eat in a quaint little pub in Lisdonnvarna, Co. Clare, Ireland a few days ago with my girlfriend, and noticed a nice light coming in through the old net curtains on the window behind us. So I quickly grabbed this shot as we waited for our food to be served.

Any comments/criticism welcome:

Carla
by gaz_jamieson, on Flickr

Hi Simon, thanks for that.Yeah I know what you mean about too much bright emptiness above her head but I'm not sure if I'm too keen on the crop or not, it looks a little tight or uncomfortable to me? What do you think?

carlacrop
by gaz_jamieson, on Flickr

Lovely image and you've caught a beautiful expression.
Personally would crop something like this. Happy to remove if you wish.

5668-1403814890-ab034f11c688cc55d333758e9c741826.jpg

df by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

just a bit more off the top, please sir
the back light is over ex
but the remaining composition is quite delicious
cheers
geof

Last edited:
It's a lovely shot but for me the processing is way OTT.

I wish photographers would spend more time with people and less time reading tutorials on retouching. I would bet the un retouched image would get more compliments, most people who looked will close it without commenting because they don't want to offend.

Like I said though, gorgeous light and expression.

It's a lovely shot but for me the processing is way OTT.

I wish photographers would spend more time with people and less time reading tutorials on retouching. I would bet the un retouched image would get more compliments, most people who looked will close it without commenting because they don't want to offend.

Like I said though, gorgeous light and expression.

Hi Phil
In what way is the processing OTT? I ask that as a genuine question.

Hi Phil
In what way is the processing OTT? I ask that as a genuine question.
In every way.
It's difficult without sounding bad (I've upset people with this previously) the skin has no texture left and the eye sharpening is overdone.
I don't understand why it's not obvious though, we all know what people look like, why do we think photographs of them should look like mannequins.
Apologies to the OP - I'm trying to answer the question honestly.

It's not just this shot, it's a common trait. I would guess that this shot overlaid on the original with the opacity at about 20% would look great.

Phil please dont apologise or feel like you're offending me. Honest critique is exactly what I want as I am kinda learning all this photography (and especially editing) craic on my own with youtube tutorials as you have said. Honest comments like yours help me learn and hopefully improve. Anyone I know just says "woah that photo is AMAZING!" when I clearly know its not! :p

You are spot on about the editing here. I have heavily sharpened around her hair, eyes and mouth and basically inverted the process on her skin... again following a youtube tutorial.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment and i'll definitely take on board what you've said. One thing I have noticed about myself is my tendancy to over-do things in PP. I try to be aware of it but for some reason I find myself doing it over and over again.

You're 100% right, theres nothing subtle about the editing. Thanks for your comments.

Phil please dont apologise or feel like you're offending me. Honest critique is exactly what I want as I am kinda learning all this photography (and especially editing) craic on my own with youtube tutorials as you have said. Honest comments like yours help me learn and hopefully improve. Anyone I know just says "woah that photo is AMAZING!" when I clearly know its not! :p

You are spot on about the editing here. I have heavily sharpened around her hair, eyes and mouth and basically inverted the process on her skin... again following a youtube tutorial.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment and i'll definitely take on board what you've said. One thing I have noticed about myself is my tendancy to over-do things in PP. I try to be aware of it but for some reason I find myself doing it over and over again.

You're 100% right, theres nothing subtle about the editing. Thanks for your comments.
Thanks for taking my remarks in the spirit they were offered. Again, I think the lighting and expression are great.

Have a go at my suggestion to overlay the image over the original and reduce the opacity.

... most people who looked will close it without commenting because they don't want to offend.

That is exactly what I did. I took one look at it, and immediately wrote it off as yet another nice picture buggered about with for no apparent reason. All it needed was a different crop.

AFAIC the crop in post #6 is spot on. I'd just do what Phil suggested, then if there's still something bugging you about it, tone down the lighter of those two front teeth so they match and while you're at it quieten the highlights on the metalwork of the main part of her necklace. Both those tend to distract a little from her eyes.

Then if you're still not happy with it, take up oil painting :)

Great photo with some fab feedback___We all learned something here___Gaz

Last edited:
Back