Are you local?

Edit My Images
Yes
Various images from Bristol, taken over the last few days.

Advice, opinions, feedback and critique welcome as ever! Trying to capture real people with natural light, with tight crops etc. Still learning my way around CS2 and my flow is desaturate, auto levels, auto contrast, curve, burn and dodge then USM 17 ~ 150 , 2, 3 with some gaus blur added, dependant on pic. I am trying to learn how to make multiple layers of image with tweak on each layers but find it hard at the moment.

sleepingrough.jpg

nicemansmal.jpg

sellersmall.jpg

smokersmall.jpg

Ladysmall.jpg

Docksideman2small.jpg

smallman.jpg

mum.jpg

people.jpg

me21small.jpg

A great group of candids. I especially like the smotheres laugh but may have taken a bit more off on the left.

Welcome to the madhouse - I am learning al the time from this lot and from their comments on others work.

Thanks a lot. I agree with you on the tighter crop but quite like this one and her laughter is funny.

Hope to learn loads from here, DJW pictures are amazing to say the least and I wish I had his CS2 knowledge already. :)

Diego.

They are really lovely b&w's. So sharp.

They are really lovely b&w's. So sharp

Thank you Janice :)

I use the 17 -85mm IS which is great for me, almost L quality I think though a little soft at 17mm.

Diego.

Very kind comment Deigo, but I was about to say what great Mono's . Normally most of us would say don't use "Auto" anything during conversions, but I can't fault the tones on some of those.....especially the 1st one.

You might bump into SammyC round Brissle ;)

Some great shots again Diego ... all strangers again I suppose ???

Yes all strangers. I generally make pleasant conversation with people who watch me take photos and then ask to shoot, unless asleep like first pic. If people look cool I like to tell them that as gets them smiling then shot. Guy with fag in gob was on BMX and I called him over as I saw him light up! If out on a days shoot around town I always load up pocket with change as helps with buskers, tramps, big issue sellers and the like.

Thanks for the compliment.

Diego.

Have just seen these shots elsewhere ;)

Very interesting set of character studies. I like all the mono ones.

Have just seen these shots elsewhere

Very interesting set of character studies. I like all the mono ones.

Thanks for your kind words. Is it OK to cross post? I use two or three websites to discuss pictures etc.

Hope this is not against the rules, apologies if it is.

Diego.

i wish i had your courage diego, i couldn't ask a stranger if i could 'shoot' them if i wanted.
As for the shots, they are fantastic, well captured and they have a 'feel' about them. Well done

your work is inspirational....is that a self portrait?

Marianne, thank you for your comment, high praise indeed as I have looked at your website and I believe that you are very talented :)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words :)

Diego.

Very good indeed, i especially like the lady with teh hand over her mouth. Nice natural pose and i like the cropping too

The one with the lady laughing was actually taken with the 50mm 1.8 II which cost just £62.00 on ebay!

Again, thaks for the compliments.

Diego.

DJW said:
Oooh you Bath snob ;)

I can't help it if we're generally more attractive over here, can I?

I put it down to the 3.92 portions of fruit and veg we eat every day (top in the country according to a recent survey) What they don't tell you is that it's because all we can afford are beans and potatoes after the extortionate property prices!

A nice set of street shots. I particularly like #1 (the homeless(?)guy), #5 (tight crop of woman's face) and #8 (hand over mouth).

#1: has a wonderful tonal range, and despite the subject's head being dead center, the shot still works. In my opinion, it would be a great start to a homeless series.

#5: The woman has a great expression. I don't know if she really is that surly, but her squinted eyes and pursed lips tell story.

#8: I really wish there was more light on her eyes, because everything else about this shot has so much expression and character. It seems more candid and less posed than the others. I like that. I agree that you could take some space off the right-hand side.

-monkey

Supermonkey,

Spot on. Homeless is a serious of pictures I hope to shoot a theme on. However, it needs time and consideration as many of these people are at lifes lowest ebb and can be pretty delicate. I have another homeless shot in this forum, called Tramp :(

Coments on the crop noted but I decided to stick with the right showing as not to have some all the same though will crop as a test. As for less staged, actually more so as I was changing lens but her laughter shines through.

Thanks,

Diego.

Diego Garcia said:
Thanks for your kind words. Is it OK to cross post? I use two or three websites to discuss pictures etc.

Hope this is not against the rules, apologies if it is.

Diego.

As far as i know absolutely no problem cross posting to other sites, as long as its not linking to theother site :)

Very nice set of shots there DG :)

Back