Are You Still Using Cash?

if you have a standard bank debit card you have to go to the cash machine and enter your pin and take out cash or in the shop you can use your card and enter the pin and pay.
saying you're old and dont have internet doesn't change the above.
i suspect a lot of preference to using cash as a form of taking payments is dodging tax, like window cleaners etc.
do they declare all there earning do they s***e.

Still got the same £10 note in my wallet from last March.....
Biggest problem I’ve found (or will be once lockdown is relaxed) is getting hold of 20p coins that now seem to be required at nearly every public loo in the Yorkshire Dales National Park!!

if you have a standard bank debit card you have to go to the cash machine and enter your pin and take out cash or in the shop you can use your card and enter the pin and pay.
saying you're old and dont have internet doesn't change the above.
i suspect a lot of preference to using cash as a form of taking payments is dodging tax, like window cleaners etc.
do they declare all there earning do they s***e.
We pay our window cleaner by bank transfer using mobile banking app.

We pay our window cleaner by bank transfer using mobile banking app.
Same here. Very rarely use cash now. The young lad who delivers our eggs is about our only regular use of cash

Not used cash for years. What with cashback it's better to use the credit card, same for on holiday I get a better rate using the card than using cash.
I have yet to handle the new plastic notes for instance.

My favourite Chinese takeaway is from the Stone Age. Doesn’t do cheques or card payment, doesn’t do delivery and hasn’t got a website/online order system. I told the lady who runs the place that she‘s the only person I’ve handed ‘real’ money to in about a year. :D

I just read on the BBC that the FCA will consult shortly on raising the limit for contactless payments to £100.

I hope the increase will be optional - currently, only £45 can be spent per transaction with no checks as to who has the card, £100 would be harder to swallow! There used to be a check every 4 or 5 transactions when the cardholder had to enter their PIN but that seems to have stopped.

What's cash? :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

I use my card most times. I think I may use cash only for birthdays and Xmas or when I need change.

I use very little cash and since last March I have hardly ever had my cards with me. I suppose I should take some form of money out with me when I go for a walk, just for emergencies, but as I never go in a shop it doesn't seem worth it.

There are places where cash is still the main everyday currency, or at least makes up a fair amount of all transactions.

A few years ago in NW Scotland I was talking to the then manager of a pub.

The owners wanted everyone who worked there to be on a computerised payroll and be paid monthly by bank transfer. He said he had to explain to the owners that this would not work for some of his staff and that cash was still a major part of the local economy.
Some staff were on a low income, only did a few shifts a week, and needed the money at the end of each shift, or at the very least at the end of each week; and that for some a bank transfer would result in a journey of several miles just to get the cash.

Dave

I don't go out shopping, leave that to the wife. Everything that I need I buy online. Can't remember the last time I had cash in my pockets.

Farm shop where we get our spuds only takes cash as does the free range egg place, window cleaner too.
Some car parks are easier with cash, too often the app doesn't want to work.

Our local Chinese takeaway is only accepting cash at the moment.
That's the only time I use cash.

Can’t remember the last time I used cash. Our local pub used to be stubbornly cash only but the pandemic has seen them give in and start accepting contactless. I use Google Pay on my phone regularly and as far as I’ve found it’s the same as Apple Pay, in that there’s no upper limit in most shops. Increasing the contactless limit to £100 makes sense, I use it wherever possible and this means it’s available for almost every purchase most people make with any sort of regularity.

This is all slightly worrying as I work for a company that’s the world leader in cash management machines.

Receipts need getting rid of next, there has to be a better way of proving you’ve purchased something than being given a scrap of paper in every shop

The £100 for contact less payment is great , A friend of mine lost his card and didn't realize, £270 later he did ! He then ended up in an argument for ever as he had not told the bank that he had lost his card, In new money that would have been £900 makes it well worth nicking bank cards ! I generally have always used cash and when the company I worked for a number of years ago went to bank transfer It caused me to have a 10 mile round trip to get my own money. At the time I thought well that progress ( words changed a bit).
Then later on I moved and started to use the bank card a bit ( not as much as most people) Then just before one of the xmas brought my wife a Kindle e-reader, I set it up with my bank card and it started to suggest books to me which matched the payments I had made on the card , Cycling, kayaking +++ I was amazed how much Amazon a company I had never dealt with knew about me. As I am a very private person and just want to mind my own business I now use cash as much as possible ,I use a VPN and TOR to hide my internet traffic, DuckDuckgo as my search engine to hide my searches and various techniques to hide my identity , location and confuse their AI . On my phone I have WIFI scanning turnsed off , GPS off use mobile data only as it give you the ip address of the cell tower so cannot be used for Google or who ever to locate me exactly. If I started to sell your data to someone one else and got caught I'd be in hot water if Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple do it it fine , so much for data protection ! Rant over ! long live cash.

Last edited:
The £100 for contact less payment is great , A friend of mine lost his card and didn't realize, £270 later he did ! He then ended up in an argument for ever as he had not told the bank that he had lost his card, In new money that would have been £900 makes it well worth nicking bank cards ! I generally have always used cash and when the company I worked for a number of years ago went to bank transfer It caused me to have a 10 mile round trip to get my own money. At the time I thought well that progress ( words changed a bit).
Then later on I moved and started to use the bank card a bit ( not as much as most people) Then just before one of the xmas brought my wife a Kindle e-reader, I set it up with my bank card and it started to suggest books to me which matched the payments I had made on the card , Cycling, kayaking +++ I was amazed how much Amazon a company I had never dealt with knew about me. As I am a very private person and just want to mind my own business I now use cash as much as possible ,I use a VPN and TOR to hide my internet traffic, DuckDuckgo as my search engine to hide my searches and various techniques to hide my identity , location and confuse their AI . On my phone I have WIFI scanning turnsed off , GPS off use mobile data only as it give you the ip address of the cell tower so cannot be used for Google or who ever to locate me exactly. If I started to sell your data to someone one else and got caught I'd be in hot water if Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple do it it fine , so much for data protection ! Rant over ! long live cash.

Thank goodness there are still some sensible people about - well said. :clap:

Just don't spend all your cash on tin foil. ;)

Just don't spend all your cash on tin foil. ;)

I've been around long enough to see LOTS of thing go wrong that people thought never would. You're welcome to your dream world - I want no part of it thank you . . .

I've been around long enough to see LOTS of thing go wrong that people thought never would. You're welcome to your dream world - I want no part of it thank you . . .
I've been around over 58yrs and nothing has gone wrong to raise any concern. :)

I now use cash as much as possible ,I use a VPN and TOR to hide my internet traffic, DuckDuckgo as my search engine to hide my searches and various techniques to hide my identity , location and confuse their AI . On my phone I have WIFI scanning turnsed off , GPS off use mobile data only as it give you the ip address of the cell tower so cannot be used for Google or who ever to locate me exactly.
All this just makes me wonder what you've got to hide?
;)

Hate to break this to you but you can be tracked pretty accurately from cell tower triangulation, especially in a town where you have lots of cell towers that your phone will be connecting to. Its not as accurate as GPS but it can be to within 10s of metres.

Another Duck Duck Ducker here. I don't use Boogle, fed up of getting adverts and getting followed about the net.

Reactions: Sky
All this just makes me wonder what you've got to hide?

I have plenty to hide ! I don't want Google and the likes to know about my medical problems, how much I earn, where I am, who I'm with, what I'm talking about, what beer I drink, food I like, where my children are,, wether I'm gay ,straight or a bit of both, black or white,what my politics are, what my religious beliefs are ++++++ and then feed me adverts based on that, that I have no interest in seeing. Now if you don't mind all this data about you being had and sold to the highest bidder that's up to you but as I said I'm a very private person and don't want it to happen and just want to mind my own buisness and carry on selling guns, explosives, human trafficing ,fake covid 19 jabs, murder for higher,robbing and stealing, international drug and diamond dealing and all thats just at the weekend !

As regards the Cell tower data I agree there are some things you just cannot beat but it doesn't mean you have to surender everything.

Back to the cash thing , I can remember one of the banks went down for the weekend and various people I work with couldn't go about there everyday buisness so If nothing else I would keep a small stash of cash at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sky
I have plenty to hide ! I don't want Google and the likes to know about my medical problems, how much I earn, where I am, who I'm with, what I'm talking about, what beer I drink, food I like, where my children are,, wether I'm gay ,straight or a bit of both, black or white,what my politics are, what my religious beliefs are ++++++ and then feed me adverts based on that, that I have no interest in seeing. Now if you don't mind all this data about you being had and sold to the highest bidder that's up to you but as I said I'm a very private person and don't want it to happen and just want to mind my own buisness and carry on selling guns, explosives, human trafficing ,fake covid 19 jabs, murder for higher,robbing and stealing, international drug and diamond dealing and all thats just at the weekend !

As regards the Cell tower data I agree there are some things you just cannot beat but it doesn't mean you have to surender everything.

Back to the cash thing , I can remember one of the banks went down for the weekend and various people I work with couldn't go about there everyday buisness so If nothing else I would keep a small stash of cash at home.

Well, you can...

My cellphone is just a replacement for our land line. It never leaves the house under normal circumstances, I have no reason to carry a phone around with me.

If you are a private person as you claim you wouldn't be putting that information on the internet anyway, regardless of whether you use google or not. As for them knowing how much you earn, I am intrigued to know how you think they could know that unless you have submitted that information in the first place.
The fact that your content comes through via my google content, it wouldn't be hard to backtrack your content from there. You would do best to avoid the internet completely if you don't want your details getting out.

Back