Argh How CRAP are 123.reg!!!!

Edit My Images
Yes
Right finally bought my domain name through 123.reg.

Paid just under £30 to be able to have 10 pages etc etc which I can do what I like with.......so I thought!

Went through the templates and tried to change the banners and couldnt figure it out!

Give them a ring and they told me I cant and the site is very limited to what I can change!! WTF?? What is the point of that!!!

So, can I transfer my domain name to a company that allows you to develop your own site properly? If so anyone know one?

Any webhosting company will allow you to do your own site but the use of templates can be very limiting - 123-reg are excellent for domains but are owned by Webfusion and there the problem starts with regard to hosting.
A really excellent UK host is http://www.clook.co.uk

You dont need to transfere your domain, you just need to change the nameservers it points to, which would be on your new hosting.

Or you can transfere your domain if you want.

By the way you will have to leave your domain with 123-reg for a while but if you host somewhere else you can still 'forward' your domain to your new hosting in the 123-reg control panel's DNS edit feature.

Can you not just write your own HTML and upload to your allocated root dir?

I had the same issue with Fasthosts a few months back and ended up deleting their cr@p 'site builder' content from the FTP folder, learnt some basic HTML and uploaded it direct... all good now and I'm not relying on their utter rubbish templates.

If you would like hosting from a fellow photographer who understands your needs take a look at *** hosting

e v a word is band for some reason.

Last edited:
Can you not just write your own HTML and upload to your allocated root dir?

I had the same issue with Fasthosts a few months back and ended up deleting their cr@p 'site builder' content from the FTP folder, learnt some basic HTML and uploaded it direct... all good now and I'm not relying on their utter rubbish templates.

:thinking: ........you lost me on 'can you....... ' lol

Im not bothered about transfer domain name, I am new to the website stuff so not a clue what I am doing.

So I can leave it with 123.reg and build my own site and link them in in the controls with the 123.reg account etc?

Yep, if you get a new hosting solution with another company, they will give you a list of nameservers for your domain.

in 123.reg control panel you should be able to set your domain name servers to that your new host will give you. After abot 24 hours for DNS propegation your domain should then point to your new host site.

Im not bothered about transfer domain name, I am new to the website stuff so not a clue what I am doing.

So I can leave it with 123.reg and build my own site and link them in in the controls with the 123.reg account etc?

I have used 123-reg with no problem. Create your own site, use an ftp program (cute.ftp for instance) and transfer your files to 'your' space with 123-reg. You should be able to get the instructions from 123-reg. However, if you are really new to this web site building thing, you may be in for a steep learning curve!

I find 123reg are great for domain registration, but I would never use them for web hosting. I use UK Web Solutions Direct, they give great service and always answer my questions very quickly.

lol sorry :bonk:

If you have the time and inclination then you might want to actually build your own website from the ground up using 'code' i.e. HTML (it's what the interweb is made from), it's rather easy if you're after something simple and all you do is send the code to your webhosting company (123.com) and they host it for you (simply put, you have to 'upload' it manually to a specific folder on their server). Here's one I built for myself a few months ago with VERY little knowledge of coding:

http://www.barnabyskinner.me.uk/

The thing is even if you change hosting companies you may very well end up with similar restrictions if you choose a similarly priced package, even the more expensive packages arn't that great at helping you actually build the website itself, they are more geared towards managing it.

If you want to make your site look 'flashy' (both in name and nature) then you need to at least get a hosting company that will allow the use of Adobe Flash (common nowadays) and either buy a template from a reseller such as www.templatemonster.com or learn how to code in Adobe Flash which not advisable if you're new to web design.

Here's a flash site I built recently from a £50 'Adobe Flash' template from a reseller, I did need to buy Adobe Flash as well however so it quickly mounts up: http://www.bjsphotographic.com

The best option is to go with Flickr or similar if your not confidant writting your own or using the cr@ppy templates the hosting company provide. Unfortunate but true.

Good luck though (y)

Last edited:
I have no idea what FTP is! lol

Think this is going to be another can of worms for me...

tsohost.co.uk and never go with uk2.net or you'll never get rid of them!

Yep, if you get a new hosting solution with another company, they will give you a list of nameservers for your domain.

in 123.reg control panel you should be able to set your domain name servers to that your new host will give you. After abot 24 hours for DNS propegation your domain should then point to your new host site.

There may be a problem with that when you want to get on Google.

Normally you have to purchase another domain name from your new host then "point" the domain name on 123 to the new domain name.

This can result in a split between the 2 names especially where Pagerank is concerned.

You're better off transferring your name to a new host or else update your 123 reg account to allow you to use FTP to upload your own web pages to the site.

Normally you have to purchase another domain name from your new host then "point" the domain name on 123 to the new domain name.

This can result in a split between the 2 names especially where Pagerank is concerned.

You're better off transferring your name to a new host or else update your 123 reg account to allow you to use FTP to upload your own web pages to the site.

Hmmm looks like FTP is going to be the better way to go so far.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you don't know what ftp is, (neither do millions of other people), you are going to struggle to construct and maintain your own website.
There are loads of companies who will design a website for you (think £££) or you can buy or get free website templates but the latter will limit considerably what you can do to personalise your site.
Check your local area for small web design outfits and get some quotes.

Please don't take this the wrong way but if you don't know what ftp is, (neither do millions of other people), you are going to struggle to construct and maintain your own website.
There are loads of companies who will design a website for you (think £££) or you can buy or get free website templates but the latter will limit considerably what you can do to personalise your site.
Check your local area for small web design outfits and get some quotes.

It might be worth it, and once its up and running I suppose I can learn how it all works and maintain it etc.

Absolutely, trial and error on your PC rather than butchering your site and you will learn the basics in a relatively short time. Some website design software e.g. Dreamweaver are very good but take a long time to master, there are some easier to learn like Frontpage (now obsolete but useable) that allow you to design the site and it then converts it to HTML. Not for the purists but a good means to an end.

I have no idea what FTP is! lol

If you want to have a website and don't know what HTML and FTP are you are going to be struggling.

The closest analogy I can think of is having a car and not knowing what the pedals do or why there are petrol stations next to roads.

This page is an introduction to HTML http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/ , it is the markup language that all web pages are written in. FTP is how you get the web page from your computer where you edit it to your website.

i always use, and recommend, www.names.co.uk for registration and hosting.

they might be a touch more expensive than you can get elsewhere, but their service is brilliant... always get a response within 24 hours, if not an hour or so. never had a technical issue either.

if anyone wants to sign up with them, let me know and if I recommend you we'll both get £25 of high street vouchers ;)

so to clarify (like OP i've got naff all knowledge) i can just buy a domain name off 123 and then create a web site with Wordpress...use that domain and have someone host the site?
I dont need to use 123 as the host do i?

sorry to hijack

Dan

You could BUT why would you?

For £9+vat..... £10.58 you can buy a web site address, host it for a full year and have unlimited email addresses at that site plus full web based gallery support for no extra cost with www.one.com. Their galleries and email are very easy to just set up and use. After the first year it is £14 per year or £24 for a .com site and the space plus traffic allowance is very high

You could BUT why would you?

my 2p...

it would be a good method if you're not greatly experienced with web design... Wordpress makes it very easy to set up a website, much more so than doing your own and running scripts provided by the host (which are generally rather poor).

Wordpress is by no means a complete answer to having a professional and bespoke website, but it's a great intro for someone starting out in web building.

In my line of work, for those that want their first website, I now recommend people start with Wordpress and when they outgrow it/want more flexibility, then they're ready to design their own.

I have just looked into wordpress, going to mess on with it after work.

But I also acquired a copy of adobe dreamweaver and aim to learn how to process my own etc

I have just looked into wordpress, going to mess on with it after work.

But I also acquired a copy of adobe dreamweaver and aim to learn how to process my own etc

if you've no experience of HTML/web building, then all I'll say is good luck! it is industry standard software, and although easy to use with experience, if you've not done this before, it's not going to be easy :(

Sorry but you're wrong.
You do not need to purchase a new domain with your hosting company. Your hosting company will give you the nameserver settings that you set your domain with the other company to.

Its very common to have 1 company handle the domain registration and other companies do the hosting.

I have easyspace managing my 2 domains, and they point to different hosting servers.

Never had a problem with google rankings either. As far as googles concerned, all it sees is the DNS entry pointing to your hosting servers. It doesn't see anything about where the domain is registered.

Last edited:
Back