Argh!!! Nikon 17-55mm

Got mine from carmarthen cameras for £550.... If they don't have on try mifsuds, aperture uk, srs microsystems, lce,.... One of those is sure to have a used one in :)

Got mine from carmarthen cameras for £550.... If they don't have on try mifsuds, aperture uk, srs microsystems, lce,.... One of those is sure to have a used one in :)

Doh! LCE Exeter just down the road from me has one in stock :) £700 though, better be good for that price. I'll go take a look tomorrow I think. Do you think they'd move on the price? a bit of haggling maybe :D

Thanks to specialman, thorton, twitch, stu_the_flat

Still awaiting a reply from Kerso, he may have a super duper deal on a new one :D

Mine did have a few marks on the barrel and no box, hence the price.... haggle LCE to under £680 and you have a good deal

I believe kerso has stopped doing nikon lenses, Im also after a nikon 17-55 but am hating ebay, unless theres one close to where I live. I want to see and feel what Im buying before parting with my cash.

No worries. If it's worth anything, you have total comeback anyway if there's an issue, and these three shops have been brilliant in the past for many people I know - very kosha product descriptions

Good luck :)

I believe kerso has stopped doing nikon lenses, Im also after a nikon 17-55 but am hating ebay, unless theres one close to where I live. I want to see and feel what Im buying before parting with my cash.

kerso contacted me with a very good price on the 17-55, he said he had two in stock so obviously hasnt stopped selling them. I ended up buying one used to day from LCE Exeter, 5 minutes away from me, went up in my lunch hour. Pristine condition, as new, no lens hood so they're ordering one in for me brand new from Nikon :D

kerso contacted me with a very good price on the 17-55, he said he had two in stock so obviously hasnt stopped selling them. I ended up buying one used to day from LCE Exeter, 5 minutes away from me, went up in my lunch hour. Pristine condition, as new, no lens hood so they're ordering one in for me brand new from Nikon :D

Thanks for the info :)

Just to say Im a proud owner of 17-55mm nikkor :) and have to say fantastic service from dale photographic in leeds. (y)

Given what a high class lens this is it doesn't hold it's value that well? Most decent Nikon lenses seem to hold 70 or 80 percent of their new price but this one only holds 60 percent or so? Bit of a bargain second hand me thinks.

Beardy said:
Given what a high class lens this is it doesn't hold it's value that well? Most decent Nikon lenses seem to hold 70 or 80 percent of their new price but this one only holds 60 percent or so? Bit of a bargain second hand me thinks.

There are bargains about but I picked mine up at a reasonable price saving over £300 on a new one but I searched for a few days and called several camera shops before I picked one up in as new condition. Most seem to be well used but I wanted a warranty also but could have picked up one for around £550 if I wasn't fussy. Having said that I'm sure, if you're lucky, eBay will throw up some good bargains but I didn't Want to go down that route, also no warranties.

Last edited:
tee_tee said:
Just to say Im a proud owner of 17-55mm nikkor :) and have to say fantastic service from dale photographic in leeds. (y)

Used? Good price? It really is a superb optic. I had a Tamron 17-50 before, which was optically great, but it lacked the build of the Nikon. The Nikon is now my main lens and although bearing a few battle scars, it continues to impress, especially in the rain (it just shrugs the rain off).

Probably because it's expensive new, so people go for the 3rd party options, and even second hand it could be seen as being still too expensive, especially if prospective buyers assume it's going to be like the Tamrons and Sigma. The build is the most surprising aspect I feel and something that isn't talked about enough when it comes to this lens.

I also think that it probably doesn't stay in people's bag for that long, such is the (apparent) need for people to go full-frame these days. Sometimes I get the impression that some people (especially on TP) don't think there can be world-class optics for DX and that FF has exclusive rights to the best IQ.

Last edited:
Used? Good price? It really is a superb optic. I had a Tamron 17-50 before, which was optically great, but it lacked the build of the Nikon. The Nikon is now my main lens and although bearing a few battle scars, it continues to impress, especially in the rain (it just shrugs the rain off).

Yes used, at a good price, Mint optics and no signs of wear, hood had a very minor mark, and came with 1 months warranty so Im pleased with that, my sigma is now up for sale.

Back