Arial video

Studi0488

Suspended / Banned
Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
I have had a drone2 quadcopter (toy) and am amazed at the results, considering the "toy" factor the results are very good, anyone else tried on?

Would love a heavy lift one for a dslr, but cannot justify it, also anything over 7kg need a pilots licence to fly.

I keep getting very tempted...

there's a few that will hold a gopro pretty stably for pretty cheap. DSLR ones that are reliable and stable are quite a bit more.

Do have to be careful though, know of one shoot that managed to slam a red epic into a mountain in a drone accident...

I'm at the early stages of building an octo-coptor but I need to make it very portable a bit like the DJI S800 but my own design, using ali instead of CF. I'm planning on the Wookong M GPS as a controller but the Y2 looks okay.. I think? I expect a lift of at least 2.5 to 3kg so a DSLR should be okay....... The Photohigher 200 Gimbal is on the shopping list.... :cool:

I keep getting very tempted...

there's a few that will hold a gopro pretty stably for pretty cheap. DSLR ones that are reliable and stable are quite a bit more.

Do have to be careful though, know of one shoot that managed to slam a red epic into a mountain in a drone accident...

What sort of copter would you get "cheaply" for a gopro?

Lots of stuff can take a gopro. Most full size quadcopters can carry one. You can get kits from China from £120 upwards that would do a respectable job. The X525 is one of the cheapest and most popular but a remote is extra and you often have to build it unless you buy a ready to fly one.

50-500g camera weights seem to be manageable for modestly budgeted stuff. Once you go above that then the expenses become a chunk more.

Sub DSLR level lots of people are using the Sony Nex 5 for multicopter stuff. I've bought a Blade MQX quadcopter and a key fob cam type thing to get up to speed.

It's proving to be rather trickier than I expected. I think it'll be quite a few months, if not longer, before I consider any type of upgrade. The controls reversing when it's facing me is the hardest to nail. I've read of filmmakers spending 15-20 grand on a multicopter and destroying it on the first flight. They seemed to have it fixed in their minds that it's a doss.

There are RC simulator programs that have quadcopter models in them. You can plug in the controller that you use for real. That might save alot of learning pain.

It's definitely worth it when you can film things like this http://vimeo.com/36341233

Last edited:
I'm in the process of building two. A small one for a gopro and a big one for a DSLR. Been flying models (Scale, 3D Aerobatic, Jets & Helis) for the last 20 years, so for me the flying bit is dead easy! I have seen a lot of people who think its easy though, they normally give up after a few costly repairs.

I use a gopro on a radian glider which I think is MUCH easier to fly than a quadcopter. It must be if I can do it. I only started learning in the summer. This was one of my first attempts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGrA-A_3Rk
I think something like the radian could also carry something much heavier than the gopro if I get confident. The best bit for me is that a radian was about £150 for everything, radio, plane etc..
al

We have just started using a quadcopter shooting with a sony NEX 5 and the results are fantastic. https://vimeo.com/55713131

There was quite a bit of work to do in post using warp stabilizing but I can see these drones fast becoming an in expensive way to shoot aerial. The guy I work with pilots the drone using only line of sight instead of the goggles which give you a first person view from the copter.

The Sony NEX 5 shoots in a mps. format that needs transcoding before your can edit it in a nle program but with the right settings there is no quality loss.

For stills we still rely on the GoPro and a RC gimble that is also controlled by the pilot.

Back