Ariel Rios Courtyard

Edit My Images
No
ArieRiosCourtyard158.jpg

That's a cracking shot !! The compistion leads your eye nicely round the shot & finally to the man leaving the shot. Works well in Mono

its an excellent shot, very good indeed. Did you wait for the figure or was that a case of good timing?

Tuna, that's a lovely shot, try flipping the image horizontally so that it reads left to right. Maybe it's just me but it seems to have even more impact that way?

Thanks to all for your kind comments.

Matty said:
its an excellent shot, very good indeed. Did you wait for the figure or was that a case of good timing?

In this case I was setting for just a shot of the scene when I saw her coming...waited until she arrived and took the shot - framed differently to allow for her presence in the shot.

In some cases, I will find a dominant scene and will wait for something, often the human element, to enter the scene which may enhance the effect (or change the interpretation) of the shot.

Tuna

Steep said:
Tuna, that's a lovely shot, try flipping the image horizontally so that it reads left to right. Maybe it's just me but it seems to have even more impact that way?

A curious suggestion. There are many theories regarding the leaving/entering of the scene as well as the way the brain accepts certain information from an image - as your suggestion indicates in relation to this image. Here is the reversed version for those who wish to compare.

Tuna

ArieRiosCourtyard154flipped.jpg

Hmmm...
I'm a sucker for a good B&W and this is no exception. Like that a lot.

Compositionally it does work better 'flipped'... but the puritan in me says leave it as it was...

Great shot Tuna.

As you mentioned, it's interesting how the brain interprets things.. The first image appears to me almost as though the man is walking backwards 'into' the shot..

The 'flipped' version certainly works better in one way, but I like the almost 'awkward' feeling the original gave me (in terms of the man and his direction)..

I think it's a regional thing. In the western world the way we read is from left to right so our brains become adapted to left/right thinking. Other parts of the world read right to left and would probably think the first image was more dynamic.

Personally Tuna, I think the original compostiton works best, walking in from from right to left.

Great photograph, very impressed with what you have posted so far. :)

jimandasideoffries said:
Personally Tuna, I think the original compostiton works best, walking in from from right to left.
Totally agree, flipped it looks awkward somehow. The original has a natural and relaxed feel about it.

Back