Army helicopter Bell 47 United Nations

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
helicopter.jpg

Last edited:
I feel you really needed a longer lens here to get closer.
The Bell is a bit underexposed and needed a slower shutter speed to blur the rotor blades.

Do like those old helos though:)

as this was a spare of the moment shot and ive only been taking photos for about 2 months now and only have a 18-200 lens i think its a damn good effort

as this was a spare of the moment shot and ive only been taking photos for about 2 months now and only have a 18-200 lens i think its a damn good effort

Yup and you posted in a forum that gives and takes critique. All I did was tell you how you could improve the shot.:shrug:

Peter
Mark gave you some critique on how to improve your images, so my advice would be listen and take in when people try to help you and you will improve

Photography is hard and taking on board critique rather than be defensive about it
will help you in the long run

Marks take on this image is spot on you need a longer Lens and you need a slower shutter speed - as it was a spur of the moment shot you can be forgiven for having the wrong settings dialled in and an unsuitable Lens for the job

I am very novice also and i am very pleased when people take the trouble to look and tell me how i can improve , i think its brill that folk are so helpful.:)
I have asked about settings and improved a lot.

please accept my appology mark i understand where your coming from i wish i had a longer lens as photography is also not a cheap hobby. maybe one day i will be able to purchase one and create that same image but in a closer more difine detail

Peter

It might also help if you put a bit of info with your pic - the fact that it was a grab shot, you're a novice etc

Remember you dont always have to fill a frame with something to make a good shot.

I found moving from a zoom to a prime for aircraft meant that I couldnt get the type of shot I'd always got with my zoom (ie frame full of aircraft) now I have to look for an interesting angle.

All comes with time, I've only been 'into' photography for a couple of years and I surprise myself when I look back through my first pictures and think to myself what I would now do different. Back then I had a terrible time remembering settings and trying to figure out exposure!

Anyway, back to the pic!

Where was it taken? (I have a real soft spot for helicopters, though I find them a bugger to photograph!)

ATB

Neil

Based at Sherburn?! You're kidding me thats literally a couple of miles down the road from where I am!!

Will have to keep an eye out for it!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Neil

Peter i am in the same boat as you having just started aviation photography, even after aquiring a very expensive 600mm prime, my first pic was slated, oh it hurt, but just suck it up and take the good bits of advice, I would rather have harsh criticism than no replies at all, hopefully it will help us to improve.:naughty::naughty:

Based at Sherburn?! You're kidding me thats literally a couple of miles down the road from where I am!!

Will have to keep an eye out for it!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Neil

Not only that they have 2 Bell 47 choppers based there and a Hiller 12 which was in the James Bond Film Goldfinger in the 1960's which is a very rare bird indeed
77576995_MqkN3-L.jpg

good effort. i have had my D5000 for a year now and still struggle to blur rotor blades.
where did you take the photo. was it local? noticed you are in hudds too. :)
this was taken at this years honley show with a tamron 70-300
5821947211_3fa5ca32f9_b.jpg

You might like this - Taken in 1965 during the Radfan Campaign. Not the greatest performer at this altitude/temperature, but invaluable in those days.
Sioux@ThumierYemen-1.jpg

wow im amazed at all pics you guys have posted here shows i have still a long way to go well practice makes perfection

I think pete took this above blackmoor foot res last saturday as he said a chance shot it amazing whats flying about on a weekend over this way

Back