Scotland Around Glasgow...

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
Please give me some ideas for scenic escapes from Glasgow (ideally NOT within the concrete city area!). Loch Lomond is an obvious one but something south of the river would be quicker to get to.

Some ideas further up north will be also very welcome.

P.S. As you may guess this is where I am based now.

Nothing else? Everything half decent seems to be at least 1hr away from the concrete and motorway city, which is in "weekend" territory. Despite everyone telling me the place is "now safe" I doubt I will be brave enough to pull out a camera in central Glasgow.

What exactly are you looking for? General scenic views? If you don't want to leave the southside try Pollok Park (it has two museums inside the park), Rouken Glen for it's waterfall, Linn Park for it's river, Bellahouston Park has a great Art Deco museum.

For higher up views over Glasgow and surrounding areas, Cathkin Braes, Gleniffer Braes and Lyle Road in Greenock.

There are loads of Castles within an hours drive - Culzean, Bothwell, Stanley (in Paisley). There's a few ruined castles around the place - Crookston Castle, there's one in Mugdock Park, Dumbarton Castle. There's a few country houses (and parks), Pollok as i've mentioned and Chatelherault in Hamilton.

For a general walk around, the top of High Street is fine - The old Cathedral, the Necropolis, the oldest house in Glasgow, some good Victorian architecture. Then take a stroll down to Glasgow Green.

If you're looking for something a little different, try Cardross Seminary.

Is there any timetable for the demolition of residential towers? This would be the most exciting thing to watch ever.

I've been to the centre today (not specifically for photography). Before coming back I shot some disposed tyres, rubbish... The cathedral is almost black for some reason; Necropolis - a fancy cemetery - was obviously all locked. There is one fairly decent street for shopping - all brand label expensive stuff. I doubt it is for me; Silverburn Tesco and shops are more like it.
Maybe I'll try shooting the merging motorways from pedestrian bridge. There are like 12-16 lanes in total. That thing properly scares me every time I drive in and out.

I suppose there is no real equivalent of Clifton Bridge close, is it?

How come you've left Bristol now? Hope all is well.
@ST4 will be a handy guy to know, he often shoots in Glasgow now he has been banned from driving.
I'm sure weekend trips he'd come along and split the costs too. A good chap.

Reactions: ST4
How come you've left Bristol now? Hope all is well.
@ST4 will be a handy guy to know, he often shoots in Glasgow now he has been banned from driving.
I'm sure weekend trips he'd come along and split the costs too. A good chap.

Yes, I am up north probably for around 1 year. It would be great to plan some weekends with members like ST4.

Oh thank god for that...

Would be happy to meet you and do stuff. I am banned from driving. I need lifts, you need to learn the area, I know the area...this could be the start of a great friendship. When are you up.

Cityscapes that I do are best done down at the Clyde river front near the SECC.

Loch Lomond...I will show you that, Rannoch Moor and Glencoe, you drive, I will show you the spots and angles and the time of day

I've seem some great shots of the massive windmill farm just south of Glasgow on Fenwick Moor, might be worth a visit. M77 / A77 heading for Kilmarnock.

Is there any timetable for the demolition of residential towers? This would be the most exciting thing to watch ever.

I've been to the centre today (not specifically for photography). Before coming back I shot some disposed tyres, rubbish... The cathedral is almost black for some reason; Necropolis - a fancy cemetery - was obviously all locked. There is one fairly decent street for shopping - all brand label expensive stuff. I doubt it is for me; Silverburn Tesco and shops are more like it.
Unless things have changed drastically since I left, there are many shopping streets in Glasgow.
Buchanan Street, Argyle Street, Ingram Street (which is the expensive/brand label one), Sauchiehall street - in fact most of the city centre. Merchant city too.
If you visit the west end there are even more - Byres Road, etc.

For scenic locations within an hour that aren't Loch Lomond: try Dunoon and the Cowal Peninsula (Loch Eck and Puck's Glen), Aberfoyle and the Duke's Pass, there's also a beautiful old railway station at Wemyss Bay.

Do you just want Glasgow or the surrounding areas? I'm over in the west and there's the path behind Mar Hall, under the Erskine Bridge. West Ferry at Bishopton turnoff is also good when the light's right (just be careful of unwanted adult "interest" if you know what I mean). Lyle Hill in Greenock is popular for sunsets and night shots. You certainly have plenty of motorway bridges just west of the city as well - good for light trails at night.

If you're in the city centre, just make sure you look up. Some wonderful architecture and contrasting styles on adjacent buildings. I love the place for that.

there is lots of places all over you have the old mill in lanark , summer lee where there is old miner houses etc ,and strathclyde park etc , as said loch lomond luss , inverbeg etc aberfoyle arrochar etc inveruglas etc the rest and be thankful is a nice drive

Back