Scotland Around Inverness

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Off to visit friends in Garve, north west of Inverness, in March, and starting to look for locations around there that would be good for landscape and wildlife photography. Quite prepared to drive and walk to get to locations for sunrise/sunset as needs be. As it will be my first ever visit to Scotland (other than a couple of drunken weeks in Edinburgh when I was 18) I am quite happy to visit the more popular locations as well as those not so popular. Any books worth picking up on the area?

Tia

Stephen

Head on the A832 towards torridon and do the circuit back via Gairloch and Poolewe or head north of Ullapool towards Lochinver and on towards Achiltibuie and be prepared to be blown away if the light is right. I'm not going to list them as it really is just an endless stream of photo opportunities.

There's nice waterfalls at Rogie Falls between Garve and Contin.

I'm off to Lochinver for a week in April and just can't wait. There's so much to see in that area and the coastal scenery is stunning.

Have a good trip

White sand beach at Melanudrigill, stunning scenery, hard to go wrong in that part of the world.

Chanonry Point is awesome for dolphins if the tide is right. They come to within a few metres from the beach.
Fairy Glen at Rosemarkie is a pleasant walk (not far from Chanonry Point).

I too am going to suggest going to the west.

A couple of suggestions

1. From Garve the A835 north west towards Ullapool is an excellent road and a small detour at Braemore Junction gets to the Corrieshalloch Gorge. This link on the Walkhighlands site gives a good idea of what it is like - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/ullapool/corrieshalloch.shtml

North of Ullapool (which incidentally has very good fish and chips) the scenery is spectacular. If you want a fairly short walk Google Stac Pollaidh. It is about 15 miles north of Ullapool. The view from the ridge is, IMO, one of the best mountain views in Scotland.

This journey (round trip from Garve) is probably about 90 - 100 miles.

2. Just outside Garve (going north) is the A832 and it is about 20 -30 miles to Kinlochewe with good views on the way. West from Kinlochewe is Glen Torridon which is full of great views. Shieldiag is around 10 miles from Torridon village and just south of Shieldaig is the start of coastal route to Applecross. Applecross has a great cafe at the Potting Shed ( http://www.applecrossgarden.co.uk/ ). From Applecross the Pass of the Cattle is worth the journey (but it really need a good day). If the day is clear the views are superb, but best early or late in the day. From the south side of the pass it is about 40 miles back to Garve and the round trip is probably about 115 miles.

The Walkahighlands site is very useful - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/

It is handy for finding walks but also, because there are lots of photos of the walks, gives an indication of what an area is like.

Dave

Thanks for this info, can always rely on TP people. Just reading these posts make me eager to get there. And interesting to see Garve mentioned as that is the nearest village to where we are staying. Fingers crossed for some photogenic weather.

Last edited:
Head east to the Findhorn Foundation, a unique developement and very picturesque. Fort George and Culloden are also well worth visiting, both in that general area.

Back