Arrive at the ground - how do you pick where to sit?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
I really agonise about this. Being a bit methodical as a person, I like to have procedures and logic about things that I do, but there are so many variables in where to sit that it drives me bonkers with indecision sometimes.

I wrote up my current approach on my blog thingy, which I've pasted some of below, and I'm wondering what the rest of you guys do. Same thing, or do you have a different approach. Very interested in what you have to say on this as it's one of the most important considerations once you know how to use your cameras properly and have invested in a decent stool :D...

* Do your research first. Who’s playing and are there any important issues happening in the match. For example, a recent football match saw one player celebrating his 500th professional appearance. He was not in the starting lineup, and came on as a sub in the 2nd half. Knowing this was likely to get some coverage, and knowing that he was a forward, I made sure I was at the end he’d be attacking to get some good shots of him, and the result was a nice half page in one of the national papers.
* Having done your research, and worked out that the top-of-the-table side is likely to beat the mid-table team, you’ll figure out that the goals will be at the end the top team are attacking. However, what if there’s a massive upset – that’ll be more newsworthy so you’d want to be at the other end. On the basis that most of the photographers will be at the goal the favourites are attacking, I’ll often go to the other goal as I’ve got nothing to lose. It’s very difficult to make this call until you are at the ground due to some of the reasons that follow.
* At the ground, you know who’s playing, and your research may mean that you want to shoot a specific player or type of incident, so that overrides what comes next and you position yourself accordingly. If there’s no such imperative, I check out the layout of the ground, the position of the sun and the crowd, and try and work out the best angle. There are a number of factors to take into consideration and I try and balance the benefits of each:
o Where are you allowed to sit – obvious really, but this is the first main restriction.
o The lighting – ideally a dark stand in the background makes the players pop out more than a bright sunlit stand.
o The background crowd – a solid crowd looks better than a load of empty seats.
o Where the away supporters sit – an away team scorer will tend to run towards their own supporters when they score which is a crucial bit of knowledge for getting good celebration shots.
o Where the home players normally run to when they score – they can be quite predictable.
o Where the team managers sit – some nice screaming manager pictures are always useful.
o Where the substitutes warm up – in rugby they often warm up behind the try line and get in your way. In football they warm up on the touchline closest to the dugouts so if you’re on that side they’ll get in your way too.
* The next thing to take into account is the position of the big agency photographers. Being one of the “little guys” working for a small but perfectly formed agency, it’s vitally important to try and get different shots to the ones they are getting to stand a chance of being published and earning some cash. Firstly I’ll see which other photographers are at the game when I sign in, and then I’ll sit as far away as possible from them whilst still retaining the best possible position.
* Do you change position at half time? Unless I’m shooting a particular team or have specific directions, I’ll see how the play is going in the first half and then decide whether to stay put or move at half time. Of course, some of the other photographers may move too, which brings back the big agency photographer positioning back into the equation.
* Is there going to be a big presentation to the winners after the game? Where will it be? How long will it take you to get your kit sorted and get over there to be in a good position? Is it worth shooting the 2nd half from close to that spot in order to get there first?

good post, pretty much all these points go through my head before kick off.
however i do find football to be very unpredictable in lower leagues, and anyone can beat anyone. For example, i thought leeds were going to turn over barnsley on tuesday night, and it ended up being 5-2 to barnsley! so its just a case of doing your homework, and a slice of luck!

* The next thing to take into account is the position of the big agency photographers. Being one of the “little guys” working for a small but perfectly formed agency, it’s vitally important to try and get different shots to the ones they are getting to stand a chance of being published and earning some cash. Firstly I’ll see which other photographers are at the game when I sign in, and then I’ll sit as far away as possible from them whilst still retaining the best possible position.

That's why I've got no friends isn't it! Good post mate, plenty of things that we all take for granted now I guess...
(y)

Good post Tobers.

I had this problem at the weekend. I covered the Millwall v Watford game and tried to stay as far away from the 'big boys' as possible so sat at the opposite end of the pitch to where they were, which was infront of the away fans. This was my first time to Millwall and i now know why they sat there. All of the away fans were sat in the top tier of the stand, so all of my images have a lovely back drop of empty seats.

To add to this i was at the wrong end for the first 3 Watford goals, had a player in the way for all of the goals shots and the cele's pretty much all had their back to me. Second half, 3 more Watford goals great, except that for every cele they ran away from me back to the travelling fans at the other end of the pitch!

Ho-Hum, not a good day ot the office. If i ever go back to Millwall, i know where i will be sitting!!

Hi James - that's a really interesting little account of your day. Sometimes it just goes that way. However, you just know that the other guys will have had all of those shots anyway so your likelihood of getting some shows will have been low. However, if something had happened at your end you'd have a much better chance of getting it in. Sometimes you've just got to write an afternoon off :D.

Thanks Tober's this is really useful.

For the lower league football and rugby I've been shooting I do take a similar approach.

Do my research before hand, who are the 'big name' players I want shots of.
I walk around the ground looking at which direction the sun is coming from, what are the backgrounds like, check with a 'local' about where the subs would normally warm up etc and pick my spot from there.

On saturday the sun ruled out one side of the pitch to shoot from and the the messy car park ruled out one of the ends. It meant that main stand wouldn't be my back drop but a nice wooded area with a few fans was. Worked out OK.

It was just a shame about the action in the end :(

Good post Tobers.

I had this problem at the weekend. I covered the Millwall v Watford game and tried to stay as far away from the 'big boys' as possible so sat at the opposite end of the pitch to where they were, which was infront of the away fans. This was my first time to Millwall and i now know why they sat there. All of the away fans were sat in the top tier of the stand, so all of my images have a lovely back drop of empty seats.

To add to this i was at the wrong end for the first 3 Watford goals, had a player in the way for all of the goals shots and the cele's pretty much all had their back to me. Second half, 3 more Watford goals great, except that for every cele they ran away from me back to the travelling fans at the other end of the pitch!

Ho-Hum, not a good day ot the office. If i ever go back to Millwall, i know where i will be sitting!!
I would have thought the empty seats problem is a sacrifice worth making to try and get something different to the masses? Yes, ideally you want the best background, but if you sit with the big boys even if you get the best image of the game, what chance do you have, good background or not? My shots at Middlesbrough often have the empty seats, which I don't like at all either, but at least I know I'm far away from the majority of the 'togs.

Last edited:
Great write up Tobers.

I also try and stay away from the big boys but its getting hard and harder to do so as there are so many of them, again I check the list aswell. I nearly sat on the halfway line at Stamford Bridge last night in the vain hope of some kind of strange cele but 7 goals and celes all away from me bar the 1st one.

I think the key is do you homework, know the players etc. I mix it up spot wise at each ground so I am at least getting different angles as I only really cover 4 or 5 grounds, unless its QPR then you only go to one place for fear of your life!

I don't really know any of the guys on the sidelines down here as they all seem to keep in their "agency huddles", so if anyones every down this way please say Hello ;)

Back