Art 35 & 50 or RF 28-70?

Name
Andrew Blundred
Edit My Images
Yes
Sigma Art 35 and 50 lenses have been my main lenses for a while now, on my 5d's and on my R6. I am about to replace my 5d's for R5's and the Art lenses and have the opportunity to either buy the 2 Art lenses, or switch to the RF 24-70 f2.8 or put a little more money to it and push for the 28-70 f2. I am really conflicted and not sure what to do. I love the results from shooting at f1.4 but the versatility of the 28-70 has me interested, plus being native RF.....so I have come here for your thoughts. It will be used for outdoor portraits and weddings.

Current kit bag
7DII
5D3 (being replaced)
5D4 (being replaced)
R6
16-35 f4
Art 35 f1.4 (being replaced)
Art 50 f1.4 (being replaced)
EF 100l macro IS f2.8
EF 70-200 II IS f2.8
Art 105 f1.4

Last edited:
If you’ve decided you’re replacing the Art lenses, and you want native RF, your choice is literally the 28-70 f2 or the canon rf 50mm 1.2 and 35mm 1.8

The rf 35mm L is expected some time soon, and there’s no Art RF lenses yet (there’s rumours, but they’ll only be lenses that won’t directly compete with the canon offerings.

Last edited:
BTW the 28-70 is currently available grey for a very good price. I hovered before deciding I didn’t want the weight.

Just to add, if I was still shooting weddings; with my R6, I’d be keeping the 35mm Art on it.

I’ve kept mine because I love it, but it’s genuinely my least used lens and I really ought to let it go.

R6 + 28-70 f/2 = OK. Maybe
R5 + 28-70 f/2 = NO. Maybe at f/8....

Maybe you don't care about 8K resolution, but then why waste money on 8K camera? Get another R6 / II or R3 and be done.

On R5: You will be OK with 35mm at f/8 (replace with Tamron), 50mm at f/5.6, 100mm macro somewhere around there as well, probably focus stacking, 105mm is your best one by a mile.
Again that's if you care about making the most of that sensor.

EF 70-200mm will be a waste of time on R5. Keep it on R6 forever,
16-35mm just ok at 16-20mm at f/8

And no, RF won't give you anything much better. RF 24-70mm is not very sharp and has 5 stop vignette. f/8 lens really. junk. 28-70mm will really need R3 for the size and many R5 owners are not happy with sharpness. 24-105 f/2.8 again one for R3 and event use. Bloody overpriced too. I'd rather move to Nikon or Sony to be fair, but at least you can have a bunch of cheap ARTS

Best lenses you can get are 28, 40, 85, 105 and 135mm ART, Tamron 35mm f/.1.4.
50 1.4 ART is borderline on 8K.

On a side note, there is the Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1 which is available in RF mount. It's manual focus only though. I don't find it too much of a problem as the electronic contacts allow use of the Canon's face detection to select the focus point, and the arrow thingy that tells you whether you're in focus or not (as well as transmitting EXIF data to your files). Quality is top notch and I find it as good as the Art 50 (EF mount) with the advantage of being smaller, lighter & brighter.
Apologies if I answered a question you didn't ask but the Voigtlander lens doesn't get much publicity so not many folks know about it.

although I really like the R5 it’s an amazing camera I haven’t felt the need to replace any my EF lenses they work even better on the R5 than they did on my DSLRs
agree about the tamron 35mm even though it’s EF mount it’s apparently better than the RF lenses and I’ve got one on back order

although I really like the R5 it’s an amazing camera I haven’t felt the need to replace any my EF lenses they work even better on the R5 than they did on my DSLRs
agree about the tamron 35mm even though it’s EF mount it’s apparently better than the RF lenses and I’ve got one on back order
I am getting thoughts of replacing my 70-200mm f2.8 ii with tamron G2. I do wonder if it is a visibly better lens on 8k. No point keeping 6k limited glass
Other than that there is the GMII on you know what - these are the realistic options.

I am getting thoughts of replacing my 70-200mm f2.8 ii with tamron G2. I do wonder if it is a visibly better lens on 8k. No point keeping 6k limited glass
Other than that there is the GMII on you know what - these are the realistic options.
Yes that’s very true absolutely try to get the best out of the sensor
As I mentioned before I’m still using the 70-200 f4 I’ve considered replacing it but I only occasionally use it almost always on the 300 2.8 or 100L macro
Both are awesome especially the 300

Would this be the is MK1 or MK2? Big difference at least in price between the two.

70-200 f4
I have Is MK1. Absolutely great around 70mm but it does slightly fall off towards 200mm and there are all these r system limitations with it. I'll just keep it for what it's worth but there are cases that ideally need 2.8

Would this be the is MK1 or MK2? Big difference at least in price between the two.

I have Is MK1. Absolutely great around 70mm but it does slightly fall off towards 200mm and there are all these r system limitations with it. I'll just keep it for what it's worth but there are cases that ideally need 2.8

my 300 2.8 is the mk 2 apparently the m2 is better with the 1.4 and 2.0 tc

Back