Arti-Six

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks, I picked up an Arti-six in it's original box plus manual yesterday for just a few pounds in a local market. All seems to work, although it needs a good clean and a proper test with some film. An initial google reveals.........not very much at all. Can anyone shed any light on these cameras, anything at all? Any other owners on here?

Yes, I've read those, bit sharp there no? I was only asking if anyone else had any other info as those pages are limited and there are little to no videos or anything to help someone new to the camera. There are no posts on this forum either, hence wondering if there were actually any other owners out there.

Last edited:
Yes, I've read those, bit sharp there no?
If you'd taken the time to mention the pages you already knew about then we'd know that there was no need to suggest them.

Gee, so that's how this forum goes. Ok dokes, thanks for the links anyway. Very welcoming to the newcomer. Next time I shall list, page by page, link by link, every single resource I have looked at and bore everyone to tears. I only asked a simple question, looking for a little help and guidance as a new film photographer.

You're welcome
You're welcome.

Gee, so that's how this forum goes. Ok dokes, thanks for the links anyway. Very welcoming to the newcomer. Next time I shall list, page by page, link by link, every single resource I have looked at and bore everyone to tears. I only asked a simple question, looking for a little help and guidance as a new film photographer.

Welcome to the forum @larakitten

On the whole everyone here is friendly and more than willing to share experience, so please don't be put off. I'm sure most of us would really like to hear about how you get on with your camera and to see your resulting photos.

Last edited:
Gee, so that's how this forum goes.
As Nige says pretty much everyone on here is friendly and welcoming, especially the regulars in the Film and Conventional sub-forum. Looking forward to hearing how you get on and seeing the photos.

Please don't think that this part of the forum is typified by the remarks of certain (fairly new themselves) contributors, it is definitely not. If you stick around then hopefully you will see that we are helpful, friendly and a little bit eccentric. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience around here and if we can help (in a friendly, non sarcastic way) then we will. On this occasion unfortunately I have no useful information as it is a camera I have not heard of before but I am sure someone around here will know something. Welcome to this bit of the forum.(y):D

Hi folks, I picked up an Arti-six in it's original box plus manual yesterday for just a few pounds in a local market. All seems to work, although it needs a good clean and a proper test with some film. An initial google reveals.........not very much at all. Can anyone shed any light on these cameras, anything at all? Any other owners on here?
Hi @larakitten, I'm sorry about the original 'welcome' you received. As has been said, we're mostly a friendly and helpful bunch here in F&C. Unfortunately I've not heard of an Arti-six so can't help with it. I hope you try it out and look forward to seeing your results :)

And we are all now wanting an Arti-Six, it sounds like fun :)

Looks an interesting camera. I like the way the lens telescopes from the body similar to the Rollie 35B, LED, etc. Plus the fact that it takes regular 120 film. Love to see some results from it.

Thank you all for a much more pleasant welcome! I'd really like to stick around ha ha.
I saw the Arti-six for sale that was posted upthread, mine was under a tenner and all bits that should move do so, so I'm hopeful of a successful test once I get it cleaned up.

I can't find much at all really about these cameras, I've searched for it under it's other names too, the Wembley Sport and the Grand Manitou with not much joy.

I'll report back once I clean it and get some film for it, but in the meantime if anyone out there knows more or indeed has one please yell!

Thank you again for the warm welcome and some good photo chat.

I've never heard of it before, but the sources listed indicate that it appeared "around 1950". There is just an outside chance that it might have been reviewed in the British Journal of Photography Almanac, a reasonable chance that I have the volume if so, and a remote chance that I might find the review if it exists. However, I'll take a look...

P.S. Welcome the the forum, and the best part thereof.

Thank you all for a much more pleasant welcome! I'd really like to stick around ha ha.
I saw the Arti-six for sale that was posted upthread, mine was under a tenner and all bits that should move do so, so I'm hopeful of a successful test once I get it cleaned up.

I can't find much at all really about these cameras, I've searched for it under it's other names too, the Wembley Sport and the Grand Manitou with not much joy.

I'll report back once I clean it and get some film for it, but in the meantime if anyone out there knows more or indeed has one please yell!

Thank you again for the warm welcome and some good photo chat.

Please do hang around…..As some of us in here are becoming increasingly Fusty and Crusty ( F&C Film & Conventional!!) , we need as many new ( possibly younger) members as possible…..I do anyway so as to keep my sanity whilst those around me sometimes seem to be veering away from theirs!:exit::LOL:

Unfortunately I can offer no help whatsoever concerning your Arti Six…...sorry:sorry:

As for your unfortunate intial responses, it would appear that the now suspended member was fairly eager to be a tad "sharp" as i had a minor running in with him only a day or two back…...No worries you're now in good hands and imo, in the best part of the forum.

Welcome aboard!

I've just checked the BJPA volumes for 1950 to 1954 inclusive, with no result. I have the rest of the 1950s, but I chose what seemed a reasonable cut off date. Sorry.

Thank you so much for trying! Really appreciate it. And really do say a big thanks for a warm welcome (and the suggestion of being a younger member........I'm old enough to have used film cameras and to have an 11 year old daughter, yikes!).
I did notice the member was suspended, oops, sorry! He was a tad rude, not necessary when we are all here to share what we can!

Another ipernity link - this for the Wembley Sports but has the manual !!!!

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/328743/album/419065

They don't make it easy to save the pages - TIP - zoom in to half page in browser then use Windows snip tool to grab half page at a time.
I'm rather fortunate in that mine came with an original box and manual! Happy to scan and post it up if any one else daft enough to have one of these cameras should need it.

I'm rather fortunate in that mine came with an original box and manual! Happy to scan and post it up if any one else daft enough to have one of these cameras should need it.

Many of us are daft enough to have considerably dafter cameras, in fact the majority of us are dafter than a daft thing whose taken an intensive course on daftness. :D

In the Fifties I was intensely interested in new cameras. However I can not remember that one coming on to the market at all.
I can not find anything about the lens at all. So it was probably very simple indeed, much like a better box camera, more likely a doublet than a triplet.

It seems that the same basic design was reused in a number of different forms, and apparently originated in a 1935 French camera. I have been wondering whether to extend my BJPA search back into the 1930s.

I too hadn’t heard of it.
Looking at it on line it reminds me of a Beacon camera that I had which was also made from bakelite although that was 127 format so a much smaller camera.

If you'd taken the time to mention the pages you already knew about then we'd know that there was no need to suggest them.
You're welcome.
What a c**k! Good to see the ban hammer has been used, we'll have none of that sort of thing here.

@larakitten welcome to the best bit of the forum, as others have said the greeting you received, from the now banned member, is not typical.

There's a wealth of information here so if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I look forward to seeing the results once you've run a roll through your Arti-Six

I am still searching (sporadically), and did at least find that none of the photographic books/pdfs I've downloaded (c108,000 MB worth) contain the word "bakelite" (courtesy AgentRansack, not speed reading!). However, it did occur to me to just call people's attention to the value of old books for camera reviews and notices. Anyone interested should take a look at archive.org. Further useful pointers within that vast archive on request.

Many of us are daft enough to have considerably dafter cameras, in fact the majority of us are dafter than a daft thing whose taken an intensive course on daftness. :D
You mean a Staffie bull terrible... don't you?
I call IT daft.. but I have to wonder when it gets ME to feed it!

... did at least find that none of the photographic books/pdfs I've downloaded (c108,000 MB worth) contain the word "bakelite" (courtesy AgentRansack, not speed reading!).

Just to remind that PDFs can contain images of pages (or even some words) instead of proper text, and so cannot be properly searched (though I don't know how clever AgentRansack is!). This is particularly likely with older books and journals that are automatically digitised. Where the software doesn't recognise a word or sequence it can stick in an image instead.

But your point in general is well taken.

Yes, you're quite right (as usual). It is however usually possible (if you so wish) to download the text as text, when it becomes searchable (but a LOT less readable, and no illustrations). So, yes, my search wouldn't be complete. I won't say "back to the drawing board" so much as "back to the reading room" :(

Back