Artificial Slope Skiing

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I have friends who ski at Hillend here in Edinburgh. So set up the wireless trigger and flashes, and fired of a night of photos- what do you think ?

_MG_5907.jpg

_MG_5881.jpg

_MG_5870.jpg

Great effort, but I think the flash power needed to be stronger as I think it's too under exposed :shrug:

Good concept, but there are a couple of issues, one of which is the exposure which Andy touched on.

More flash power would have burnt out the face and snow, but lifting the ISO from 100 to 400 would have given more definition to the bodies of the skiers and given you a greater range of contrast to play with.

Also shooting at f/2 the focal plane is very narrow, which explains the missed focus on No3.

If you have multiple flashes and are going to shoot again, I'd consider setting one up behind the pole/turn, to create a sort of rim light and give the subjects more definition. You'll need to play about with positioning and practice a few times, but it would be worth it.

love the concept.. love the pictures... I really dont know enough about the sport and i certainly know just about nothing when it comes to using flash of any sort... so cant critique much

But deffo like the pics and concept :)

I'm no expert either but a bit more light would make them better for me..

Well captured. I've never thought of photographing skiing before. I wonder if they would mind if I went to the local slope and started snapping away. We have a indoor slope with real snow near me so could make for some interesting shots!

Well captured. I've never thought of photographing skiing before. I wonder if they would mind if I went to the local slope and started snapping away. We have a indoor slope with real snow near me so could make for some interesting shots!

never turn up and snap away on private property.. always better to ask... your in north west? i asked rossendale ski slope and they wernt all that keen..but that was a couple of yrs ago.

never turn up and snap away on private property.. always better to ask... your in north west? i asked rossendale ski slope and they wernt all that keen..but that was a couple of yrs ago.

Yea I would ask first. I was thinking of Chill Factor near Trafford Centre if you know it. There is a nice balcony overlooking the slope as well (and a bar :LOL:)

N88 - some of the slopes like Tamworth are great in allowing people access for photography, but I know the Xscape ones (MK, Cas, Breahead) can be real sticklers for having public liability insurance and all that, and having that doesn't gaurantee you slope access. Don't know if Chill FACTORe is any different but i expect with general public on the slopes, you'll need to be insured up to the hilt for everyone's safety.

Saying all this, doing shots on the slope is good fun. I've been to a few of the jams at Tamworth and although you are limited in some sense by what park they have set up on that day, you have freedom to move around. Here's one I managed to grab quite a while ago:

The Snowboarder by Pat MacInnes, on Flickr

There's a guy at Tamworth (Mat, he works there) who does a lot of slope togging with OCF. I'll try to dig out a link on him but if you want to see some good work check out someone like Dan Medhurst - he's one of the staffers on Whitelines.

Maybe have a look at the FBBB site to see who's shooting and where.....

Last edited:
Yea I would ask first. I was thinking of Chill Factor near Trafford Centre if you know it. There is a nice balcony overlooking the slope as well (and a bar :LOL:)

went... took my daughter and her boyfriend.. me and the missus stopped on the balcony... chill factore said they activelly encourage photography but only of the people you are with.. used 1dmkIV and canon 70-200 mkII f2.8

chill_01.jpg

chill_02.jpg

chill_03.jpg

chill_04.jpg

chill_05.jpg

chill_06.jpg

Back