Arty Photography

Name
Sarah Ann Smith
Edit My Images
No
This is my first post on the forum, and my first project for about 5 years... so be nice!
clip_image001.gif
:p

I'm at the early stages and would like some thoughts on what I have created so far, the main subject is.. being a female these days!

Dead Petal by Sarah Ann Smith, on Flickr

Red by Sarah Ann Smith, on Flickr

Abstract Hair by Sarah Ann Smith, on Flickr[/URL]

:ty:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum.

Im not the most artistically minded on here, so maybe im not the right person to comment, but im struggling to understand the project, sorry. Would you be able to elaborate on the theme at all? Sorry if im being dumb.

Cheers

Nick

Hiya,

Your not being dumb lol I'm still not 100% on where I'm going with the project, But I'm really interested in using everyday objects to create a different kind of documentary photography. I suppose the main theme is quiet reflective of my feelings as a women. I would love to hear anybody's thoughts on progressing the project :)

Sarah

I think you may need to expand slightly as it's not immediately obvious. All of these have a fair amount of discarded long hairs on textured paper and I'm not sure what the context is throughout the images, unless it's about growing old, hair loss?

#1 has light and dark areas, mood swings? not sure where the dead petals?
#2 a dead flower, the framing of the light is interesting, For me this possibly reflects the monthly cycle, the red and dead life?

As they stand the images don't communicate a theme other than abstractions using real objects. Even knowing your theme doesn't really help to clarify your purpose unless that is to provoke a meditation on abstraction, the idea that this is from a female perspective isn't clear as yet although it may become so as you extend it. I think the issue you have is more with the artistic side - concept, what you are aiming to show, reveal or provoke, than the photographic. It may be too soon for you to know where you are going until you have made more images and then assessed them and identified themes, common threads or a narrative. There may be many sub-themes start to emerge so, really, just keep taking the pictures that are meaningful to you and when you have a quantity (20, 30, 100?) study and sort and see what speaks to you.

I guess I'm just at the beginning of the project, and I think your right, all will become clear with taking more pictures.

I looked at these earlier today and have been pondering on-and-off since. I'm a bloke so perhaps not qualified to comment but I had come to a fairly similar conclusion to Jim, I was thinking that I would need more context or more of a lead-in to your theme for me to be able to really form an opinion.

Keep going, I'm really interested to see how this turns out.

I am a male and a tad follicle-challenged so not overly qualified to comment. However, I like the sound of the project and quite like No.1 as an abstract although I would prefer more light on the subject. Long hair strands may not be obviously representative of femininity (I had shoulder-length hair in a past life) but it somehow does. Pink and flowers are represented in No.2 and both of course are (largely) associated with the female gender. Is hair the common thread you intend with the rest of the project - that works for me. What other symbolism will you come up with next I wonder. Good luck with it.

View attachment 39931
dateposted-public

This photograph is off a used cotton make up pad, and I used a Photoshop filter on it. It kinda looks like a galaxy to me! not intended but a happy happening! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back