As it's the season of giving.... The "Best Gift Ever".

Not allowed to anymore, but used to donate regularly.

I'd expect there to be more that don't, as something like only 4% of adults regularly go.

I started going for the tea and biscuits at the end... now I've heard rumours of a dinner in London when you reach 100! :)

I'm up to about 30 donations now. Don't go as regularly as I used to when work gave me time off to go to their own session though.

Same as Ruth not allowed to any more. But my daughter is carrying on the family tradition (both my dad and father in law gave blood)

I'm up to about 30 donations now. Don't go as regularly as I used to when work gave me time off to go to their own session though.

Good for you, must be a lot easier when they come to you... and you get paid for giving too. :)

Same as Ruth not allowed to any more. But my daughter is carrying on the family tradition (both my dad and father in law gave blood)

My wife can't either, but does her bit by supporting me. I get tea and toast when I get home, as well as that which I have at the session. :D

Thank you Bernie... :)

One of the reasons for my commitment is that I am O- which can be given to anyone, regardless of their blood group. So babies or instances where there isn't time to establish group immediately.

got my 50 about 8-9 years ago then went onto the component donation... (my mother was going through rather aggresive chemo. at the time, and it felt like the right thing to do, put back a little stock...)

been out of the loop for a while recently, must give them a shout and start up again...

Excellent mark. :clap:

Nice to know that even though your contribution isn't going directly to that special someone, what you do makes a difference

They've gone to an appointment system now so much less waiting around. I'd be in and out in under 40 mins if I didn't spend so long at the tea table :D

component takes a bit longer normally - nearer 90 minutes on the seperator machine, but if you've got the time then it's worthwhile considering.

I'm a donor but had to stop recently due to thyroid problems, I'm due to have radiotherapy for it soon does anyone know if that will stop me donating in the future

I'm a donor but had to stop recently due to thyroid problems, I'm due to have radiotherapy for it soon does anyone know if that will stop me donating in the future

Used to have to wait a certain number of years after your radiotherapy treatment, but I can't remember how many....sorry.

component takes a bit longer normally - nearer 90 minutes on the seperator machine, but if you've got the time then it's worthwhile considering.

Might ask someone about it when I'm in next. :)

I'm sure if you phone them up they'd have someone who could advise you. Whenever I've spoken to them the person has always been incredibly friendly and helpful.

Decades ago I did around a dozen in a few years, but then didn't hear anything, even though I worked for large firms in the City.
Ironically, every donation I did was when I worked for local government, and it stopped when I worked in the private sector.
So, is it more common for public sector workers to give blood than private sector workers, and is it influenced by their employment circumstances?

Decades ago I did around a dozen in a few years, but then didn't hear anything, even though I worked for large firms in the City.
Ironically, every donation I did was when I worked for local government, and it stopped when I worked in the private sector.
So, is it more common for public sector workers to give blood than private sector workers, and is it influenced by their employment circumstances?

Seems fairly likely that if you can get paid by your employer for donating, and have time out of the office you'd be a fool not to. :) I wonder how many employers are large enough to merit their own session though, and if they can also afford for the required number of people to have that hour of work?

I used to work at a food manufacturing plant in Leeds which actually had one of the mobile units turn up twice a year and run sessions where people at our place, and the 3-4 factories nearby used to drop in through their working day...

Thanks for the reminder, I've just booked in for my 27th :)

I looked to component donation , they don't normally do it at the mobile sessions, you have to go to a clinic to get it done. There are 23 sites across the UK. Here's a link for more info. http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

Nice one Chris, now you say that, I have asked about platelet donation before. I'd have to go to either tooting or southampton to do it though.

This thread has inspired me to sign up for blood donation, don't know why I haven't done it before as my girlfriend goes regularly. Just a pity that the next session in my area isn't for another couple of months.

This thread has inspired me to sign up for blood donation, don't know why I haven't done it before as my girlfriend goes regularly. Just a pity that the next session in my area isn't for another couple of months.

Excellent... It's much easier if there's a local session at a time that suits you.

I stopped for two years when I couldn't give due to my job, and they've stopped coming to my local on a Friday, so have to go somewhere else on Monday.

I looked to component donation , they don't normally do it at the mobile sessions, you have to go to a clinic to get it done. There are 23 sites across the UK. Here's a link for more info. http://www.blood.co.uk/platelets/

Yeah - I basically started doing it after leaving the Food Factory and working from home (whilst looking after my Parents...) - though strangely enough, the center I attended was in Seacroft, only a couple of miles away from Crossgates, where I used to work...

I must admit I'm on the fence as to platelet donation, I guess I don't know enough about it. I try and donate every 3 months as allowed (I want to help as many people as possible :) ) and part of the reason for me donating platelets is that I can donate more frequently. But then I worry about those who don't get my whole blood. With regards to location I am fortunate that there is a platelet centre 7 miles from me. Decisions, decisions.....

Platelets are needed by those with Leukaemia , among others. When your blood has been blasted by chemotherapy and you no longer have any immunity , and your platelet count is low [ platelets help blood to clot ] a little bleed can be fatal.

Blood transfusion is a life saver - yes

Platelet infusion is a life saver - yes

@ChrisHeathcote hey Chris, you can't help everyone single handedly.... :) Both platelets and whole blood are going to be needed.

Platelet donations can be done more regularly, (monthly?) Since they filter the red cells out from the donation and pass them straight back to you (?).

So if it fits with your life and you can do it, then you are helping more people.

Back