As the moon rose over Loch Lomond (10 minutes)

Edit My Images
No
This is the image I took following my first 22 minute exposure. The moon rose over the mountain shortly after. Exposure was not as long as the first of course due to the moons rate of travel.

It's not as successful as my 22 minute exposure but I still like the result. I would have liked a sharper more defined moon but it wasn't possible due to the requirement of a lengthy exposure.

804702113_KM7KM-O.jpg

Lens: EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Image Date: 2010:03:04 00:16
Focal Length: 10.0mm
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 602.000 s
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Exposure: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (Manual)

Still looks good to me Ian, I like the beam of light reflected in the lake from the moonrise and how the clouds seems to be sweeping through the sky in the same direction as the star trail.

Thanks Carl. :)

I really do prefer night time work as opposed to some day time work. Just me and my camera :)

Cheers existent.

I would hang that on my wall any day. the 22 min one is also a cracker. well done, passed by their last Wednesday week on a trip to Fort William. very diff weather that night i can tell you. lucky to make Fort William at all?....:wacky:

This is pretty fine. I like the compopsiton. Exposure is nice too. Often moonlight shots are so bright they look like daylight shots except for feint star trails, but this definately screams 'night time'.

I'm not sure what I think about the twigs and trees... Can't decide if they add anything or not.

Thanks Aiden, Matt, Neo

Matt what I personally like about the trees is the framing and near > far perspective. Rather than have a wide open space, they also give the sensation of peering through the trees. It would be interesting to see what it would look like without them for sure.

However, only extensive cloning or a 12 ft drop would allow that I'm afraid.

Cheers for the comments :)

Spectacular shot.

Cheers Gary. As mentioned in the 22 minute thread it's an interesting concept of the crop. Maybe a central horizon framing next time as well?

Justin, here are a couple of google map links. I was on the A82 just near Tarbet.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...5845,-4.703479&spn=0.008199,0.027874&t=h&z=16

This one is a zoom in as to where I believe I was. There's a layby on the Tarbet bound side of the road (facing down the gradient)

If you look at the A82 markers from the right/top I was in between the 2nd and 3rd marker down. You'll see a gap in between the trees on the shore.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...6698,-4.702942&spn=0.001972,0.006968&t=h&z=18

Good stuff Justin. Shall look forward to seeing what you get. Remember if you're heading there, the moon pops up over the mountains to the left so at this time of year heading over around 11pm might be beneficial as you'll get the chance to expose with no moon and then of course one with.

There's also scope for a longer exposure with a smaller aperture to lengthen any star trails you might get.

Just as a quick though, the parking point wasn't exactly a lay bay, it was kind of a clearing. If you head over during the day for a reccy you shouldn't miss it. There's a pole and power line directly by the parking point where I was (See my star trail shots for that one.. pff! :) )

Ps. thanks Granty

Cheers Mick

Cheers Graham, Nattelie.

I agree there's a Ten Stop feel to it. Mind you, I'd say the level of ambient light available would be akin to 10 stop or even more anyway.

I must revisit with my ND110 sometime in the daylight and replicate the shot but daylight :)

hehe, Thank you Ozzy however CC's would always be welcome ;)

Back