Asa Wright

tlr

Edit My Images
Yes
I have done a search, but surprisingly didn’t find any threads on the subject:

We are off to Asa Wright in Trinidad for a few nights in November, so any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

In particular I am wondering about what gear to take. I have a 1d mk4 and a 100-400 mk2 which I have used successfully on Hummingbirds before, but I feel that it often isn’t long enough, and it struggles a bit with the x1.4 fitted. It looks like the light might not always be great up in the forest either.

Sooo, I am of course thinking about new gear and the 500mm f4 is top of the list. Would those who have been say that the 500mm is a ‘necessity’, a luxury or actually a hindrance in terms of size and weight at Asa Wright?

Thanks.

Tim

If you don't mind the size weight and cost of the 500 F4 (mkii of course :D) then that would be a good choice.
I can remember taking my mki to Florida years ago and it was no fun, you also have to think about the airline restrictions on cabin luggage.

Have you considered a 150-600 of whatever flavour you choose?

Reactions: tlr
We went a few years ago and whilst the hummers are a few inches away you do need something longer for the other birds. I rented a 600mm and did not regret it - apart from lugging it to the veranda from our room. Enjoy and I will be happy to answer any specific questions. Look forward to seeing your shots!

You will have a great time there Tim we went in 2016, I shoot with Nikon and purchased the Nikkor 200-500mm especially for the trip and it served me well, I would also favour a 150-600mm same as Laurence as suggested as I'm not sure Canon do one in that sort of range, I personally wouldn't take a big prime I'm no pro and it would be far too much trouble and far to heavy for me to cart around in that humidity, Hummers on the feeders and birds in the grounds will be fine with the 100-400mm , for birds in the forest and on any trips you may have the extra reach of a 150-600mm would be a boon, I can highly recommend the trip to see the Scarlet Ibis btw it's well worth the money in my opinion :)

Thanks. I’m surprised so few people have been to Asa Wright, I thought it was kind of compulsory!

I think I will keep my eye open for 500mm, I’m fit enough not to be too bothered by its weight and it would come in very handy in the UK for me. But if I don’t manage to find one then I’m sure I’ll have fun with my lowly 100-400.

Back