Asked to remove some images from my website..

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
A year or so ago I went along with a friend to some of the weddings they were photographing to get myself some experience. This person is now asking me to remove the all photos taken on the weddings when I came with her from my website and everywhere else I have used them.

Sure I can understand removing photos that look similar to hers and I already did this but to remove them would be to remove some of my favorite wedding images.

They're your photo's under copyright. Not hers. They're your pictures to decide what you want to do with them.

Did the 'person' give a (valid) reason for the removal?

Your photos, you took them, you are not misrepresenting your work...

Of course, you might be interested in a financial settlement if she would like to purchase them...

that they would appreciate it.

That suggests there was no contract between you two stating that the images were not to be used in your commercial portfolio. Was there verbal prior agreement about the use of the images?

Last edited:
A year or so ago I went along with a friend to some of the weddings they were photographing to get myself some experience. This person is now asking me to remove the all photos taken on the weddings when I came with her from my website and everywhere else I have used them.

Sure I can understand removing photos that look similar to hers and I already did this but to remove them would be to remove some of my favorite wedding images.

Don't remove them then. She's probably trying to protect her commercial interests so it might be a good idea to let her know you have no plans to sell or pass them on. And that if you do get any enquires, you'll forward them to her.

While selling them might not be illegal (depending on the contract you had with her) it's not cricket.

Well if you don't want to fall out, give in.

You don't have to give in, but that will of course cause an argument.

Let her buy them off you, everybody wins.

I think I would want to hear the reason behind the request though!!
I don't think thats at all unreasonable.

I personally think some of the images are the more stronger ones in my portfolio for weddings. If I remove them I will potentially loose business. I get the impression that they are concerned I am taking some of their business although my pictures are of a different style completly.

I personally think some of the images are the more stronger ones in my portfolio for weddings. If I remove them I will potentially loose business. I get the impression that they are concerned I am taking some of their business although my pictures are of a different style completly.

Are they togs as well? :thinking:

Did you supply copies of your images to the main photographer to sell to the couple? What I mean is were you in effect, paid or otherwise, acting as an employee?

and as such you work by their rules

When I second I can use the images fine, but nothing public until the couple have them

Different photographers have different house rules

Sounds to me that whomever it is really is scared they are losing business because of you. But put it this way.. hypothetically: is this person going to hassle the mother of the bride to take down photo's from her website next?
They are your images, do what you feel is right but... they have no right to make you take them down.

I would tell her sorry but i took them, you didn't say anything about me not using any pics i take so sorry they stay!

Maybe they don't like it because you are more professional than they are with your picture taking! Jealousy.

erm, they photograph weddings....so yeah ;)

I offered my pictures to use so she could give the couple the images

Oh heck, I managed to totally misread your first post, thought you were saying that the bride was asking you to take the images down :bonk:

Head, meet desk.

you do need model release. period.

Not necessary at all. Why?

I do wedding, and the first thing before clients pay holding fee is to ask them to sign model releases, preferably, brides maids, flower girls (guardians) too.

What on earth are you planning to do with wedding pictures that makes that necessary?

doesn't it depend on the mains house rules. I mean effectivly you were working for them (albeit they were doing you a favour). They should of told you straight up you couldn't use them, but I think its a bit less clear then some make out.

Jing why bother, they're not legally binding in the UK and it strikes me as a lot of hastle. I have a clause in my contract saying I may chose to use photos in future for my purposes, but I'm not spending the whole day getting every guest to sign meaningless releases

If someone has been good enough to let you shoot on their working assignments then I'd say you should be good enough to comply with their wishes, I see your point about not wanting to as technically they are your images but sometimes there's more to a situation than the law.

You don't need model releases. By hiring a photographer they are, in effect, giving permission.

I have two versions of my contract. Standard one allows me to do what i want with them, the other gives me limited rights i.e website only but no commercial use so I can't use them for sample albums or marketing material. I do have some brides who have asked for that so I give them the choice. I'd rather not lose some weddings over restricted rights. :)

And the copyright may not be yours. It depends what you agreed with the photographer. One that I shoot with will allow me to do whatever I like with the images while another retains all copyright and I have no use of the images.

What did you both agree and have you got it in writing?

Last edited:
I guess its so it doesn't come back to bite him. Unnecessary but safe.

not even safe, just not needed, make it clear to the B & G (being polite) that you may use them and if they object reach a comprimise, but nothing more

I replied with the following..

I only have 1 wedding this weekend but I thought I was able to use some of the images for helping you out now and then? How come you need me to take them off, im a bit confused? I can go through again and remove any similar images to the ones you shot if that helps. Otherwise it would wipe out 1/3 of my portfolio.

I dont exactly want to fall out with this person over this.

I reckon it works both ways. She doesn't seem to be bothered about upsetting you by requesting the images are removed.

Perhaps she was doing you a favour by giving you the experience, but then if she used some of your photos to give to the couple then you've also done her a favour.

Besides, if even now these are some of your strongest photos and also taking into account that she used some of them then it would appear that it wasn't really a case of you gaining experience but more a case of her having a free second photographer.

I'd stand your ground. They are your images and I think she is being rather rude.

It's down to the primary to inform any second shooter about copyright. They may have (wrongly) assumed that you know this.

It's a case of poor communication but if the primary is assuming that they hold copyright and so do you then that is where the problem may lie. I'd ask them what their assumption is before going any further.

And get it in writing next time! :)

I replied with the following..

I only have 1 wedding this weekend but I thought I was able to use some of the images for helping you out now and then? How come you need me to take them off, im a bit confused? I can go through again and remove any similar images to the ones you shot if that helps. Otherwise it would wipe out 1/3 of my portfolio.

Sounds good, without a reason there's no real chance of compromise, you can either keep them up and fall out with this person, or give in and wipe out your portfolio!

Not sure how model releases factor into anything, I'm fairly sure they're not even legally required in the UK, despite the stock agencies requiring them and being a good idea 'just in case'. :thinking:

Last edited:
Nothing in writing, nothing they can do. Simples

I agree with Koolpc.

If you have nothing agreed as to what you can and can't do... then you do as you like. It's too late after the fact.

I do wedding, and the first thing before clients pay holding fee is to ask them to sign model releases, preferably, brides maids, flower girls (guardians) too.

So, what do you do about the guests? Photoshop them out or get them to sign a release over their bowl of mushroom soup starter at the reception?

Back