Asking for a copy of the image, what to do...

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
So I took a picture of some dancer girl at an event recently.

carnival-CRW_3581-%20051.jpg

She got in contact and is hoping to get a copy of the image. I'm still unsure on professional etiquete really. As a professional I shouldn't be giving out my work so people can reproduce it at will. But then I think that she never asked for the picture to be taken so what right do I have to sell her it? However, she also hints at getting a portfolio done for her dance work. So theres the possability of future work. Give out a freebie in the hope of reeling her in, so to speak. Then of course that could just be a lie to get a free photo :D Damn shame I can't do discount codes on Photobox so I could say "Sure you can get it for 50% off".

My understanding (which could easily be wrong) on the situation is that the photo's probably worthless at the moment as you more than likely don't have a model release so can't use it commercially.

Give her a copy, free or at reduced cost, on the understanding she signs a model release?

The right that you have to sell it to her comes from her performing in public and you taking the photo - giving you the copyright does it not? Shes asked for it, therefore you can sell her it.

Or watermark it and ask her if shes interested in more shoots.

I think model release forms only come into play when you specifically hire a model for comercial use. If you're out on the street and you take a picture of someone with their consent, then thats all you need to sell it. If you're at an event, you're not likely to get everyone to sign a model release form in the middle of a gig or something. I was told this by someone who shoots a lot of editorial photography so I'm not 100% sure if thats just for editorial stuff or not. Obviously I couldn't go off and sell this photo to some magazine to be used in advertising for like makeup or something. Thats when I would need a release form.

I think the problem with the watermarking, or at least the way I do mine is that it will be on an easy to remove spot.

Id just give her a copy of the shot with a price list for a portfolio shoot, the lady may well know a lot of other dancers who could be in the market for some portfolio work too,

Give her a good quality jpeg copy (with your watermark) so you've still got the RAW to prove you shot the original then let her use that image for free as a sweetener for any further work :)

Id just give her a copy of the shot with a price list for a portfolio shoot, the lady may well know a lot of other dancers who could be in the market for some portfolio work too,

Give her a good quality jpeg copy (with your watermark) so you've still got the RAW to prove you shot the original then let her use that image for free as a sweetener for any further work :)

My thoughts exactly :) I'll give her it resized to A4 so she can't use it for anything more than that. She doesn't know what camera I have or what it can print to. Then get her in the studio for some more shots :D

As above, really - free can be OK sometimes!
Although I tend to go in for "reduced cost"

It was definately an electronic copy she wanted and not a print yeah?

stick it on her face then, she knows what that looks like ;)

:LOL: :LOL: excellent.

If you were there for some other purpose than to take shots of her and you've fullfilled that objective..... and letting her have a shot wont compromise your initial job or sales, then a small free copy with a price list would be appropriate I'd have thought.

Back