Aspirin

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on it? Does anybody here take them on a regular basis? The reports on the use of it seem to change like the weather, the latest from 3 days ago suggest that it is good for you in small doses.

I take 75mg daily, the standard dose for cardiac-related issues.
The concensus is that they are mainly beneficial in helping to prevent heart attacks and strokes by thining the blood.
However there is a risk of bleeding, particularly in the stomach, which in extreme cases can lead to anaemia.
Generally it isn't something to be self-prescribed.

I also take 75mg of Asprin per day, I've been taking this dose for a few years, with no apparent side effects. In my case it was prescribed to reduce the risk of a stroke - it's a possible side effect of the problem I have.

I would be guided by the medics, they seem to have a good grasp of the "risks and rewards" of what they prescribe. I did my own research and decided to take their advice.

Chris

Yeh I have seen that info Gramps, just not long been in the chemist and asked for a pot of the 75mg ones.

Me: Small pot of Aspirin please.

Assistant: Does your Doctor know you are taking them?

Me: No, but then there are lots of things I take that he dont know about :D

I also thought they were available in the Supermarkets as well but I could be wrong :shrug:

Anyway Gramps I just thought I would start taking them. One every few days or every week aint gonna kill me is it? :thinking:

Anyway Gramps I just thought I would start taking them. One every few days or every week aint gonna kill me is it? :thinking:

Probably not but do you know your existing blood count?
If your count is already under normal you could in time become anaemic, you could also be more susceptible to bleeding in the stomach and/or the brain.
You should discuss your medications with your doctor ... all sorts of things can affect emergency treatments ... aspirin, garlic, some herbal 'drugs'.

There was a big study completed recently with 102,000 participants over 6 years. I think the conclusion was broadly the reduction in cardiac events by taking aspirin was outweighed by the (higher) risk of non-trivial bleeding.

It was suggested that taking a dose every other day reduced the bleed risk but maintained the cardiac benefits.

As always though, the trends seen in a large study like this might not be relevant to the individual e.g. if you know you already have cardiac problems then there may well be benefits in taking it.

Short Radio 4 interview with the researcher here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9674000/9674700.stm

See your GP. If your risk of a heart attack or stroke is very low there may actually be more risk of bleeding than the thing you are trying to prevent. If you are worried about these things you should probably have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked too.

SEEK A DOCTORS ADVICE

Remember that the dosage of most people who are prescribed it is a lot less than what is found in most over the counter tablets.

Way off topic but it's theoretically posisble to develop film in Asprin, not sure how much you'd need mind. Might try it one day!

Anywho, carry on...

I only ever take it before long flights as my dad has had DVT a few times. I'm also pretty tall so tend to be cramped on a plane. I'm fairly active so not overly concerned about taking it every day at the moment.

Alan Clogwyn said:
Way off topic but it's theoretically posisble to develop film in Asprin, not sure how much you'd need mind. Might try it one day!

Anywho, carry on...

I thought it was paracetamol... Perhaps it's both!

I thought it was paracetamol... Perhaps it's both!

I've heard of Parodinal but haven't actually seen a recipe with it in, mainly because I'm not interested in mixing a home brew dev that involves an off the shelf dev as an ingredient, smacks of placebo...

Aspirin works in it's own right being very similar to the caffeic acid that makes Caffenol work.

I think this thread has developed a mind of its own!

I've heard of Parodinal but haven't actually seen a recipe with it in, mainly because I'm not interested in mixing a home brew dev that involves an off the shelf dev as an ingredient, smacks of placebo...

Aspirin works in it's own right being very similar to the caffeic acid that makes Caffenol work.

That will be the salicylic acid. I am not too sure I could bring myself to use either personally- it will remind me too much of my day job! ;)

I was wondering what peoples thoughts are on it? Does anybody here take them on a regular basis? The reports on the use of it seem to change like the weather, the latest from 3 days ago suggest that it is good for you in small doses.

Dunno... but best we don't forget that pharmaceutical companies are in recession also, and their bills are far more important than our long term health.

;)

I only ever take it before long flights as my dad has had DVT a few times. I'm also pretty tall so tend to be cramped on a plane. I'm fairly active so not overly concerned about taking it every day at the moment.

Don't bother:
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publication...ions/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_4005997

While there is evidence that graduated compression stockings may be useful there is no evidence that aspirin is effective in preventing travel-related DVT or PE

:)I take exercise regular.................

If you take Asprin make sure they are the coated type,can't remember the name of the coating though. It helps to stop tummy problems.

Back