Assen Motogp tips/hints

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Just booked up for the Assen Motogp in June. Never been before so Im hoping for some info as to the best points of the course to shoot, best time of day to be at these positions with regard to sun position?

Not much to ask I know:LOL:, but looking fo this info to based for paying spectators - Unless anyone cares to give me a media pass:LOL:

If you are going for the whole weekend including practise + qualifying then you have access to the whole track boundaries, i was there a few years back when Rossi went from 11th to 1st.
i found the long right hander at the far end of the circuit to be a good area for shots, and from there leading to the chicane twisty section before the finish line. During qualifying the straight after the long right hander i mentioned you will have the chance of real close ups, this is where a lot of the practise their starts.
Off track also will provide some interesting shots if you are staying in Assen as its nuts the whole weekend. Enjoy

Kev

If you are going for the whole weekend including practise + qualifying then you have access to the whole track boundaries, i was there a few years back when Rossi went from 11th to 1st.
i found the long right hander at the far end of the circuit to be a good area for shots, and from there leading to the chicane twisty section before the finish line. During qualifying the straight after the long right hander i mentioned you will have the chance of real close ups, this is where a lot of the practise their starts.
Off track also will provide some interesting shots if you are staying in Assen as its nuts the whole weekend. Enjoy

Kev

Thanks Kev, Should be there for all 3 days. Im staying about 4 miles out of Assen, but will be there for the Friday night. I've heard it's madness

Graham

Can't say I noticed any places that weren't fenced off with 2.5m high chainlink catch fence. Outside of the grandstand filled stadium area (start-finish and the infield bit) there are earth banks all the way around pretty much, so you could shoot over the fence if that floats your boat.

You'll probably need at least 300mm though, maybe more.

My other tip is bloody earplugs for at night :D

Hopefully I'll see you there.

Oh and the far end of the track without the grandstands is an afternoon shot, and where there are grandstands you can't get to the track, and all the grandstands are sold out by now and smell of wee anyway :D

Can't say I noticed any places that weren't fenced off with 2.5m high chainlink catch fence. Outside of the grandstand filled stadium area (start-finish and the infield bit) there are earth banks all the way around pretty much, so you could shoot over the fence if that floats your boat.

You'll probably need at least 300mm though, maybe more.

My other tip is bloody earplugs for at night :D

Hopefully I'll see you there.

Cheers Andy, earplugs packed:D
doesn't sound inspiring for shots from the spectator side, still only what I expected really. Can't make my mind up to lug the 400mm f2.8 or just take a 300mm f4 (can borrow it from a mate) with a 1.4 t/c and just enjoy the racing more. But I know if I take the 300 I will wish I had the 400 with me:)

I'll have a rumage through my shots from last time and see if I have any at all that will show you what it looks like. I might...

This kinda shows you what I mean I hope

assen.jpg

(not the best image, just selected to show you the point I was making - C&C not required :D)

This kinda shows you what I mean I hope

assen.jpg

(not the best image, just selected to show you the point I was making - C&C not required :D)

It does (y) many thanks
so this fencing is around the rest of the track at the bottom end away from the Grandstand area and all of it is an afternoon shot?
Will have to find on old DVD with an assen race on to have a gander.

Ok, here is some more intel for you.

My pic below of the end of the circuit we are talking about (other end is grandstands only) shows the blue stripe where you can stand on the banking, the red stripe is where I think the best shots will be (feel free to contradict me!). Note the sun direction indicators...

The light pink blob is where the shot I showed you above was taken, the darker pink X is where the shot below is taken (obviously you won't get as low as I did, but there is some great wheelie popping out of a slow corner there :D)

map:

assenguide.jpg

Shot at the purple X

ass_tt_ak_20100626_2141.jpg

That was my fave spot I found really, but only in the afternoons.

Ok, here is some more intel for you.

My pic below of the end of the circuit we are talking about (other end is grandstands only) shows the blue stripe where you can stand on the banking, the red stripe is where I think the best shots will be (feel free to contradict me!). Note the sun direction indicators...

The light pink blob is where the shot I showed you above was taken, the darker pink X is where the shot below is taken (obviously you won't get as low as I did, but there is some great wheelie popping out of a slow corner there :D)

map:

assenguide.jpg

Shot at the purple X

ass_tt_ak_20100626_2141.jpg

That was my fave spot I found really, but only in the afternoons.

Thaks Andy it's really appreciated,:clap: its people like you that makes these forums so helpful. I do like to get a bit of prior knowledge if i can.

I promise no more questions..... at least for 2 to 3 days:D

Owe you a few beers if you got the time and inclination

Thaks Andy it's really appreciated,:clap: its people like you that makes these forums so helpful. I do like to get a bit of prior knowledge if i can.

I promise no more questions..... at least for 2 to 3 days:D

Owe you a few beers if you got the time and inclination

No problem! I put Gary over the coals before I went there last year and also managed to find a very helpful Dutch tog who also gave me some great tips, which I have shared with you here :)

There are a few more places to shoot from trackside that are good, but all out of reach for the public.

We're setting up our diary on the website so if you see anywhere where we are and you're gonna be, gimme a shout and we'll get together and slurp some beer/coffee/cough mixture :D

Have a look on google earth it might give a few clues.

It does, but unless you understand what its showing you by having been there its hard to read the images.

I don't suppose you could have guessed where the banking was, the heights of the catch fences or maybe even that on my pic there are some grandstands in the way.

No problem! I put Gary over the coals before I went there last year and also managed to find a very helpful Dutch tog who also gave me some great tips, which I have shared with you here :)

There are a few more places to shoot from trackside that are good, but all out of reach for the public.

We're setting up our diary on the website so if you see anywhere where we are and you're gonna be, gimme a shout and we'll get together and slurp some beer/coffee/cough mixture :D

Will do:D

Awesome info here.
I'll be there on a stag do camping just South of the circuit afaik :)

Only have a 70-200 f/2.8 IS so might borrow,hire,invest in a 1.4TC.

Back