Beginner Assistance with new lens choice

Edit My Images
No
Hi All

This is my first post here and I would appreciate some assistance in lens choice.
I am looking to upgrade from an old sigma 28-300 (+7 years old).

I have attached a shortlist of potential lenses that I think are decent substitutes, I have a 12-24 lens and looking for a good image quality travel lens.

I would appreciate some input.

Thanks

have owned over half of those . my thoughts are the super telephotos ( such as you already have ) that range from 18 all the way through to 200 or 300 really arent going to do you any favours in terms of image quality over what you already have. zooms that cross such a range will always suffer with average image quality.
the sigma 70-300 is ok but gets weak on the 300 end, the best of the bunch is the 70-300 IS USM ( the IS makes a huge difference ) and the 55-250 which is actually for a kit lens exceptionally good in terms of quality for a kit lens.
However saying all that i would opt for a 70-200f/4 L lens each and every time. a second hand one will cost around the same as a new 55-250 and less than a new 70-300 IS and give you far better image quality ( sure its a shorter range but thats what feet are for! ) , it will wipe the floor of all the others lenses in terms of sharpness and image quality.

Last edited:
Thanks Dean, it is South African Rands. I will use the Lens for wildlife so the extra 100mm is always tempting over the 70-200, but as u say I will suffer on image quality

ok so a quick conversion 7000 rands is around £364 , so that puts your top end budget around say £350.
if you hunt around you may actually be able to pick up a SH canon 70-200 F/4 L for around £300-350
or with a bit of ebay luck or maybe on some forums a SH sigma 150-500 can be grabbed for around £350 as well.
or just over a sigma 120-400 such as here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-AF-...78?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item2ee2d3203a

Not for the budget though although for wildlife this would be my choice. 70-200 f4 is a great lens for the money, but a little short for wildlife but you could add a 1.4x tc for flexibility. I wouldn't go for the super zooms (10x etc)

Save up and buy properly first time. You'll only end up buying something cheaper then selling it to get what you want! used I've seen them sell for £600.

Back