Asteroid captured ....... a small presentation

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's something TOTALLY away from what I usually do, but bear with me! I hope you can see the video capture below. (Looks like you have to click on the black image to see the video via Flickr)

The other night I accidentally discovered that I had imaged something a little out of the normal for me (You can see the information on my website http://www.swagastro.com/asteroids-and-me.html - The upshot is that I have captured an asteroid! OK, so it's only a 'white dot' but it is only 43km in diameter and travelling at 18km/s and it's located in the Main Asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter!

To think I captured it (how ever much of a 'white dot' it is) from my garden with my kit I find very impressive and kind of exciting and mind blowing too!

The asteroid (582) Olympia
by Sara Wager, on Flickr

Last edited:
I always like looking at your images, and this is something a little different too. Good luck in your continued hunt.

Neat. An interesting video, very informative.

Awesome, what a wonderful and delightful find you must have been very happy.

Hope it didn't bu99er up the image you were trying to capture! Even if it did, I reckon it's probably an interesting enough bu99eration for it not to be too much of a PITA.

Thanks guys for your comments - @Nod It won't spoil the main image as I'll just clone it out :)

I'm glad that people found the presentation interesting.... I'll do more as I image them!

Great capture, I'm always amazed by what you can capture from our little ball of rock

Back