Beginner Astro Filter.

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone i am new to Astro photography and i hope some one can help me on a filter issue for Astro. I have been looking at an STC Clip Astro-MS (Astro Multispectra) filter for Nikon D5200 and i need to know if it's worth while getting this filter. If anyone has any information please pass it on to me.

Depends how much light pollution you're dealing with and crucially what sort.

If there's very little (north Northumberland, Dumfries & Galloway, Borders, Highlands, deepest mid/West Wales... ) - pointless

If the predominant pollution is LED lights (broad spectrum white) - it's the same spectrum you're looking to capture in the image, so the pollution will be reduced and so will the starlight by the same factor.

Sodium discharge (the old yellow/orange) - it probably works best for this.

Way way better to find somewhere properly dark.

If you need a filter it does work. I had one in my Canon 350D and it was definitely better with it. Eventually I had the IR filter removed from the sensor. Obviously that's not an option if you need the camera for normal photography as well. Be aware that the filter isn't the easiest of things to routinely take in an out (don't put your fingers all over it). I seem to remember there were some lenses I couldn't use with it in (it may be the EF lenses were okay but my one EF-S lens didn't fit). If you're using the camera on a scope it's not a problem.
It's great if you can get somewhere away from all light pollution but it's often just not possible. I'm based in the SW and the only 'dark' places are on high ground. High ground is a cloud magnet............... If you're working with a scope or long lens, as I do, a bit of light pollution isn't too much of an issue. If you're doing Milky Way shots it'll be a huge issue.

Many thanks to you both for your replies I did think it may cut out light from some of the stars so i guess i will keep on without it. Again many thanks i get fairly good shots without anyway.

Back