Astronomy photos

Name
Laura
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone else take photos of stars? I was in the lakes last week so thought I would give it a try. I used a variety of equipment on long exposure. I used a lumix tz10 and a nikon d60 and a 70-200 f2.8 lens or attached it to my Meade tc80 telescope. Can anyone give me some pointers?

http://photobucket.com/albums/y100/corbs36/astronomy

8856b1c8.png

I took the following shot last weekend:

I used the following equipment:

Canon 5D MK II, Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L

The settings used were:

24mm, f/2.8, ISO 3200, 20 Second exposure.

Depending on how good your camera is with noise i would start at ISO 800 and then go higher to find out what works best for you.

I also set the white balance to Tungsten.

I'm a sucker for astrophotography, no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do love heading oout there at night getting star trails and wide starfields. When I have tried to take pictures of the stars through the telescope (sky-watcher) though I end up with pretty blurry shots.

I'd have a start at something easier through the scope, like the moon which won't move as much for you and you can get some great crater detail through a telescope. As suggested above, start with as high an ISO as your camera can handle without getting too noisy, and be sure to use mirror lock-up as well.

I'd seriously love to get into it, but don't have the time to be honest.........

But I think you might get on with our John (jgs001) commonly know as Patrick Moore!!

Check out some of his work, he is utterly incredible at Astro stuff;

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=7939

(Link to his profile)

Prepare to be blown away by his work :eek:
Honestly, John is very passionate about his Astro work, and some of his images have been published in the Sky At Night mag, even winning the photo of the month competition with his INCREDIBLE moon shot recently :clap:
He has produced some of the best shots I have ever seen.

I gave this a go recently. I would love to do deep sky stuff but don't really have the time/money to invest in a telescope and mount. I don't really know what to look for either but it's very enjoyable just gazing!

DSC_5479c.jpg

DSC_5488.jpg

Love the first one Nick, can you tell me what lens and settings were used?

I've recently decided to do a gcse in astronomy and one of the assignments is to quantify the effect of light pollution by taking photographs of distant stars at two different locations so I'm not so sure that a general photo of the sky would be any good, anyone got any tips for more zoomed photos of constellations? I can't identify any of the constellations in mine lol

Anyone else take photos of stars? I was in the lakes last week so thought I would give it a try. I used a variety of equipment on long exposure. I used a lumix tz10 and a nikon d60 and a 70-200 f2.8 lens or attached it to my Meade tc80 telescope. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Hi Laura
:thinking: It looks to me like you have captured the stars okay, some nice colour too! .. but it also looks to me out of focus and some trailing! Try using the camera with a normal short FL lens to get focus and keep the exposure time down a bit to stop the trailing and lets see what you get? then as you master that move on to the longer FL ... HTH!
BTW does your scope have tracking capabilities?

Hi Laura, a good start, nice colours showing there.. Agree also on the slight trailing and focus.

Back