Non UK Astrophotography in the Pyrenees

Name
Stephen Hollingsworth
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got 2 weeks off work, a campervan ready to go and the Plymouth to Roscoff ferry booked for Weds evening. The intention is to drive to somewhere in the Pyrenees for a week of nightscape/landscape astrophotography (call it what you want I'm talking about photos of picturesque mountains with the Milky Way in the background).

I've never been to the Pyrenees and have very little knowledge of the area so any advice or location suggestions would be much appreciated.

Currently my only thoughts are to visit the area near Pic du Midi de Bigorre purely because I know there's an observatory there and so hopefully dark skies.

My main concern is obviously about the weather as clear skies are pretty essential. Currently the forecast for the end of this week is looking good. Any longer term forecasts quite frankly I don't trust.

Anyone with any tips or advice I'd love to hear from you.

So many places. It's an amazing area and not just for Astro ;)

You must go to Midi D'Ossau - take the GR10 hike from Lac de Bious Artigues to the refuge Ayous. There's some great backdrops that would work well.

The Canyon Anisclo would make a great spot as would pretty much anything in the Ordesa Valley.

Gavarnie at the Col de Tentes could work. Lac de Oredon and Lac Cap de Long could work well with a starry sky. Ibon de Piedtrafita would work well but you'll want 14mm.

Click on my website link and follow to my blog. More detail on spots, scenes etc.

Back