At a bit of a crossroads

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I've currently got a D3400 and a few DX lenses (Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Nikon 35mm f1.8, and the Nikon 18-55 kit) but am looking to upgrade my gear to something a bit more substantial in terms of features (in particular auto focus, bracketing, built in intervalometer, better low light performance, easier to use i.e. not digging through the menus as much). The Nikon D7500 looked to be an obvious choice due to the fact I can still use my existing lenses and I also looked at a second hand D750, but I'd have to get full frame lenses.

However, I have also been looking at other camera systems such as the Fuji with the XT-3 but know little about the platform outside of what I've watched on YouTube and learnt on a quick trip to Jessops. Photography wise, I shoot mostly landscapes, astrophotography, and travel/city.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..

I've currently got a D3400 and a few DX lenses (Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Nikon 35mm f1.8, and the Nikon 18-55 kit) but am looking to upgrade my gear to something a bit more substantial in terms of features (in particular auto focus, bracketing, built in intervalometer, better low light performance, easier to use i.e. not digging through the menus as much). The Nikon D7500 looked to be an obvious choice due to the fact I can still use my existing lenses and I also looked at a second hand D750, but I'd have to get full frame lenses.

However, I have also been looking at other camera systems such as the Fuji with the XT-3 but know little about the platform outside of what I've watched on YouTube and learnt on a quick trip to Jessops. Photography wise, I shoot mostly landscapes, astrophotography, and travel/city.

Any thoughts would be appreciated..
Ive had multiple nikons right up to a D810 but finally the weight of everything got me down. Moved to Fuji with xt-3 and I have to say was nervous making move but I love it now, mainly landscape work I do but have used it for most other genres and it's a brilliant but of kit... not sure if this helps but thought I'd reply..good luck with whatever you get.

The Nikon D500 is the obvious choice, and I've seen a couple go used on here around £900 since Christmas. If you like the DX format then it's got as close as you're going to find to top end FX performance in pretty much all areas.

Think long and hard about what you shoot and what kit you’ll need/want moving forwards as quite often when you reach these crossroads it starts becoming quite expensive and you want to make sure you invest in the right system.

There’s recently been a shift towards mirrorless from the big players and so it may be a case that DSLRs will be ‘phased out’ at some point, along with their lenses. However, I can’t see that happening for quite some time yet.

Thanks all for the replies - I hadn't considered the D500 due to looking at the D7500 which is essentially it's little brother.

Back