At first I was ugly, then I was furry, then I became beautiful! :) 1-28

Tori

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tori
Edit My Images
Yes
Lot's of critique needed as I have lots of butterflies to pick from and I'd like to pick the best ones for a photobook :) Thanks!

#1 Not exactly ugly, but a bit slimey looking....
IMG_5977.jpg

#2 Then I grew spiky things and hair...
IMG_5885.jpg

#3 But then I became something so beautiful...Glasswing
IMG_5800.jpg

#4 Tiger heliconian
IMG_5896.jpg

#5 Monach Butterfly
IMG_5955.jpg

#6 Glasswing
IMG_5850.jpg

Last edited:
very nice - don't think i have seen any with see through wings........ how close were you to them?

Thanks Lynton x As close as I could get without snorting one up my nose :LOL:

Last edited:
The nicest ones I have seen (y)

Will make a great book.

Thanks Nicki :) I'm not so keen on number 6 now I've posted it up. I have a few more to come, maybe tomorrow :)

I can't see any photos Tori, is the Internetz broken or is my PC lacking chocolate cake :thumbsdown:

Thanks Lynton x As close as I could get without snorting one up my nose :LOL:

I did ;)

I can see them all :shrug: It must be just your end? Tim did a good picture with the butterfly up your nose. Mine made you look about 10 years older, sorry about that! ;-)

I would have a preference for No 3, No 4 looks a bit soft, next in line would be No 6. The see through wing type ones are sort of spoiled IMO by the light spots in the background. Dont suppose there was much you could do about that though K ah Tori:D

#3, #4 and #6 for me are the favourites. Very nicely captured Tori, they are all beautiful but those are the ones that stand out for me. Nice work. What lens did you use?

If you drop by at the centre now there are two Atlas moths in the house. They are very pretty and the sheer size of it is absolutely stunning. Their wingspan can reach up to 12in and the colours are absolutely vibrant.

Would make a very nice addition in your photobook ;)

Thanks Brian, yes I need to think more carefully still about backgrounds agreed :) Sometimes the light just seems to creep in :LOL:

Thanks Amin :) Do you work at the butterfly house? I was only there last Sunday and didn't see the Atlas moths? They must be new? I did see the large white butterflies which looked like moths? I have some more to post so feel free to correct on their names ;-)

I used my fifty and a kit lens for these, with some cheap extenders :)

Last edited:
Thanks Brian, yes I need to think more carefully still about backgrounds agreed :) Sometimes the light just seems to creep in :LOL:

Thanks Amin :) Do you work at the butterfly house?
:)

Tori, Yes, I do their photography and spend quite a bit of time there. Call me a lucky guy if you want ha :).

I was going to drop by there on the day you all were there but I am kind of shy in character so decided to do processing work sitting down here instead and skip the meet :). No wonder some of my friends call me anti-social :).

Next time you drop by and see a strange looking chap with a canon kit running around like a headless chicken from one area to another in the grounds do stop and say hello, he is not that anti-social as the friends imply him to be ;).

The leaf cutter ants exhibition is on and they are fantastic, really fascinating. Let me know if you would like to see a sample or two of the little beauties at work.

And the names are fully correct. Unless you want to add their scientific names too then let me know.

Last edited:
Amin, how interesting! You really should of joined us, we're a friendly bunch! It wasn't you I saw wandering around with a ring flash was it by any chance?
When is your biome starting work? I would like to pop back when it's a bit bigger and there are more varieties of butterflies? I did manage to capture the glasswing though, which I'd visited especially for :)
I'd love to see the ants! Post them up :)
I've hunted on the internet for some of the names of the butterflies, but some I cannot find. I'll start another thread this evening, so please feel free to name them and save me a job! :LOL:

Christine, thanks for commenting, that's kind of you to say :)

While I had five minutes, I've added my next 6...

#7 I believe this is a white morpho
IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5971.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

#10 Glasswing
IMG_5836.jpg

#11 Male Common Mormon?
IMG_5773.jpg

#12 Banded orange Heliconian
IMG_5868.jpg

Last edited:
Amin, how interesting! You really should of joined us, we're a friendly bunch! It wasn't you I saw wandering around with a ring flash was it by any chance?

Tori, nope, ring flash guy wasn't me, can't afford one ;).
If you ventured into the Cafeteria and through their extension though the 36in posters of butterfly images were taken by me on the grounds, and the ones in the study centre also.

I will do what I can to help you name them if you get stuck, am no expert in in them, all I know is just to take pictures of them :), but if I get stuck I will get the name from in-house entomologist, he is got an encyclopedic knowledge of these little beauties.

Give me a shout when you are going back and I might be able to join you, hopefully if I get over my shyness :).

Last edited:
Beautiful set Tori. Seems like you mastered the nifty fifty and the tubes, :), those are fantastic shots.

#12 is Dryadula phaetusa also known as the Banded Orange Heliconian, and you got the other ones spot on :)

Tori, what time were you there on sunday? I was there on sunday but definitely no ring flash :).

Last edited:
Amin, yes we did venture into the cafe. Some of the pics were really good! i loved the bottle top butterflies the kids had done too! We were there ffrom 2pm until after closing time. in fact we thought we'd been locked in! :LOL:

I don't know about mastered, some of them are still a bit soft for my liking :crying: It shows up more when you post pics up on here!

What lens do you use? Your ants are fabulous! They are so sharp :)

Thanks 888 :)

Still more to come....:LOL:

Still more to come....:LOL:

Thanks Tori, I use a combination of lenses, depending on what I could be doing. Mainly its the Canon 180mm, on its own or sometimes with the canon 1.4TC. I also do use the 70-200mm f/2.8 when the situation demands and the Canon 300mm prime, specially because of its close focusing distance at 1.5m, very handy to have at times handheld.

Let them come, can never have enough of these little beauties :).

Sounds like an expensive colleection! I love the 70-200, I'd like that to be my next lens! That or a macro lens of course ;-)

Some more butterflies coming soon! :)

Ok here are the next six :LOL: everyone will be fed up with butterflies!
#13 Tiger Heliconian
IMG_5988.jpg

#14 Postman butterfly
IMG_5919.jpg

#15 Banded orange heliconian
IMG_5869.jpg

#16 Monach Butterfly
IMG_5959.jpg

#17 Glasswing
IMG_5849.jpg

#18 Postman butterfly
IMG_5954.jpg

Last edited:
#15, #16 and #17 for me, and definitely #15 is the star of the collection Tori.
You are going to have a fantastic photobook.

Anymore? :) One can never get fed up of these little beauties

I love #15! It's my favourite. Thanks x I have ten more, can you handle ten more?!

I love #15! It's my favourite. Thanks x I have ten more, can you handle ten more?!

go on :), let them come, its always a feast to the eye looking at these little beauties :)... waiting

:LOL: I think we may be alone in this thread now hun! :(

well, its friday and most might be with a beer in front of the telly ha:LOL:. Probably butterflies must be the last thing they might be looking at, but hey, I am biased here because I virtually live amongst them and few things bring me as much pleasure as viewing them.
Want to see what an atlas moth looks like? They were put in the house on Tuesday that's why you didnt see them on sunday when you visited. I might have a pic of it here somewhere

Last edited:
I had a quick google earlier, but sure post up :) So I was two days too early :(

I had a quick google earlier, but sure post up :) So I was two days too early :(
:LOL: you beat me to it then, will leave the space for your uploads in that case :). Where are they by the way? Thought you were processing them. Do you have any more of the glasswings still? The ones you uploaded are very nice indeed, you got them at really nice angles

Numbers 9 and 15 work best for me Tori. One slight crit is the glasswings... might want to edit out out a mark or two on the wings, assuming it is a mark and not part of the wing. Can't be certain at this res.

Last edited:
Thanks for commenting Jon. Yes the glasswings look kind of dusty :( I'll have a re edit later tonight I think. I have ten more pics to go, then I need to pick 20 decent ones :)

My next 6...
#19 Black & White Zebra Heliconian
IMG_5775.jpg

#20 Glasswing
IMG_5990.jpg

#21 Dead Leaf Butterfly
IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

#23 Black & White Zebra Heliconian
IMG_5936.jpg

#24 Glasswing
IMG_5924.jpg

...and these four are the last, all Tiger Heliconians. I need to decide which of these are the best now, any help appreciated! :) I'm sorry if you're all bored of butterflies now, but I've looked at so many now I don't know which I prefer!

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5909.jpg

IMG_5904.jpg

IMG_5906.jpg

Last edited:
These are lovely Tori. Going to get my big chance tomorrow as a TP meet at the Butterfly farm in Stratford so interested to know what lens you used?

Di

Far too many images for a proper Critique- some are very good - some are not

Les (y)

Thanks Di, mainly my kit lens with a cheap +4 on, or my fifty :)

Les, which do you not think are good enough? I'd be interested to know? I know there are alot sorry.

Back