At night

Edit My Images
No
Thinking of going to this, could anyone recommend a half decent lens I could use ?? Thinking along the lines of 50mm f1.8, 18-200 f2.8 ??

I have done the identical one in Cambridge. My 24-70 2.8 was the lens for me, I often like primes but wasn't always to move around too easily - height is often your friend (standing on things).

Yep a 24-70/2.8 with VC would probably be the most effective choice, if you're on DX, go with the equivalent 17-50 lens.

Good luck! Sounds like an ideal walk-around option - as long as the distortions and CA are well controlled...

What lenses do you have already?

If you can be bothered (and are allowed) to take a tripod, any lens will do this easily. No need to spend anything. Just use a long shutter.

If it needs to be hand held I agree with whoever suggested getting something with VR/VC/OS. A nice wide aperture zoom or prime might gain you a stop or two but the best VR systems can give you up 5 stops. Makes a massive difference. Not as much as a tripod though!

I think Stewart was hinting that you will be hard pressed to find an 18-200mm f2.8 lens as in there are none

There are few on eBay but can I justify the cost ? I know they are a great walkabout lens, but I have to think about the pennies at the moment.

There are few on eBay but can I justify the cost ? I know they are a great walkabout lens, but I have to think about the pennies at the moment.

Really, you have located an 18 - 200mm zoom with a constant f2.8 max aperture......have you got a link???

Last edited:
Yep, 24-70 2.8 would be best.
35 1.8 might do.

Do you still have a crop camera? If so, a 28 2.8 would be better, or just use the standard 18-55

Really, you have located an 18 - 200mm zoom with a constant f2.8 max aperture......have you got a link???
No sorry crossed lines, I was talking about a 70-200 f2.8, or the 18-200 f3.5-5.6. Sorry

Back