At the velodrome - novice session

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Had some fun at the velodrome last night. I did do some riding, not just taking pictures but as it was a novice 'taster' session I was using it as practice to see how my eBay purchased 80-200/2.8 AT-X would fare.. (Not brilliantly on the focus speed stakes - and below f4 you lose contrast, otherwise fine)

5666628286_790e901196.jpg

5666618636_296c89acea.jpg

5666027459_1e231c6dbf.jpg

track_DSC_5869 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

track_DSC_5896 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Composition on the last shot works best for me. My only gripe is that they look like they're out for a relaxed cruise despite the pain in their faces. Maybe a little motion blur would add to the shots? Or a shallower DOF, perhaps?

no, i was being a wee bit humerous and a wee bit truthful. Having ridden Medowbank, Manchester, Scunthorpe, Halesowen and numerous others, the track at Dundee is of a lower standard. The surface is so rough and bumpy you can't run race wheels and the banking is so shallow as when the sprinters or fast endurance riders are going full gas the rear tyre jumps out of line. The banking at Herne Hill is more than twice as steep as Caird park, at 30 deg compared to 14 and as such avoids these problems. It is also unsafe since there is no safety fence around the top of the banking and there has been an incident where a rider (an experianced semi-pro) has gone through the hedge and into the thorns below again Herne Hill has a proper barrier. There is a spring meeting, holding a round of the British National Sprinters league and i can guarantee it will be the least well attended meeting of the series, because people don't like riding there. I know very well the Stewart family who live and race in Dundee the older son Kevin was on the Olympic development plan for two years and came down to medowbank because Caird Park didnt have enough banking.

I did not mean to be rude, nor cause offence to you. It was meant as a wee bit of fun.

I'm aware this is also a photography forum, and I like your photo's I've been lamenting my lack of a longer fast zoom for a while.

callum

Cheers..

Caird Park is due for resurfacing and a bit more banking, and a new fence (all hopefully at the end of this year. It is very accessible for pics though.

I might have to spring for a new body as the venerable D80 is not really keeping up with the focus.

Motion blur:

Hard to do well, usually they just look crap.

track_DSC_5880 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

Cool pics, the ones taken from lower down look better in my opinion.

The wide shots are taken with me lying down. The long shots with the camera about 15" from the ground on the unextended monopod.

Might get the time to wander up to the 'drome for the spring meeting on Sunday - see if I can get anything decent.

There will be some interesting sprinting going on i think, and loads of kids stuff. I'll be riding the endurance omnium, might bring me camera too!

Back