Critique Athens: The Acropolis taken from Philopappou hill

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Athens has to be one of the most magical and inspiring places I have had the pleasure of visiting. My time there was all to brief and this wonderful city has so much to see and do. Its also blessed with open space and hills within itself, allowing a unique view over the city. I love open space and the feeling of being on top of the world. I hope this captures this part of the city for you

It was a hazy day, but I had a crack at the golden hour, the light was very diffused sadly.

_DSC1180 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Cheeky B&W

_DSC1180 (1) by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

The blue hour series...I took a few different variations on a theme as its so far from home. I will be back, but not soon. I had planned crudly on google maps taking an evening blue hour in up here. I'd recommend it.

_DSC1204 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC1206 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC1208 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC1209 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

_DSC1212 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Heavier edit of the last image

_DSC1212 (1) by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

Last edited:
The haze was unreal, I've never seen anything like it. I'd love to go back. Its a stunning place just to spend time up there. I went up the hill in the distance, well got a taxi up. Taxi's are cheap there, everthing is cheap. Its way better than Rome IMHO.

Definitely the final 2 shots for me as I think the warmth from the lights really helps the shots, although I think the foreground rock is maybe a bit too prominent in all of them.

I like the rocks in the foreground in the final shot because they balance the sky but perhaps they could do with reducing by about 50%.

I felt I had to include either none, or a lot of the rock. Including less and IMHO it looks like its unintentionally there and been sloppily framed. The rock, its lovely pale colour to me just screams Mediterranean and its that feel of Mediterranean I wanted to capture here

I'd be leaning towards 08 or 09 as the lights just look a little overdone on the main buildings in the last couple, but that's a minor crit, it's a wonderful view.

PS: I went to Dubrovnik, Croatia a couple of years ago, that's well worth a visit too, very photogenic.

Reactions: ST4
Last one for me also. I showed this pic to the in laws who were there at thwe same time as you, and also agree on the last one,

Excellent shot! Has it been sharpened in post?

A little sharpening done to all. I use LV focussing etc to ensure I get it right, but just a little sharpen after never hurts. What I would say, is that the wind was surprisingly strong, so there is some motion blur on the trees. Short of shooting at ISO2000 plus, this was something I couldn't avoid. The rock was right in front of me also, so wanted to keep the apature reasonably narrow.

Last edited:
Back