Athletics with a cheap lens

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier this week I got an invite and media pass for the L.E.A.P. athletics meet at Loughborough University, which was the last oppertunity for athletes looking for an Olympic qualifying grade. Although the athletics was top class I was really disappointed with the shots I got. The weather was dismal dark and showery. shooting at ISO 800 for the most part. These conditions showed that the Sigma 70-300 zoom is just not up to the job in less than ideal conditions.
So it's time to save up for some quality glass.
Why didn't I pick a cheaper hobby

Womens 100m Hurdles
Hurdler.jpg

Womens 100m Hurdles
Hurdler 2.jpg

This guy won the 110m Hurdles but missed the qualifying time by a Gnats.
Just missed.jpg

i have to disagree with you, because i am quite pleased with your shots. great job :clap:

Athletics is tough, and whilst there's some definite limitations with cheaper lenses, you just have to learn to work to its strengths. From a composition and action capture point of view, you have some good shots here!

I don't agree with you laying all the blame at the door of the lens. The 40d (saw from your EXIF info!) is obviously not as great at higher ISOs as the more expensive cameras. But it shouldn't matter at 800 if you shoot in RAW and remove colour noise in Camera Raw editor or PS.

There is always exposure compensation, or again using software to fix anything that is too dark, etc.

The only flaws in that particular lens are the limitations of the max aperture (f4-5.6) and the AF is slightly slow. I have the same lens (Sigma 70-300 DG) and it's alright for most things.

To freeze your subjects in low light especially in track events where they are moving fast will be more demanding, but I wouldn't run the lens completely into the ground - as your shots go to show it can be done and done well!

Thanks for the comments.
Looking back, some of the problems stem from me changing my shooting habits. After reading some Pro advice in a magazine, I changed to shooting jpeg with shutter priority, I usually use RAW and aperture priority or manual, half way through the meet I changed back to Av but still shot jpeg. I think in future I will stick with RAW.

The Sigma's a bit slow if it has to go through the whole range, so I'd suggest tracking the subject with it for a bit before you take the shot. I know, I took on swallows with it and a D50 (difficult, but fun).

I can't see noise being a problem in any of these shots.

Stick with the Shutter priority mode if you don't to Manual mode for sports.

Back